U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,831 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new to the area and would like suggestions for where to go to meet people. I am a recently divorced woman, mid-forties with no children at home. Suggestions I have received already are church and meetup groups. Does anyone have other suggestions? Is there a nice place to go at night on weekends to meet people my age? A place to hear nice music, coffee shops? I'm not really into bars and clubs but I am tired of being home alone on weekends. Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,044 times
Hi. I am in the same position being new to the area. If you find out please let me know. Thanks

Old 10-19-2014, 12:23 AM

147 posts, read 127,406 times
Depends on tastes and interests. But there's lot to do here.

Off the beaten path:

Gip's Place - one of America's last and true juke joints... hole in the wall filled with folks from all walks of life, politicos to hipsters. No one is a stranger. BYOB.

Ona's - popular but not obnoxiously trendy jazz club... minus the wafting cigarette smoke, it's as authentic as they come.

More known:

Railroad Park - somewhat obvious but pick a large event (District 5 Fun Day is coming up this Sunday) and people watch... plenty of friendly faces waiting to welcome newcomers.

Blue Monkey, Collins - yes, they are bars... but not your average bars... younger crowd overall but good vibes nonetheless; sit at the bar and chat up a mixologist until some cool, new folks plop down next to you. Read some online views then decide.

Urban Standard, Red Cat - some of the more popular coffee shops in town but good people all around and the former has excellent food too. (Walk around 2nd Ave and check out "What's On 2nd" while you're in the area.)

Lots more to do but again, it all boils down to taste and preference.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:55 PM

11,790 posts, read 11,374,797 times
Superior Grill on 280. It is loud like a bar but it is a meat market for sure. Might not be your scene but worth going at least a couple of times.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:13 PM

28,906 posts, read 42,441,834 times
Why not find some special interest groups that appeal to you? Art, music, adult studies classes? Because if you seek those outlets, you'll likely find like-minded people.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:43 AM

2,431 posts, read 4,428,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Why not find some special interest groups that appeal to you? Art, music, adult studies classes? Because if you seek those outlets, you'll likely find like-minded people.
I second this. Pretty much anywhere in the country, if you start exploring an interest of yours, you will likely meet people.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:15 AM

430 posts, read 530,387 times
I also agree about the special interest groups. In this age, the internet has several sites to shop around. I don't know if this was an accident, but my coworker (in her 50's) actually met a man at Beef O Brady's at The Grove. Good luck to you.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:10 PM

2,050 posts, read 1,779,176 times
You mention smoke in Ona's...

Is Ona's still located on 20th St between 4th and 5th Ave S? Aren't all restaurants and bars smoke free now?

Old 10-22-2014, 03:06 PM

147 posts, read 127,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
You mention smoke in Ona's...

Is Ona's still located on 20th St between 4th and 5th Ave S? Aren't all restaurants and bars smoke free now?
Blame the confusion on my poor communication. When I think of authentic jazz lounges from back in the day, low lights and smokey rooms come to mind. I was saying that Ona's is still as authentic as they come, minus the fact that smoking inside is now illegal (which is, of course, a good thing).

Old 10-22-2014, 04:41 PM

2,050 posts, read 1,779,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardamnbham View Post
Blame the confusion on my poor communication. When I think of authentic jazz lounges from back in the day, low lights and smokey rooms come to mind. I was saying that Ona's is still as authentic as they come, minus the fact that smoking inside is now illegal (which is, of course, a good thing).

ah, i just misread your original post. i see now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area