U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-19-2007, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 42,976 times

Advertisements

hi. my husband, daughter and i are getting ready to move to birmingham and were wondering if you all could offer some guidance on the best areas to live for families. We enjoy walking and would love a safe, afforable, neighborhood that is close to shops and restaurants. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 10:28 AM

346 posts, read 1,313,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvnave View Post
hi. my husband, daughter and i are getting ready to move to birmingham and were wondering if you all could offer some guidance on the best areas to live for families. We enjoy walking and would love a safe, afforable, neighborhood that is close to shops and restaurants. Thank you.
Too much going on today. Have you read through some of the older posts. They are fairly informative. Especially a number of links to local info. Give me some details. I will gladly "talk" to you tomorrow.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:37 PM

15 posts, read 107,361 times
As a general rule, think South, as in over the mountian, Vestavia Hills, Hoover, etc. Or possiblly East, Irondale, Moody, Leeds.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:46 PM

6 posts, read 54,211 times
My daughter and her family live in Trussville, Al. It is a very nice town for families and has great shopping too. It is a great area for re-sale also.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:13 PM

48 posts, read 200,772 times
Wow. So much depends on things like a ballpark budget for a house, your idea of "close," where you'll work, etc. Hoover probably has the greatest diversity in terms of house price and population. You can find a 3 BR/2 BA townhouse for just over $100K or a single family home for about $140K. Most of the shopping is clustered loosly along I-459 from Trussville to Hoover. Outside of downtown, I think most places are considered "safe."

Old 05-23-2007, 07:26 PM

5,025 posts, read 10,910,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtla View Post
Wow. So much depends on things like a ballpark budget for a house, your idea of "close," where you'll work, etc. Hoover probably has the greatest diversity in terms of house price and population. You can find a 3 BR/2 BA townhouse for just over $100K or a single family home for about $140K. Most of the shopping is clustered loosly along I-459 from Trussville to Hoover. Outside of downtown, I think most places are considered "safe."
Except for Ensley. And much of Bessemer. And Brighton.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 47,323 times
Quote:
This depends alot on what you want. Walkability for most over the mountain neighborhoods is severly impaired. Alot of people write off the north side of the mountain communities based on antiquated ideas about the area. South Avondale, Forest Park, Crestline, etc are all safe, great communities, especially if you want a place with restaurants within walking distance. They also have a near monopoly on most of the historic (particularly victorian) houses in the city. There are of course exceptions (mountain brook and redmont park have excellent housing).

We'll need to know alittle more about you and what you're after. Generally speaking, the further over the mountain you go, the more cookie-cutter the options become, both in terms of housing and restaurant options.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:40 AM

4 posts, read 52,112 times
Did you know that many areas in greater Birmingham are quite hilly? So when you say walking are you interested in a walk around the block or local parks, state parks?

Old 06-01-2007, 12:21 PM

19 posts, read 3,468 times
hands down, Vestavia, Mountain Brook, Indian Springs-south, maybe some of Riverhcase, Helena, Alabaster, and of course Pelham---we have property off of US 280 and St Rd 119- it's still a nice nice area

Old 08-31-2009, 06:48 PM

7 posts, read 41,059 times
Quote:
hi. My husband, daughter and i are getting ready to move to birmingham and were wondering if you all could offer some guidance on the best areas to live for families. We enjoy walking and would love a safe, afforable, neighborhood that is close to shops and restaurants. Thank you.
anywhere except ensley some parts of bessemer is ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area