Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 03:54 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,198 times

Advertisements

So I was on my work this morning and turned on the radio to listen to Lex and Terry, as I do every day, and there was some country sounding guy on there talking to someone about Sarah Palin. Later today I turned it on again, and there was a soundbite from Rush Limbaugh, and more country sounding guys talkin about Sarah Palin. What gives? Does this mean that Birmingham officially has 0 rock stations now? Just because this is the south doesn't mean we all love NASCAR, listen to country music, and kiss the Republicans feet...Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 08:13 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Because the local Rock station is dead. The iPod and Satellite Radio have killed it. In fact, I'm pretty sure that all local music-oriented stations will be dead in the next decade. Local talk and sports will be the only formats that will prove viable in any local market.

Think about it. You're driving to work in the morning. You just want to hear some music as you start the day. But, instead, you have to listen to the babbling of some fifth-rate comedian, followed by eight commercials and maybe two songs. OR you can plug in your iPod or go to Satellite Radio and listen to whatever you damn well please without any interruptions whatsoever.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 PM

283 posts, read 375,329 times
Some people don't have iPods or sat radio, and some just want to listen to whatever comes up on the radio. Looks like when the demand for a rock station returns, someone will start up another station.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:34 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
Some people don't have iPods or sat radio, and some just want to listen to whatever comes up on the radio. Looks like when the demand for a rock station returns, someone will start up another station.
Wouldn't count on it and, even if it does, it won't last long. The number of listeners to local radio in the key demos is dropping like a paralyzed falcon.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 5,215 times
Default Fifth rate or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Because the local Rock station is dead. The iPod and Satellite Radio have killed it. In fact, I'm pretty sure that all local music-oriented stations will be dead in the next decade. Local talk and sports will be the only formats that will prove viable in any local market.

Think about it. You're driving to work in the morning. You just want to hear some music as you start the day. But, instead, you have to listen to the babbling of some fifth-rate comedian, followed by eight commercials and maybe two songs. OR you can plug in your iPod or go to Satellite Radio and listen to whatever you damn well please without any interruptions whatsoever.
If I want talk, I'll listen to 90.3, NPR.

Simply put, too many old and moldy people have a say so in what goes on here. They want to say that "market research" shows that everyone listening to the radio is older than Moses, so we need talk radio; the ancients listening to the radio want that, it's easy on their ears. And all of us know, depending on their age, they can just turn off their attention (or hearing aid, which ever) if they don't want to hear what's being said.

The simple fact is, more and more old people want to listen to talk radio, so make talk radio the one's you have to subscribe to on XM or whatever. XM (or whoever) gets their money, and the talk radio station would get more money than their ads bring in. Look at that, something that makes SENSE.

WERC, give us our morning show and radio station back. Move your talk radio to XM, you'll make more money. And when my generation gets old, then we won't care about loud music and end up subsribing to you for talk. You'll get your money in the end (well, I'll subscribe when I get old as long as there is no Rush Limbaugh).

As for being able to turn on the Sat. radio and getting music or whatever without commercials...
Look at today's economy, how many can actually afford satalite radio? Personally, if I can get my hands on one of those satalite receivers, I'm gonna hack it and get it for free. I'll be damned; if I'm going to be forced to listen to satalite radio just to get what i had for free, somebody else can pay for it.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:58 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Birmingham radio sucks and has since the Rock died...but so does everybody else's.

Don't look for XM/Sirius to take up the slack. Since the two merged, there are more channels with commercials, and more channels that are just repeaters for big-city radio stations.

And if you want to hear new artists or new music on XM/Sirius? VERY hard to find there...there are a couple of channels, but that's it. Want a mix of rock-country-oldies-punk-soul-hip hop-new wave-etc.? Forget it. Choose your genre, and listen to the 6-hour-long tape/cd/dvd over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,972 times
It sucks that 105.5 the Vulcan is off the air, and the main reason I listened to it was because of Lex and Terry in the morning. I was PO'd that it went off the air. On top of all that it was with no warning!! Thanks alot to whoever handled that.... real professional....

Old 07-09-2009, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,875 times
I am completely outraged that we are now all radio wave hostages. I thought this was supposed to be a free country!!! The political blow-hards are taking over everything, forcing there opinion and taking away our free choice. Or is it the big business forcing us to buy there new products by not allowing any choices that are free. In a time of financial belt tightening, we can no longer maintain our sanity driving in Birmingham traffic hell by listening to something that is actually entertaining. Shame on you political and business communists!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 04:34 PM

350 posts, read 1,312,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiffon View Post
I am completely outraged that we are now all radio wave hostages. I thought this was supposed to be a free country!!! The political blow-hards are taking over everything, forcing there opinion and taking away our free choice. Or is it the big business forcing us to buy there new products by not allowing any choices that are free. In a time of financial belt tightening, we can no longer maintain our sanity driving in Birmingham traffic hell by listening to something that is actually entertaining. Shame on you political and business communists!!!
It is no longer a government "For The People, By The People" hasn't been for some time now. We now have a government "For Big Business, By Big Business"!

Plus, we have stupid people voting. The last election the incumbents only had a 20% approval rating, yet 90% were voted back into office.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:39 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,198 times
It almost makes you wonder if the satelite stations that you have to pay for are partnering with local radio to monopolize the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area