Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 AM

497 posts, read 507,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
if your daughter is in honors classes then you definitely need to stick to Vestavia, Hoover, Homewood or Mt Brook-
Yeah cause them boys in Ensley and them bad neighborhoods ride around in Benzes and Jags at a early age and that might deter her a little!!! Bham baby, stunt capital!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I don't like burningham.

I don't like green eggs either.
I love B-ham!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I've been offered a job in the East Lake area. OK, so how bad is it if you are just working there? If I am careful of my surroundings and just go in, work, and leave, am I still taking a huge risk on safety? The job offer is pretty lucrative...so now I'm guessing the location is why.
It's really bad if you say seeing a black person is terrible, listen no one cares about you! Everybody is trying to get rich, do you and we do us okay!! It's all respect infact most of us are terrified when you appear, why? Because you think going to work is risky, what do you think we are waiting to go to jail!! You guys are pitiful, this isn't beirut! Listen we live in Homewood too, what you thought not? We in The Hamptons, we in the Beverly Hills also!! Jail isn't a option and your not worth it when i'm making 25,000 a week selling weed!! Come on whitey wake up!!Realize we have more money than you and you know that, realize we are wealthy in the hood and you know that too!!! If not research!!!Crime comes in Sicily also, in Manhattan and Shaker Heights,Oh!! It's mankind way of life, wake up watch your family members they might be after you not us!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locotruckdriver View Post
The Scientific way to analyze how bad crime is in any given area of any city is to locate the demographic data for the area in question and evaluate what percentage of that population is Non-White.
And although being very accurate, using this method often times will be taboo, due to the nature of the scrutiny of the disinfranched subjects that are represented in the data.

You can use any city for this but here are some examples that came from the data here:

Crime in "Fairfeild, AL" is 1191 crimes per 100k, the population is 92% non-white.

Crime in "Mnt. Brook, AL" is 96 crimes per 100k,
the population is 2% non white.

A person may be so upetty as to say they don't like the real conclusion of facts they are presented with, but they can not renigg on unbiased data that presents a universal truth.
Reality!!! Facts are Facts!! I'm black and i know a lot of wealthy families in Homewood who will say they inherited their wealth or it was passed down from slavery!!! Crime is a method of survival!! Let's do what it take to get where we need to be!! Next year them numbers will jump higher, why? Because it's not a game in Alabama, we serious about capital!!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Just avoid Brighton, Gate City, Eastlake, Fairfield, Tarrant, and North Birmingham, and you should be all good. Honestly, you will never have any reason to go to any of these places if you don't live there, so you won't have any problems, I shouldn't think.
How can you say "you will never have any reason to go to any of these places if you don't live there"? How do you know this persons life?Just Stop!! Birmingham is all good!!What do you think white people don't come to those places, stop your to funny!!! If your gay don't come, or a wimp stay out!! You know if your a man or not!!! We got some white people over here we respect because they respect us, it's all mutual love that's all!!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack3902 View Post
Reported in the bham news today 51 metro area schools as "chronic failures" Enough said.
Also if you read the Long Island press kids are failing in the Hamptons as well, why i don't know!! Maybe depressed from all the catholic priest abusing them up there, who knows!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulver View Post
I am retired law enforcement in Atlanta. I have relatives who are still on the job in B'ham burbs.

He loves policing and living near Homewood. Although it's been a couple years since I spent time there, I really liked it. Homewood had a real sweet, walkable downtown square. Had a good feel to it.

There was another younger officer we visited. He lived near Five Points South. The houses were older, but very cool. Five Points South was really interesting. Although I'm quite conservative, I also have an alternative side, that is just fine with piercings & tattoos. It was definately a people-watching place.

Several visits there, with no probs. Then one weekend, we were eating at Cosmos Pizza, when we saw police and fire-rescue arriving code three. There had been several gang related shootings, at some venue around the corner.

My cousin said that the only time they had a problem there, was when some hip-hop or rap act used the club. Reminded me of Atlanta...

Every officer I talked with in Birmingham, has told me that downtown is no place to venture by yourself, after dark.
Then again it is Birmingham or well the Ham!!! Listen one time on 16th ave them boys bomb a church with some little girls in it, made me think about slavery!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewgirl View Post
Okay, here's an interesting question: Since when does Birmingham have "neighborhoods"?
HA, HA, HA, HA!!! Too much fun!! What the smuck are you talking about and where are you from? Have you ever been to B-Ham? Anyway visit one day, trust me the Ham got it all!!!It is Birmingham although!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laocoön View Post
This is naïve.

The downtown financial district is, as a previous poster recounted a police officer's advice to him, no place to go after dark, especially by yourself. I would submit that by day might be a different story, but even then there are sketchy characters, drug dealers, and con artists all about, you must be careful about which streets and alleys you choose to tread. If you veer too far from the Harbert Center-Linn Park nexus (I don't know why you would), you could easily encounter trouble even during the daytime. Keep in mind that notorious 'hoods such as the likes of Fountain Heights, Norwood, Druid Hills, and Enon Ridge are a mere stone's throw from this downtown district, and sometimes their denizens go roaming into the downtown area looking for trouble.

Perhaps this poster is just grossly misinformed. After all, not all crimes get reported in Birmingham. That's a well-known, long-running phenomenon. Experienced, long-time residents will tell you that the only relatively safe area in the entire city limits -- day or night -- are the nicer parts of upper Southside (Highland Park and Redmont Park to name a couple) and perhaps Forest Park and some of Crestwood. But again, these neighborhoods are only relatively safe.

Anecdote: My wife and I were once in a 2nd floor loft of a downtown building late at night, and a car pulled up and sprayed gunfire at another vehicle at a red light directly below this loft's window. Later that evening, on our way out of the loft to our car parked in the garage below, we had to step over a homeless wino who was taking pulls off a bottle of Mad Dog in the stairwell INSIDE the "secure" building. We reported this to our friends, the tenets, and they were appalled and scared. They ended up moving out a six months later.

Granted, there might not be that many typical crimes occurring in the typical ways in Birmingham's downtown district. Even, the stats may be close to accurate. The area is not heavily populated (with residents), and so it is possible that there aren't a lot of crimes, by sheer numbers.

But consider this: Eastsiders thugs drive through or adjacent to downtown to get to the West side to make deals, pop a cap, and gang bang; every thug in the West, North, and East sides drives through or adjacent to downtown in order to get to party central or the crack house on the Southside. And so on. In effect, downtown is the primary thoroughfare and crossroads of vehicular traffic for thugs on dis side of town to get to dat side of town. In fact, a lot of prostitution and drug deals actually go down at this crossroads between directional factions. A neutral ground, if you will, for amicable dealings. But sometimes these deals turn sour, and that's when the bullets start flying. And if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, and a thug gets an itchy trigger finger, you're toast. Or if a junkie with a weapon needs a 20 spot to get a fix or pay his dealer, and you come ambling down 1st Avenue, he might not think twice about jumping you and trading your life in for that 20 dollar bill in your back pocket he gots to have. Ya dig? Do you really want to be a straight-laced guy with some ostensible means tooling around at Thug Junction? Nice car, nice clothes, well-groomed -- thugs and junkies know a man of some means when they see one. Do you really want to be that guy?

Folks, urban life in a crime-ridden American city is not play-play. Some of you think bad things only happen to the criminals. Some of you seem to get cheap thrills hangin' out in seedy areas -- you think it's hip, edgy, and inclusive. Some of you think you will minister to the wayward inner city denizens on the street and change them. Some of you want to demonstrate or prove your tolerance and "diversity." Some of you just wish that this particular American city were safer, more civil, and less bifurcated than it actually is, and so you go gallivanting about as if it were -- pretending, hoping against hope, that things were a certain way. And some of you, I'm convinced, are Chamber of Commerce shills.

People, don't be stupid. Stay on the right side of the tracks and save your life and well-being. If you want a real urban experience in a real city, and want to step out on the limb a little and risk it, go visit a real city such as New York, San Francisco, Chicago, or New Orleans. Go abroad to Paris or London.

Birmingham, Alabama isn't worth it.
Just Be quiet New Orleans is the murder capital of the USA!!! cHICAGO IS GANGLAND, AND WELL NEW YORK IS WELL NEW YORK AND SAN FRANCISO IS AIDS PLAYGROUNG OR HOMO NATION USA!!!

Old 04-17-2010, 07:02 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
Just Be quiet New Orleans is the murder capital of the USA!!! cHICAGO IS GANGLAND, AND WELL NEW YORK IS WELL NEW YORK AND SAN FRANCISO IS AIDS PLAYGROUNG OR HOMO NATION USA!!!
Enough with the homophobic posturing, most people with HIV are straight, and you would be amazed at the number of black men who experiment on the side. Being a bigot doesn't make you hard or bad, it just makes you ignorant, weak, and selfish. People who are gay and proud of it and have no fear about expressing it, they are the true badazzes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area