U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-07-2009, 12:45 PM
 
Location: In the Greater Birmingham area
350 posts, read 830,573 times
Reputation: 121
Default No Hub In McCalla

Has anyone seen this?

No Hub 4 McCalla - Home
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2009, 12:48 PM
 
24,781 posts, read 26,159,449 times
Reputation: 33247
Well, two thoughts.

One, the Hub has been shelved for the next couple of years, so I'm not so sure how urgent this issue is.

Second, the Hub would constitute an incredible economic boost to McCalla, Bessemer, and the rest of the metro area. I cannot tell you how big this would be.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 03:05 PM
 
Location: In the Greater Birmingham area
350 posts, read 830,573 times
Reputation: 121
I know the Rail Road has just purchased some land just off of McCashen (sp)

And yes, this may be a boost for the area, but at what cost? The McCalla area will become a commercial area VS a Residential one.

I sold a home that will back up to this hub about 9 months ago for $500,000. Do you think it will still be worth $500,000 once this is a done deal?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2009, 03:08 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,495 times
Reputation: 10
This is going to take up 600 acres in the heart of the city. This will stifle any future residential or commercial growth for the city and could cause it to become a slum ghost town.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2009, 04:19 PM
 
24,781 posts, read 26,159,449 times
Reputation: 33247
Like heck it will. That solidifies Bessemer/McCalla as a huge new distribution point for a great deal of the U.S., not to mention increased revenue for your local governments, better schools and ultimately higher property values. I don't think that people realize how this, combined with the linkup to I-22 is about to turn the metro area into a very desirable location for warehousing and industrial relocation.

What's more, given that the Jefferson Metropolitan Park has been underdevelopment for 10 years now, and that it has been no secret that it would expand over time, why is this now becoming an issue for the people of McCalla? I mean, McCalla has benefited from this industrial park, and now it wants to bite that hand that fed it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2009, 04:25 PM
 
Location: In the Greater Birmingham area
350 posts, read 830,573 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Like heck it will. That solidifies Bessemer/McCalla as a huge new distribution point for a great deal of the U.S., not to mention increased revenue for your local governments, better schools and ultimately higher property values. I don't think that people realize how this, combined with the linkup to I-22 is about to turn the metro area into a very desirable location for warehousing and industrial relocation.

What's more, given that the Jefferson Metropolitan Park has been underdevelopment for 10 years now, and that it has been no secret that it would expand over time, why is this now becoming an issue for the people of McCalla? I mean, McCalla has benefited from this industrial park, and now it wants to bite that hand that fed it.
Come on, there is a BIG difference between an industrial park and a rail road hub! Also, what benefits do we have from the industrial park? 80% of that park is vacant.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2009, 04:34 PM
 
24,781 posts, read 26,159,449 times
Reputation: 33247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Again View Post
Come on, there is a BIG difference between an industrial park and a rail road hub! Also, what benefits do we have from the industrial park? 80% of that park is vacant.
The reason that park is 80% vacant is because it was designed for long-term expansion over a period of decades, not just a matter of a few years. What's more, lack of railway access was a limiting factor towards growth. That's why, over the years, the Jeffco Economic Development folks have been working to geet railway access. What's more, the model of JeffMet has been successful enough to inspire the development of McCalla Park as well as Trinity Park.

A railhub represents a quantum leap in the caliber of companies siting in the area. This has been the ongoing objective of economic developers in the county, and has not been a secret. Why the people of McCalla are now getting their panties in a twist over something that's been on the drawing boards for over a decade is really a headscratcher. After all, when they broke ground for JeffMet, everybody in the city of McCalla were uncorking champagne bottles, so it's not like this was just dreamed up overnight.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 03:03 PM
 
Location: In the Greater Birmingham area
350 posts, read 830,573 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The reason that park is 80% vacant is because it was designed for long-term expansion over a period of decades, not just a matter of a few years. What's more, lack of railway access was a limiting factor towards growth. That's why, over the years, the Jeffco Economic Development folks have been working to geet railway access. What's more, the model of JeffMet has been successful enough to inspire the development of McCalla Park as well as Trinity Park.

A railhub represents a quantum leap in the caliber of companies siting in the area. This has been the ongoing objective of economic developers in the county, and has not been a secret. Why the people of McCalla are now getting their panties in a twist over something that's been on the drawing boards for over a decade is really a headscratcher. After all, when they broke ground for JeffMet, everybody in the city of McCalla were uncorking champagne bottles, so it's not like this was just dreamed up overnight.

Gee, Real easy for some one in Mountain Brook to say!

What would you say if this was being done in YOUR back yard?

"Forget my property values as this will be good for everyone else" Yea right!

I do not want to sound rude, but I do not want someone in Mountain Brook telling me whats good for me here in the McCalla/Bessemer area.

I say if they want a hub, build it in a place like Sayre, where there is tons of vacant land and toms of people out of work. True there is no Interstate, but this would be incentive to finish the I-459 loop.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 03:44 PM
 
24,781 posts, read 26,159,449 times
Reputation: 33247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Again View Post
Gee, Real easy for some one in Mountain Brook to say!

What would you say if this was being done in YOUR back yard?

"Forget my property values as this will be good for everyone else" Yea right!

I do not want to sound rude, but I do not want someone in Mountain Brook telling me whats good for me here in the McCalla/Bessemer area.

I say if they want a hub, build it in a place like Sayre, where there is tons of vacant land and toms of people out of work. True there is no Interstate, but this would be incentive to finish the I-459 loop.
Oh, I love that argument.

It's really simple. That entire area was zoned for probable commercial/industrial development years ago, at the expense of taxpayers all over the county. Jefferson County expended considerable resources in the mid- to late-90s preparing that entire tract of land for precisely this kind of usage, before there was any kind of major residential development. I know, because I visited that area. I saw the plats, I saw the land use studies, and I knew that, at the time, there was next to nothing out there. It was an ideal piece of real estate because it was inexpensive, unpopulated, and flat for eventual rail access. Sayre, where you suggest, is ill-suited for development for a rail hub. Like most of Jefferson County, it is hilly, making it difficult to put together the large tracts of contiguous land that are required for large-scale integration of industrial and distribution properties with a transportation net.

So now, 15 years down the road, suddenly all these homeowners who now live in the area are up in arms because the county intends to go ahead with the plans it had laid out years ago. I mean, this isn't like these guys sat up last week and said, "Hot damn! There's some vacant land over there! Let's run a railroad through it!"

When I looked for my house, I certainly didn't buy a home next to land that was zoned commercial/industrial. Yet the people who are protesting this did exactly that, despite the fact that the intended use of the neighboring properties had been explicitly defined for years. So now, according to you, the taxpayers of Jefferson County are expected to just eat the considerable costs sunk into the Jeff Met area just because the new homeowners in the area have not done their due diligence.

Last edited by cpg35223; 07-10-2009 at 04:05 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Herndon, VA
34 posts, read 66,269 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, I love that argument.

It's really simple. That entire area was zoned for probable commercial/industrial development years ago, at the expense of taxpayers all over the county. Jefferson County expended considerable resources in the mid- to late-90s preparing that entire tract of land for precisely this kind of usage, before there was any kind of major residential development. I know, because I visited that area. I saw the plats, I saw the land use studies, and I knew that, at the time, there was next to nothing out there. It was an ideal piece of real estate because it was inexpensive, unpopulated, and flat for eventual rail access. Sayre, where you suggest, is ill-suited for development for a rail hub. Like most of Jefferson County, it is hilly, making it difficult to put together the large tracts of contiguous land that are required for large-scale integration of industrial and distribution properties with a transportation net.

So now, 15 years down the road, suddenly all these homeowners who now live in the area are up in arms because the county intends to go ahead with the plans it had laid out years ago. I mean, this isn't like these guys sat up last week and said, "Hot damn! There's some vacant land over there! Let's run a railroad through it!"

When I looked for my house, I certainly didn't buy a home next to land that was zoned commercial/industrial. Yet the people who are protesting this did exactly that, despite the fact that the intended use of the neighboring properties had been explicitly defined for years. So now, according to you, the taxpayers of Jefferson County are expected to just eat the considerable costs sunk into the Jeff Met area just because the new homeowners in the area have not done their due diligence.

Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top