Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 05:11 PM

86 posts, read 243,284 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

DH and I used to live in B'ham and are being transferred back there for his job. We previously lived out on 280 near Chelsea...wicked traffic. We want to live closer to the city and are thinking about the Homewood and Mountain Brook areas (although we've never been to those areas). I want to be midway between downtown and the Hoover area (the Galleria area of Hoover, specifically), based on where my job prospects might be.

We are going to drive in for a weekend and check out those areas (looking for apartments). I've read the posts and know that I should stay away from the apartments on Valley Road. Other than that, I feel kind of lost when I start looking at apartments on line. There are so many! I hear that Homewood is awesome, but it looks really spread out on the map, and I don't know where to start. Is part of it walkable? What about Mountain Brook? How would you compare the two?

Any specific apartments that you think are nice in those areas? We need a 2 bd apt, with the upper limit on what we are willing to spend being $950.

Thanks for providing us with some direction of where to start!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 05:34 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,939,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Hello all,

DH and I used to live in B'ham and are being transferred back there for his job. We previously lived out on 280 near Chelsea...wicked traffic. We want to live closer to the city and are thinking about the Homewood and Mountain Brook areas (although we've never been to those areas). I want to be midway between downtown and the Hoover area (the Galleria area of Hoover, specifically), based on where my job prospects might be.

We are going to drive in for a weekend and check out those areas (looking for apartments). I've read the posts and know that I should stay away from the apartments on Valley Road. Other than that, I feel kind of lost when I start looking at apartments on line. There are so many! I hear that Homewood is awesome, but it looks really spread out on the map, and I don't know where to start. Is part of it walkable? What about Mountain Brook? How would you compare the two?

Any specific apartments that you think are nice in those areas? We need a 2 bd apt, with the upper limit on what we are willing to spend being $950.

Well, given that you're working near the Galleria, there are some apartments along Overton Road that are very nice, very convenient to grocery shopping, major retail, etc., and are safe as the womb.

COLONIAL GRAND AT MOUNTAIN BROOK - Resident Approved Apartments For Rent

Old 11-10-2009, 09:49 AM

270 posts, read 528,457 times
Anywhere in Homewood would suffice, avoid Valley Ave. area however. Vestavia could also be a good option. If schools are not an issue, why not look at somethings around Southside/Highland Park area? Lots of great things there, tons of joggers, walkers, pets, etc.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:16 AM

6 posts, read 34,926 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Check out FoxHall in Crestline part on Mountain Brook. $750 2Bdr 1 Bath awsome location on Euclid Ave. Walk to the village sort of stuff or stagger home fron a night out drinking without a need to drive.
Memory Court across from the Pig in Crestline has a few of the same type Apts. Zero crime area.
Alot of empty homes too that are probably begging for a renter. I'd call a real estate agent in town or an aprtment locator service. Those go along way in finding something diecent and save on run around time.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:44 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. So much to do preparing for our move, so little time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVulcan View Post
Check out FoxHall in Crestline part on Mountain Brook. $750 2Bdr 1 Bath awsome location on Euclid Ave. Walk to the village sort of stuff or stagger home fron a night out drinking without a need to drive.
Memory Court across from the Pig in Crestline has a few of the same type Apts. Zero crime area.
Alot of empty homes too that are probably begging for a renter. I'd call a real estate agent in town or an aprtment locator service. Those go along way in finding something diecent and save on run around time.
That area in FoxHall sounds fun and perfect! I really like the idea of being able to go out for a drink and still be safe walking home at night. I haven't been able to find that apartment complex so far yet - searches keep bringing up Fox Hall Manor, which is not in the same location. Do you by chance have a link you could share to help me find it? Memory Court - same thing. Are these by chance private homes/condos that are for rent? I'm thinking that may be why I'm having trouble finding them.

I'm glad you mentioned the apartment locator service. I see so many of them listed on Craig's list, but I was hesitant to use one since I'd never gone that route before. Does anyone have a service they'd recommend? If not, I'll just cross my fingers and pick somebody.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
I'm glad you mentioned the apartment locator service. I see so many of them listed on Craig's list, but I was hesitant to use one since I'd never gone that route before. Does anyone have a service they'd recommend? If not, I'll just cross my fingers and pick somebody.
FYI, I just found the main apt locator service in Bham, Alabama Apartment Locators. Hopefully they will be good!

Old 11-12-2009, 09:59 AM

1,566 posts, read 3,267,452 times
Foxhall and Memory Court are indeed condos, so you would be renting from an individual. I'm not quite sure how you find out about openings, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area