U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:18 AM

6 posts, read 33,210 times

Advertisements

thank you...i understand wanting to know if ur going to stick out in ur new neighborhood.. my point was if we all respect each other and see each other as people first...that we could make better choices...if we didn't like people because of their own choices in life. btw I'm from the south...and am ashamed to say I was raised in a small town where cross the tracks was....just that..cant wait to be neighbors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 AM

129 posts, read 316,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laocon View Post
Indeed, Mr. Simpson. Norwood is one of the "Worst neighborhoods in Birmingham." It's certainly one of the most ominous nabes I've had the displeasure to drive through in the past couple of years. Granted, some of the homes look nice from the outside, and some even spectacular on the inside. Yes, many of these homes are architecturally appealing; even, the sinewy layout of the boulevard and surrounding streets is charming and unique. But why anyone would want to live in such close proximity to the pits of urban hell is beyond me.

Historic Norwood is literally surrounded by urban blight, notorious grug and crime-infested ghettos, wastelands, and all sorts of creepy wooded areas, train tracks, industrial dumps, and otherwise great places to dump bodies. There are probably more businesses in the general area that have gone defunct over the last year than residents who have moved in. Not good.

And it's not like Norwood is an oasis of pleasantness and decency either; most of it is dilapidated and run-down. Driving through the area you can't help but wonder what's lurking behind the decrepit walls of abandoned structures and waiting to pounce from out of the overgrowth. It was soooo eerily quiet but not in a peaceful way. It was like any moment I was going to turn the corner into an ambush.

One little tour through the neighborhood was enough. Every black youth I saw -- and that's mostly the type of person I saw, sitting on porches and slinking down the streets -- looked like a thug and was eyeing me. Whenever I passed down a street more than once, one of them would start moving in the direction of my car and making hand signals as if he thought I was looking to buy drugs. The supposedly community-minded residents weren't exactly smiling and waving; they looked suspiciously at me as I cruised through. Oh yeah, I can't forget to mention the graffitied crack mansion on one of the side streets right off the boulevard. It had a massive Star of David scrawled on it, and all sorts of sinister affiliated Folk and Crip taggings (I am able to recognize real gang tags from my days of living in Southern California).

There are no free lunches in life. For the apparent value you people think you're getting for a 100k Craftsman bungalow, you're paying for it in the extreme risk for violent and property crime you're assuming. It's a fool's bargain, unless you're an investor packing a Mossberg and wearing a flak jacket and not really living there.

I wouldn't recommend living in Norwood. I wouldn't even recommend driving through Norwood -- that's how potentially dangerous this poster feels it is. I'll NEVER drive through there again, for at least another 25 years, unless it's in an armored tank. I don't know what the crime stats say about this neighborhood, and I don't care. I got the heebee-jeebies and that's all that matters for me. Heebie-jeebies trump "rational" statistics.

I can only draw three conclusions about the American urban pioneer -- at least one of them is correct: He takes too many unnecessary risks. He is nave. He is foolish.

Have fun enjoying your "bargain-priced architectural gem," but don't expect the gunmen and burglars to respect your aesthetics and frugality. When one of those black youths I saw in the streets needs some money to pay his dealer, or a junkie needs some cash to pay his dealer, guess whose door it is that they're gonna come a-knockin'?
WOW. I get your concerns,but while it may not be your cup of tea, the urban pioneer should be seen as a positive, hard working american.

Birmingham is so negative.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,533 times
Post Let them be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
I apologies,sorry!!
I'm so tired of folks bashing gays and lesbiens! Haven't this world suffered enough with Blacks, Jews, Hispanics, Indians and that's just to name a few. Who are we to judge? Your post was great, but their HUMAN just like some of us. I don't know who wrote t but they need to look in the mirror at themselves. I'm a straight Black American not African American but Black female and it's sad when your discriminated upon. For those who believe in Jesus Christ, did he go around judging? I know what the bible saids but man made the bible not Jesus or God! May peace be with everyone!

Old 12-06-2010, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,383 times
Locotruckdriver that is the most misleading information out of the entire forum. The stupidity of people that belive that is off the charts. it is insensible and ignorant......there is no crime gene going around that's spread through all blacks or hispanics. When it comes tp crimes, race is a factor that has the least magnitude in the argument.....I guess I should believe White people are the reason for Herpes in the world since there is a greater percentage of Whites with Herpes than any other race. or all Whites want to kill themselves because they lead the nation in suicide percentage (amount of those who committ suicide/ given population of race)...ALL OF THAT IS IGNORANT....

Old 01-01-2011, 12:48 AM

10 posts, read 17,012 times
I've been to birmingham many times, mostly for pleasure, but some business and have seen many run down areas(point in reference-ensley), but i have never been in the norwood area. Where i grew up(anniston,ala. Population 30,000) also has a neighborhood called norwood which has run down projects, creepy wooded areas, abandoned railroad tracks, fleeing businesses and other signs of inner city blight. I lived there as a teen back in the 70's and it had it's problems then. Not sure about now, but i'm sure it's the same or worse. Indeed like laocoon, i would not live there now or even drive through there. I'm not saying everyone who lives in this area is bad, only that this area is mostly poverty stricken and as everyone pretty much knows is that "poverty breeds crime".

Old 01-02-2011, 03:20 PM

247 posts, read 925,600 times
For the last two months I've been driving a cab in Birmingham. I can tell you that none of these places are as bad as most suburanites and outlyers think they are. I've been to them all and I'm a white male. The main thing to remember is attitude. If you in with an attitude of respect you'll get respect back. If you go in arrogant or fearful you'll get that in return also. I treat everyone the same wheather they live in the Gate City project or in Greystone.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,000 times
I have to agree that facts are facts. I live in another city in the U.S. and work in million dollar home neighborhoods to neighborhoods with homes people can't give away. I have no real problems with the minority groups in my city. I argue with and am pleasant with all people regardless of their color. When city data shows a high percentage of the population is African American and the crime rate is also high and when city data shows a high percentage of white people in a neighborhood and the crime rate is low...what is the obvious conclusion? Anyone who can't face the facts is expressing a form of racism in my opinion. I wish it was different, but I don't think it is. The number of imprisoned men in the U.S. that are African American is also an example. It's nice to be all accepting and fair, but when you can see it first hand and live it first hand, it changes your mind. My aunt is an old white woman with a beautiful home in a neighborhood that turned bad. Her home would be worth 100's of thousands more in the right neighborhood, but the "element" has moved into the neighborhood. She can't sell the home, her husband is in a retirement home, the majority of the neighbors rent or bought the home dirt cheap and don't really seem to care about anyone but themselves. The people that visit these neighbors are less than productive citizens and guess what?...they happen to be African Americans. We are messing up as Americans to let everyone think this isn't an obvious problem. It's not the color of their skin, it is their lifestyle and the attitudes handed down generation after generation of entitlement and their inability to listen to the truth and criticizm when it needs to be heard.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:46 AM

11,790 posts, read 11,396,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerlou View Post
It's not the color of their skin, it is their lifestyle and the attitudes handed down generation after generation of entitlement and their inability to listen to the truth and criticizm when it needs to be heard.
This thread didn't need a bump and it most certainly didn't need the racially charged preaching you just gave.

I have noticed where ever there are people that have money and live in nice neighborhoods, crime is low - it doesn't matter what color they are. Believe it or not, there are rich people of color who help keep the crime rates low in these mostly white areas you cherish.

Poor people with inadequate services in dense neighborhoods where there are bad schools, high unemployment and less opportunities tend to have higher crime - and again, it doesn't matter what color (or lack there of) live there.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:29 PM

21 posts, read 65,743 times
I think that sometimes we fail to remember that we are human, the people that are in lesser neighborhoods or communities that we're discussing are human as well.

Just because a neighborhood doesn't look up to the current expectations or standards compared to (insert name here), doesn't mean someone is going to "jump out and go after" you. We are all human and only feel powerful with a life threatening weapon, when you let your mind fool you into thinking that everyone with that type of appearance has a "life threatening" weapon, you scare yourself and begin to show it which draws others attention. Especially if you look unfamiliar to the community.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,991 times
Stay away from Ensley, West End. Forget about being PC (seems like those folks don't live in the areas mentioned anyway.) Other good areas that aren't as pricey as Homewood, Mtn. Brook, Vestavia, are Chelsea, Helena (my fav. of these), Calera, Trussville. For a more rural (meaning if you want acreage) try Springville or McCalla (my personal fav)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area