Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:49 PM

8 posts, read 22,207 times

Advertisements

I'm a 32 yo single mom of a 7 yo son, we currently live in Atlanta. I have an awesome job offer on the table to transition into a filed I have been trying to break into for 2 yrs now. I would have to relocate to Alabama as the entire state & the pan handle of Florida would be my territory. They said I could move anywhere in the state but suggested the Birmingham area. I am liking what I have read about Mountain Brook area, but would like to be in an area with other young families & great schools are a must as my son just tested gifted & was set to start the gifted program next year. Although my income is moderate I don't think I would be able to afford private school straight away. I want to be in an area that is lively, young & chic with great schools! A neighborhood where he can safely ride his bike would be nice! I'd probably like to rent a home to start out. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 10:10 PM

234 posts, read 708,352 times
Mountain Brook would probably be an excellent choice. Any areas that are south of Red Mountain from Birmingham are going to be very family friendly. If your child is part of the Jefferson County School System, then he could eventually attend the Jeffco IB School, which has been consistently rated as one of the top 5 public schools in the nation. All of the suburbs south of Red Mountain in Jefferson County are very good communities to live in. Shelby County also has a very good quality of life with great schools.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:06 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlybrooke32 View Post
I'm a 32 yo single mom of a 7 yo son, we currently live in Atlanta. I have an awesome job offer on the table to transition into a filed I have been trying to break into for 2 yrs now. I would have to relocate to Alabama as the entire state & the pan handle of Florida would be my territory. They said I could move anywhere in the state but suggested the Birmingham area. I am liking what I have read about Mountain Brook area, but would like to be in an area with other young families & great schools are a must as my son just tested gifted & was set to start the gifted program next year. Although my income is moderate I don't think I would be able to afford private school straight away. I want to be in an area that is lively, young & chic with great schools! A neighborhood where he can safely ride his bike would be nice! I'd probably like to rent a home to start out. Any suggestions?
Yes. We live in Mountain Brook and the schools are superior, rated among the best public schools in the country, and certainly the best in the state. The next question is what part of the city?

There are four different elementary schools in Mountain Brook, all superior yet with markedly different personalities: Mountain Brook, Crestline, Cherokee Bend, and Brookwood Forest. MB and Crestline are very good, but you tend to have a lot more SAHMs in those schools. Cherokee Bend and BWF tend to have a lot of two-income households, so you will probably encounter more parents with whom you have a lot in common. Also, the real estate surrounding those two schools is more affordable (Of course, right now, people are dealing). Crestline and Mountain Brook elementary, because of the high numbers of SAHMs, can be a bit insular and cliquish, so I think a woman in your situation would really be better served at BWF or CB.

BWF and CB are at opposite ends of the city. BWF gives you quicker access to the interstate (particularly if you travel any) and a lot of shopping. We found it a lot more convenient area than CB.

In any event, it's a great kid-centered community with a ton of activities, a great library, etc. etc. Your best option at this point is to check out the real estate listings on realtysouth.com and find the locations within your price range.

Let us know if you have any questions. We really try to help new people to the market.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes. We live in Mountain Brook and the schools are superior, rated among the best public schools in the country, and certainly the best in the state. The next question is what part of the city?

There are four different elementary schools in Mountain Brook, all superior yet with markedly different personalities: Mountain Brook, Crestline, Cherokee Bend, and Brookwood Forest. MB and Crestline are very good, but you tend to have a lot more SAHMs in those schools. Cherokee Bend and BWF tend to have a lot of two-income households, so you will probably encounter more parents with whom you have a lot in common. Also, the real estate surrounding those two schools is more affordable (Of course, right now, people are dealing). Crestline and Mountain Brook elementary, because of the high numbers of SAHMs, can be a bit insular and cliquish, so I think a woman in your situation would really be better served at BWF or CB.

BWF and CB are at opposite ends of the city. BWF gives you quicker access to the interstate (particularly if you travel any) and a lot of shopping. We found it a lot more convenient area than CB.

In any event, it's a great kid-centered community with a ton of activities, a great library, etc. etc. Your best option at this point is to check out the real estate listings on realtysouth.com and find the locations within your price range.

Let us know if you have any questions. We really try to help new people to the market.

Thank you so much for your insight! Forgive my ignorance for a moment but you lost me with SAHMs, what does this stand for?
Very encouraging to read great things about the schools, especially about the IB program available, I will definitely look into that! Are there any IB programs on the elementary level that you are aware of?
I will be doing quite a bit of traveling as I am in sales with a large territory so the location of BWF sounds appealing as does the proximity of good shopping! Who doesn't enjoy shopping!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:57 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,257 times
SAHM= stay at home mom-
I live in crestline and I work 2 part time jobs and I am a single mom- MB is great- there are plenty of people who help out the single mom's My son has been on tons of sports teams with lots of help from all of the dad's- have you thought about after school care-I think each school has a program - till 6:00- Crestline is awesome b/c you can walk/ride bike to school!!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:14 PM

234 posts, read 708,352 times
The only school system in the entire state of Alabama that has the full spectrum of IB (from elementary to diploma programme) is the Decatur City Schools, in Decatur. The IB schools in Jefferson County, and the rest of the state for that matter, are just the IB diploma programme in the high schools.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the clarification! Yes, I have thought about after care, that is great that many of the schools have it integrated, they don't do that much here in ATL. I also have to consider alternative care as well like a possible nanny or establishing a strong support group that can help out when have job related late night returns or overnights. This is the major part of deciding if I will take the job! It's a great opportunity to grow financially & step in to the career field that I have tried for years to break into! Made all the more better because the company is one of the top 3 in my industry! Ahhhhh decisions, decisions!

Old 03-24-2009, 06:22 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,257 times
you can probably find a college student to help you at night/ overnight- they are always looking for money!! B'ham is great-you would love it!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:11 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
you can probably find a college student to help you at night/ overnight- they are always looking for money!! B'ham is great-you would love it!
Samford University girls are great! We've used three with our kids.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:05 PM

All great suggestions thanks so much !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area