Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 AM

101 posts, read 297,668 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has some insight to the differences between Knoxville and Birmingham. I have a prospective job in Birmingham with what I consider a good company and I was just wondering about the "outside of work" part of Birmingham. I have lived in Atlanta and Knoxville, so I can deal with big city and small city vibes. Where does Birmingham fit in that spectrum?

I will +rep to anyone who gives a relevant answer.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 01:35 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Of course, one of the first things you'll notice is that BOTH Alabama and Auburn fans hate UTK!

Birmingham and Knoxville are somewhat similar...major interstates running through both, except Birmingham's are wider...most folks live in the suburbs to the south, from Mountain Brook and Vestavia down to Chelsea, or east to Trussville.

Birmingham has 4 4-year colleges/universities, but all combined are not as big as UTK. But it has plenty of cultural opportunities vis-a-vis symphony, ballet, pop concerts, art museum. Birmingham has an architecturally astounding downtown.

Outdoor recreation activities: they're there, but you have to look a little harder. If you do miss the whitewater rafting or climbing, it's not that far a drive up I-59 to the Smokies. And the beach is only about 4 to 5 hours away!

Welcome!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Of course, one of the first things you'll notice is that BOTH Alabama and Auburn fans hate UTK!

Birmingham and Knoxville are somewhat similar...major interstates running through both, except Birmingham's are wider...most folks live in the suburbs to the south, from Mountain Brook and Vestavia down to Chelsea, or east to Trussville.

Birmingham has 4 4-year colleges/universities, but all combined are not as big as UTK. But it has plenty of cultural opportunities vis-a-vis symphony, ballet, pop concerts, art museum. Birmingham has an architecturally astounding downtown.

Outdoor recreation activities: they're there, but you have to look a little harder. If you do miss the whitewater rafting or climbing, it's not that far a drive up I-59 to the Smokies. And the beach is only about 4 to 5 hours away!

Welcome!
Thank you Southlander. As a matter of fact, I am a Georgia Tech guy, so no SEC rivalries here (we decided to leave the SEC in 1964). At least there will be two teams in Birmingham. In Knoxville, it's Vols or bust. I swear I think I will puke if I have to look at bright orange any more ...

I didn't do much whitewater rafting and did not climb while living up here in Knoxville, so I don't think I would miss that at all. What I do like doing outdoors is fishing and walking/hiking. As long as there are a few fishing holes and walking paths, I am good to go.

The beach is one of the most appealing things to me. I love the idea of being 5 hours from a beach. Right now I am so far from Pensacola, Navarre, Destin, Gulf Shores, etc. I grew up going to those beaches (originally from NOLA), and I miss them dearly.

Thanks for the post.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:36 PM

843 posts, read 1,432,165 times
Coming from a person who has lived in both Knoxville and Birmingham, the two cities can be very different.

Where Knox revolves around UTK, Birmingham does not revolve around UAB or any of the other universities. With Birmingham being larger than Knoxville there is more restaurants and variety than Knox. Knox has a small town feel that is just spread across the valley IMO compared to Birmingham which you can feel where the downtown area begins.

I moved from Birmingham to Knoxville and had a little bit of culture shock. Going from one of the most diverse universities to a place where everyone looks the same except for a very small percentage was a little difficult. In Knox I could never find a bank of mine open on the wkd. Not a problem in B'ham.

But I do miss Petro's!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:48 AM

Ah yes, Petro's chili and chips. Honestly, that's one of the few things in Knoxville that I may miss. But it's still forgettable. Thanks for the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area