U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:57 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,202,259 times

Advertisements

Gosh, I'm not upset. And I'm not one who said "stay away from the Bessemer area." I'm just one who seeks clarity. And for the sake of clarity, you did refer to Bessemer directly (not the "area") in your post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Again View Post

Bessemer IS one of the fastest growing places in the Birmingham area and you can find home with acreage with in your price.
Best of luck
If one is to read that sentence, one thinks that Bessemer -- which is an incorporated city (Bessemer schools) -- is what you are describing as fast-growing, full of acreage and sporting million-dollar homes. Now, I have lived in the B'ham area for 22 years, so I know what you really mean is the unincorporated area around Bessemer (Jefferson County Schools). But someone from Memphis or Chicago most certainly does not know this.

I don't understand if you are being intentionally obtuse, or if you just don't get that the distinction is important. It also troubles me that you are asserting some sort of tit-for-tat, in that you'll be more clear about the distinctions as long as others are, too. I don't think that is serving you, the posters on this board who are considering a move to our area, or your profession in the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboo1024 View Post
Hi

I would appreciate some feedback. My family might be relocating to Birmingham from Memphis. We have been in Memphis a Year. I would like to know how you feel about Memphis versus Birmingham. Also, We are looking for a great school district, but also a home with a little land (3 acres on up)

Thanks so much for your input!!!!!
We don't have a Beal street. We stayed at the Peabody when we went to an Ole Miss game. Downtowns have similar issues. Go to Schooldigger.com for reviews of school systems. Vestavia is excellent. But land is pricey. The Oak Mountain School system and Hoover are also good. You could get your acreage in McCalla. Will you have to commute to town? If not, Chelsea is lovely and there's land available. Also, Indian Springs. Check out the schools.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:56 PM

350 posts, read 1,094,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
And for the sake of clarity, you did refer to Bessemer directly (not the "area") in your post:

You are correct, I did state that and I was wrong, from now on I will state "The Bessemer (35022) area"

I'm not being obtuse, nor am I going for a tit for tat, but it does bother me that no one says anything to the ones who generalize about the Bessemer area, nor does anyone say anything when someone asked where to live and gives a budget lower then the Hoover, Mountain Brook or the Inverness areas will allow for, or land requirement does not match those areas, yet all you ever hear is Hoover, Mountain Brook or the Inverness areas are the places to live. Yes, Hoover, Mountain Brook or the Inverness area are great places to live, with good schools, but it is not for everybody and does not match everyones criteria!

For the record, the Bessemer (35022) area, is a nice place to live, fast growing and still has good priced homes with some land. The Bessemer (35022) area is only about 20 minutes from downtown Birmingham, about 15 minutes from Hoover and about 25 minutes from the Mercedes Plant.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:36 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,202,259 times
Thanks for your response. Not to harp on the issue, but I really think you might be better off describing the unincorporated area around Exits 6 and 1 of 459 as "McCalla area." It makes more sense than "Bessemer area" and more people will now what you mean. Once you get on into Helena, and likely even Shelby County -- no longer unincorporated Jefferson County.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:11 PM

23 posts, read 65,739 times
Default South of Town

Just so everyone is clear, I am speaking of the southern part of Bham that includes Montevallo, Wilsonville, Calera, and Columbiana. You can find houses here that have several acres for under $250. There are still farms around that part of town. Also, parts of Wilsonville are in the Chelsea School district which is very well respected. The other towns are part of the Shelby County School district.
Also, there are some great private schools around. You can check out : http://www.shelbycountyalabama.com/

I live in Calera, two miles from I65 (The main interstate here) and can get most places in 45 minutes or less. I also try to promote the part of town I live in. You will not find many other professions that are as passionate about 'standing up for where they live' as Realtors. We support ourselves by serving the public. We are also extremely involved in the community with fund raisers, community activites, and supporting those in need. We love our communities, and we want others to feel at home and 'safe', there as well. There are rules we must follow when asked if an area is safe. Safety to you and safety to someone else may not be the same thing. What we can do is lay out facts, appreciation values, and direct our clients to other media that reports on crime and school ratings.
You really have to get to know your cleints to understnad their needs. Not everyone is 'suited' to Vestivia or Hoover.

best of luck.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinaday View Post
Just so everyone is clear, I am speaking of the southern part of Bham that includes Montevallo, Wilsonville, Calera, and Columbiana. You can find houses here that have several acres for under $250. There are still farms around that part of town. Also, parts of Wilsonville are in the Chelsea School district which is very well respected. The other towns are part of the Shelby County School district.
Also, there are some great private schools around. You can check out : http://www.shelbycountyalabama.com/

I live in Calera, two miles from I65 (The main interstate here) and can get most places in 45 minutes or less. I also try to promote the part of town I live in. You will not find many other professions that are as passionate about 'standing up for where they live' as Realtors. We support ourselves by serving the public. We are also extremely involved in the community with fund raisers, community activites, and supporting those in need. We love our communities, and we want others to feel at home and 'safe', there as well. There are rules we must follow when asked if an area is safe. Safety to you and safety to someone else may not be the same thing. What we can do is lay out facts, appreciation values, and direct our clients to other media that reports on crime and school ratings.
You really have to get to know your cleints to understnad their needs. Not everyone is 'suited' to Vestivia or Hoover.

best of luck.
Well Said

Old 12-14-2010, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,409 times
Bessemer is a very large city. The areas of Bessemer called Brighton and Lipscomb are much less desirable than the southern area of Bessemer that has new homes and shopping areas. The southern area of Bessemer that touches McCalla, Hoover, and Helena is the nicest area.

If you are looking for areas that has land and a good school system then you can Helena, Alabaster, or Calera. These areas still have some undeveloped land.

Montevallo, Chelsea, Vincent, Westover, and Harpersville are nice rural areas that you can get some land at a good price and these are the up and coming areas to be developed in the next 20 years.

The Birmingham area has been moving southward for the last few decades and is projected to for at least the next 30 years.

I don't believe that you could get 3+ acres or more in Mountain Brook unless you are looking to spend over 1 million.

These comments are my personal opinion only and should not be construed to be legal or financial advice.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:10 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,736,719 times
Working with "a Realtor(TM!) isn't good advice, its an ad. After the recent (and ongoing)
real estate disaster, which Realtors cheer led all the way, why regard Realtor advertising as anything but?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 AM

28,906 posts, read 42,441,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Working with "a Realtor(TM!) isn't good advice, its an ad. After the recent (and ongoing)
real estate disaster, which Realtors cheer led all the way, why regard Realtor advertising as anything but?
Excuse me, but why are you on an Alabama board?

Old 12-21-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Yep, it was all the Realtor's fault, not that of lenders greed and people to stupid to plan ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area