U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:01 AM

498 posts, read 105,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
Enough with the homophobic posturing, most people with HIV are straight, and you would be amazed at the number of black men who experiment on the side. Being a bigot doesn't make you hard or bad, it just makes you ignorant, weak, and selfish. People who are gay and proud of it and have no fear about expressing it, they are the true badazzes.
I apologies,sorry!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 04:19 PM

Location: Wherever the are junk homes: Lawrence County Alabama, Huntsville Alabama and Birmingham Alabama
56 posts, read 144,555 times
Two years ago we moved to North Alabama from Los Angeles, but I am attracted to the old neighborhoods in Birmingham. We bought a house in Druid Hill Community where we live when in Birmingham. We have nothing to complain about in this neighborhood. We go for months out of the country and come back to find the place intact, no problem at all. I am looking at some other areas, one is North Smithfield and Bush Hills. These places are so beautiful topographically that we really don't care about anything else. They remind me of some high-cost hilly areas of San Francisco. If we were rich we would buy all the vacant homes in these places, hire the vandals to rebuild them and turn them into desirable places to live and people would move back. I am starting a project called "Community Whole"- for Self Growth and Community Pride, some kind of religion? I will hire the vandals and make them hold sweat equity shares in all the real estate properties we buy and fix-up and lease-to own. Some of the brick buildings with 1930s and 40s architectures are absolutely beautiful and need to be preserved.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:52 PM

4 posts, read 1,100 times
Birmingham sucks, unless you're 16 miles to the SOUTH which is way outside Birmingham proper...like over Double Oak Mountain..even Hoover/Riverchase sucks ! areas like Mountain Brook and Vestavia Hills will always do well..Smithfield ?? you've got to be kidding me, right ? the next thing I'll hear is that the area around Goldwire is a happening place !

Old 05-09-2010, 05:31 PM

24,774 posts, read 26,159,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiesen View Post
Birmingham sucks, unless you're 16 miles to the SOUTH which is way outside Birmingham proper...like over Double Oak Mountain..even Hoover/Riverchase sucks ! areas like Mountain Brook and Vestavia Hills will always do well..Smithfield ?? you've got to be kidding me, right ? the next thing I'll hear is that the area around Goldwire is a happening place !
You're kidding right? The area around Oak Mountain is one big, bland anonymous sprawl of hastily-built subdivisions that look depressingly alike. Unless you're counting an Outback Steak, you'd be hard pressed to find anything approaching a decent place to eat. And unless you count the CinePlex38, good luck finding any entertainment. Meanwhile, all kinds of great restaurants, entertainment venues, and gracious neighborhoods can be found throughout Southside.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:55 PM

Location: Wherever the are junk homes: Lawrence County Alabama, Huntsville Alabama and Birmingham Alabama
56 posts, read 144,555 times
Default The best opportunity for low-cost real estate investment in Alabama.

[quote=3am green coffee;7904957]That's primarily because the people who live in those neighborhoods aren't in the habit of posting advice for people who might want to move here, and the people who are interested in whether you like Birmingham don't exactly have an incentive to air our dirty laundry. Birmingham's widely publicized murder rate is mostly the result of so-called "black on black" crime in poor areas. That crime doesn't affect people in the better neighborhoods anywhere near the same rate.)

People who live very good peaceful life in so-called bad areas don't talk about it, understandable, but I would advise us to talk about the good things about living in those areas so we cam attract more people to come enjoy with us. I am not a financial guy but I enjoy investing in low-cost real estates with more than 100% reward after a few years. I have moved around neighborhoods of Birmingham and discovered the most opportunity is in Bush Hills and area around Birmingham Southern College. I would also include North Smithfield.

There are nice homes in these areas if one can just clean them up. Residents in these areas with good homes keep their yard nice and very attractive. I am definitely investing here and we are moving in next week.

We don't have children going to school so I have nothing to say about schools but its definitely a nice place for the two of us, my wife and I. Older people please move in and let us make this place a wonderful retirement community.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:04 PM

129 posts, read 231,685 times
[quote=Suliniber;14148308]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3am green coffee View Post
That's primarily because the people who live in those neighborhoods aren't in the habit of posting advice for people who might want to move here, and the people who are interested in whether you like Birmingham don't exactly have an incentive to air our dirty laundry. Birmingham's widely publicized murder rate is mostly the result of so-called "black on black" crime in poor areas. That crime doesn't affect people in the better neighborhoods anywhere near the same rate.)

People who live very good peaceful life in so-called bad areas don't talk about it, understandable, but I would advise us to talk about the good things about living in those areas so we cam attract more people to come enjoy with us. I am not a financial guy but I enjoy investing in low-cost real estates with more than 100% reward after a few years. I have moved around neighborhoods of Birmingham and discovered the most opportunity is in Bush Hills and area around Birmingham Southern College. I would also include North Smithfield.

There are nice homes in these areas if one can just clean them up. Residents in these areas with good homes keep their yard nice and very attractive. I am definitely investing here and we are moving in next week.

We don't have children going to school so I have nothing to say about schools but its definitely a nice place for the two of us, my wife and I. Older people please move in and let us make this place a wonderful retirement community.
I guess, you are not alone.

http://cfc.abc3340.com/videoondemand.cfm?id=65190&category=news
http://cfc.abc3340.com/videoondemand.cfm?id=65289&category=news
http://cfc.abc3340.com/videoondemand.cfm?id=65383&category=news

Old 05-21-2010, 08:14 PM

129 posts, read 231,685 times
Norwood neighborhood revitalization | NBC13.com

Old 05-22-2010, 02:41 PM

122 posts, read 294,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Simpson View Post
Indeed, Mr. Simpson. Norwood is one of the "Worst neighborhoods in Birmingham." It's certainly one of the most ominous nabes I've had the displeasure to drive through in the past couple of years. Granted, some of the homes look nice from the outside, and some even spectacular on the inside. Yes, many of these homes are architecturally appealing; even, the sinewy layout of the boulevard and surrounding streets is charming and unique. But why anyone would want to live in such close proximity to the pits of urban hell is beyond me.

Historic Norwood is literally surrounded by urban blight, notorious grug and crime-infested ghettos, wastelands, and all sorts of creepy wooded areas, train tracks, industrial dumps, and otherwise great places to dump bodies. There are probably more businesses in the general area that have gone defunct over the last year than residents who have moved in. Not good.

And it's not like Norwood is an oasis of pleasantness and decency either; most of it is dilapidated and run-down. Driving through the area you can't help but wonder what's lurking behind the decrepit walls of abandoned structures and waiting to pounce from out of the overgrowth. It was soooo eerily quiet but not in a peaceful way. It was like any moment I was going to turn the corner into an ambush.

One little tour through the neighborhood was enough. Every black youth I saw -- and that's mostly the type of person I saw, sitting on porches and slinking down the streets -- looked like a thug and was eyeing me. Whenever I passed down a street more than once, one of them would start moving in the direction of my car and making hand signals as if he thought I was looking to buy drugs. The supposedly community-minded residents weren't exactly smiling and waving; they looked suspiciously at me as I cruised through. Oh yeah, I can't forget to mention the graffitied crack mansion on one of the side streets right off the boulevard. It had a massive Star of David scrawled on it, and all sorts of sinister affiliated Folk and Crip taggings (I am able to recognize real gang tags from my days of living in Southern California).

There are no free lunches in life. For the apparent value you people think you're getting for a 100k Craftsman bungalow, you're paying for it in the extreme risk for violent and property crime you're assuming. It's a fool's bargain, unless you're an investor packing a Mossberg and wearing a flak jacket and not really living there.

I wouldn't recommend living in Norwood. I wouldn't even recommend driving through Norwood -- that's how potentially dangerous this poster feels it is. I'll NEVER drive through there again, for at least another 25 years, unless it's in an armored tank. I don't know what the crime stats say about this neighborhood, and I don't care. I got the heebee-jeebies and that's all that matters for me. Heebie-jeebies trump "rational" statistics.

I can only draw three conclusions about the American urban pioneer -- at least one of them is correct: He takes too many unnecessary risks. He is na´ve. He is foolish.

Have fun enjoying your "bargain-priced architectural gem," but don't expect the gunmen and burglars to respect your aesthetics and frugality. When one of those black youths I saw in the streets needs some money to pay his dealer, or a junkie needs some cash to pay his dealer, guess whose door it is that they're gonna come a-knockin'?

Old 05-22-2010, 03:15 PM

9,807 posts, read 5,994,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoco÷n View Post
Indeed, Mr. Simpson. Norwood is one of the "Worst neighborhoods in Birmingham." It's certainly one of the most ominous nabes I've had the displeasure to drive through in the past couple of years. Granted, some of the homes look nice from the outside, and some even spectacular on the inside. Yes, many of these homes are architecturally appealing; even, the sinewy layout of the boulevard and surrounding streets is charming and unique. But why anyone would want to live in such close proximity to the pits of urban hell is beyond me.

Historic Norwood is literally surrounded by urban blight, notorious grug and crime-infested ghettos, wastelands, and all sorts of creepy wooded areas, train tracks, industrial dumps, and otherwise great places to dump bodies. There are probably more businesses in the general area that have gone defunct over the last year than residents who have moved in. Not good.

And it's not like Norwood is an oasis of pleasantness and decency either; most of it is dilapidated and run-down. Driving through the area you can't help but wonder what's lurking behind the decrepit walls of abandoned structures and waiting to pounce from out of the overgrowth. It was soooo eerily quiet but not in a peaceful way. It was like any moment I was going to turn the corner into an ambush.

One little tour through the neighborhood was enough. Every black youth I saw -- and that's mostly the type of person I saw, sitting on porches and slinking down the streets -- looked like a thug and was eyeing me. Whenever I passed down a street more than once, one of them would start moving in the direction of my car and making hand signals as if he thought I was looking to buy drugs. The supposedly community-minded residents weren't exactly smiling and waving; they looked suspiciously at me as I cruised through. Oh yeah, I can't forget to mention the graffitied crack mansion on one of the side streets right off the boulevard. It had a massive Star of David scrawled on it, and all sorts of sinister affiliated Folk and Crip taggings (I am able to recognize real gang tags from my days of living in Southern California).

There are no free lunches in life. For the apparent value you people think you're getting for a 100k Craftsman bungalow, you're paying for it in the extreme risk for violent and property crime you're assuming. It's a fool's bargain, unless you're an investor packing a Mossberg and wearing a flak jacket and not really living there.

I wouldn't recommend living in Norwood. I wouldn't even recommend driving through Norwood -- that's how potentially dangerous this poster feels it is. I'll NEVER drive through there again, for at least another 25 years, unless it's in an armored tank. I don't know what the crime stats say about this neighborhood, and I don't care. I got the heebee-jeebies and that's all that matters for me. Heebie-jeebies trump "rational" statistics.

I can only draw three conclusions about the American urban pioneer -- at least one of them is correct: He takes too many unnecessary risks. He is na´ve. He is foolish.

Have fun enjoying your "bargain-priced architectural gem," but don't expect the gunmen and burglars to respect your aesthetics and frugality. When one of those black youths I saw in the streets needs some money to pay his dealer, or a junkie needs some cash to pay his dealer, guess whose door it is that they're gonna come a-knockin'?

xery good informative post !

thank you

Old 05-23-2010, 04:26 PM

940 posts, read 1,747,590 times
I have a few friends who live in Norwood, and as a social worker I have been to several homes there to see clients. I understand the concern with crime and drug activity, but it is not quite ever really as afowl as people think. Some people are just afraid of economically depressed areas, particularly ones with black people (I never hear people talk about scary rednecks in the booneys with the same kind of fearfulness), so draw whatever conclusion makes sense. I am in the area up to 3 times a week, and sometimes even play golf in the large grassy area in the middle with the guys who run Ellis Boarding Home. I see kids around there who seem like they are up to no good, but I also see kids throwing baseballs, walking home from school, and riding bikes. A friend of mine who lives there has a 15 yr old, 11 yr old, and 9 yr old, and they are all decent kids who try to stay out of trouble. Would I live there? No. However, I would not go so far as to judge someone who lives there as being a bad person or "thug", and hyperventilate until I arrive at my home in Vestavia either. Lower socio-economic status does not equal lower class person, there are plenty of poor people in poor areas who I would trust over a "Brookie" any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area