Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 11,944 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

After being laid off for a year, I am happy to say my husband has been offered a job in the McCalla/Bessemer area.

Now we are trying to figure out the best area to live for our family.
I will try to give you as much information up front:

We have 2 boys, ages 8 & 12 yrs old. We are relocating from Michigan and currently live in a very rural area with population aprox. 5,000.

We are looking for a nice, temporary (maybe a year) rental home until we become more familiar and acclimated with the area. If you have any rental property advice you could share that would be wonderful.

We are looking for a similar school district as the one our boys attend now....aprox. 220 students per grade level, predominately white, state test scores of average or above, teacher to parent relationship encouraged through-out the grade levels.
Just overall a great, friendly and safe community to raise a family.

If you have any advice about which locations we should concentrate our search, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 10:00 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catryat05 View Post
Hi there,

After being laid off for a year, I am happy to say my husband has been offered a job in the McCalla/Bessemer area.

Now we are trying to figure out the best area to live for our family.
I will try to give you as much information up front:

We have 2 boys, ages 8 & 12 yrs old. We are relocating from Michigan and currently live in a very rural area with population aprox. 5,000.

We are looking for a nice, temporary (maybe a year) rental home until we become more familiar and acclimated with the area. If you have any rental property advice you could share that would be wonderful.

We are looking for a similar school district as the one our boys attend now....aprox. 220 students per grade level, predominately white, state test scores of average or above, teacher to parent relationship encouraged through-out the grade levels.
Just overall a great, friendly and safe community to raise a family.

If you have any advice about which locations we should concentrate our search, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
McCalla would probably be best. Bessemer wouldn't be as good a choice, IMHO.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:43 AM

350 posts, read 1,312,325 times
Just remember, their are areas that are unincorporated Jefferson County that people refer to as Bessemer that is as nice as McCalla. So do not shy away from something just because you hear the word Bessemer. A good Realtor can help you there.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info. My husband and I are open to finding a home within 30 minutes or so of his job. After reading some of the forum posts on here, it sounds like there are many nice areas to choose from.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:41 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,219,750 times
Helena might fit you also, it is a little more rural and housing prices are good. Can't really help on the school there because our children are grown and still in MI. Your post caught my attention because we are from Rockford, MI and my grown children are still living in the GR area. I think you will really like it here, we lived in NC before moving here and this is much more like home Traffic is worse here, but everything else is wonderful.
Get a good relocation expert to help with your decisions. South of Birmingham is growing but I understand that the Shelby School system is good.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:16 PM

Thank you, "cassy1"! My family has Rockford ties as well. My mother lived in Rockford most of her childhood and graduated from Rockford. At 78 years old, she still attends the class reunions and my uncle still lives on the family farm off 11 mile.

Thank you for the information regarding Helena. I will have to check that area out. We are looking for a location near McCalla similar to where we are now. Are you familiar with the Caledonia/Middleville area in Michigan? We are hoping to find a relatively small, rural town with great schools and a friendly, safe community.

Relocating can be such a difficult task when you are tyring to make sure you choose the appropriate school district for your families needs. I very much appreciate the advice!

We are hoping the move will take place around the 1st of the new year. : )

Old 10-10-2009, 01:46 PM

Where in McCalla will your husband be working?

Old 10-10-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
Helena might fit you also, it is a little more rural and housing prices are good. Can't really help on the school there because our children are grown and still in MI. Your post caught my attention because we are from Rockford, MI and my grown children are still living in the GR area. I think you will really like it here, we lived in NC before moving here and this is much more like home Traffic is worse here, but everything else is wonderful.
Get a good relocation expert to help with your decisions. South of Birmingham is growing but I understand that the Shelby School system is good.
Helena is a very nice place to live, but more rural then the McCalla area? I beg to differ.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:39 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,219,750 times
I meant that Helena was a nice smaller area and giving that I know the area that she is speaking of I think she might like it. McCalla is also nice I really don't know much about it, therefore I can't comment on it.
You will find what you are looking for here, nice and much like the area of Michigan we are from. The people are so friendly and not so cold nor the snow here. Well welcome and please IM me if I can help with anything.
By the way tell your Mom "Go Rams, GO!". Two of my three children graduated from Rockford High, good school system. By the way I have a cousin that lives out your way. lol, small world.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
I meant that Helena was a nice smaller area and giving that I know the area that she is speaking of I think she might like it. McCalla is also nice I really don't know much about it, therefore I can't comment on it.
You will find what you are looking for here, nice and much like the area of Michigan we are from. The people are so friendly and not so cold nor the snow here. Well welcome and please IM me if I can help with anything.
By the way tell your Mom "Go Rams, GO!". Two of my three children graduated from Rockford High, good school system. By the way I have a cousin that lives out your way. lol, small world.
Yes I agree that Helena is a very quaint town, I just love every time I have the need to drive through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area