Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > Welcome To Case's Column
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Welcome To Case's Column

Let me say a big welcome to all of you for joining me here. I'm going to call these blog meetings Case's Column. I wanted to use "Corner", but that was already taken. Since 2008, it's been a real privilege to come on here and share some of my life with you, and it's a big world where we live.

In these blogs, I'll just speak whatever is on my mind, but we will be playing within the rules here. I may pick a particular topic, point out an event, or shoot the breeze. I'm a little bit of an essayist at times, so I'll just speak what's on my mind, and I might tell a story or two. Or, I might spew out an opinion or three. There will be some serious moments, some tender, some poignant, but there will also be those moments that you'll just bust out laughing. But, hopefully, everything will be in good fun here. And, of course, there's a place below for your comments and thoughts as we go along here. So feel free to join me for the ride -- I sure as heck hope I'm doing this right and not making any mistakes.

Thanks for taking your time in reading Case's Column. Hopefully, you'll enjoy being entertained by it as much as I've enjoyed putting these writings together. And thanks for the time you spend in City-Data.com, where it's great to be alive!

Regards,

case44

1. Old Comment
  2. Old Comment

Takeaways From Another Stop At Buc-ee's

Amazing what you can remember from a short stop.
  3. Old Comment

Time For The Texas Two-Step: Astros And Rangers, And It's ALCS Time

Forget about Game 1, Case. Houston will overcome this if your guys can just get to the opposing pitcher early and get the Rangers' bad bullpen more involved.
  4. Old Comment

Time For The Texas Two-Step: Astros And Rangers, And It's ALCS Time

Every Texan will be interested. This has the makings of the biggest ALCS in many years.
  5. Old Comment

Might Be Some New Construction On A Third New Water Tower In Lubbock

Close to the same vantage point, taken today by a student newspaper photographer:

https://x.com/pablo_mena_dt/status/1...dh249LNSSm3AbQ
  6. Old Comment

Suddenly, There's A Big Party Going On In The Astros' Clubhouse

Postseason baseball is back in H-Town!!!!

Love it!
  7. Old Comment

Oh, and another thing: I haven't heard anything about the new city identity logo that Lubbock's City Council was supposed to vote on recently. This new logo (City of LBK) is supposed to be placed on these water towers and other city-related repertoire going forward. We shall find something out on that soon.
  8. Old Comment

Great stuff, shoe, as always! You've delivered again!
  9. Old Comment

Saw it in person the weekend of September 9.

Here’s a picture of it from July 20, from Totally Texas Tech’s X-Twitter account:

https://x.com/ttu_red/status/1682047...dh249LNSSm3AbQ

As you can see, it’s visible from certain points inside Jones Stadium, but not all of it. It’s north of the Chick-Fil-A and the buildings to the west of it.
    Updated 09-25-2023 at 07:24 AM by shoe01
  10. Old Comment

Pics of that new water tower are visible after all on Google. Go to University Avenue and highlight the northbound lanes. You'll have frame pictures taken in June 2023 and then look westward in the shot. The new water tower is taking shape there, and that one will feature a Double T Tech logo on it.
  11. Old Comment

I Would Not Have Expected H-E-B To Do This

I made a prediction recently that, as of today, will not come true.

Instead of H-E-B's next four flagships to break ground in Corinth, Euless, Forney, and Carrollton, they won't be in those places just yet, as three new stores will get going in some other locations. KDFW-TV (Channel 4, Fox, Dallas) just announced on their website that H-E-B will get started early next year on new stores in Melissa, Prosper, and Rockwall. I was pretty close with Forney, but it's time for a Rockwall location. And it had been a matter of time before things got going in Prosper, and that's where the growth is now.

I still maintain that H-E-B will get more aggressive in North Texas in the next calendar year, and I'm willing to bank on it.
  12. Old Comment

It's A New Baking Pan / How Not To Make Frozen Omelettes In The Microwave

I remember a public-access cable show long ago, where the hosts would put all sorts of metal objects in the microwave. About as intelligent as it sounds. My guess is that they had to junk the machine not long after that.
  13. Old Comment

Statement Game: Texas Longhorns Beat The Alabama Crimson Tide

Congrats, Case. Always tough to get wins at Bryant-Denny Stadium, or so I’ve read.

Maybe Tech can have a similar type of game out west next season? I can dream. Tech did get some help at the WR position in its ‘24 recruiting class on Monday.
  14. Old Comment

Americans, Please Don't Drink The COVID Mask Kool-Aid

It's political. It has nada to do with COVID.

We need to vote government overreach out of office ............permanently!!!
  15. Old Comment

The Heat Is On? It Might As Well Be If Your A/C Is Not Right

I should have told my maintenance guy: "Put it on 40...."
  16. Old Comment

The Heat Is On? It Might As Well Be If Your A/C Is Not Right

Folks, I have this happy report: The A/C is fixed and I've got cool air flowing through again.

And now, I've taken my Hershey's nuggets out of the fridge. The hot apartment atmosphere was making them a bit mushy....
  17. Old Comment

There's The Texas Dairy Queen --- And Then There's Everyone Else's

There are some sizable Texas towns................which no longer have a DQ. If you live in Corsicana (where a Dairy Queen location on I-45 got caught up in bankruptcy and was forced to close along with a few other locations in Texas), then you'll have to drive up to Ennis if you want your steak fingers or your Blizzard. It's a crying shame. Dairy Queen needs to make a small-town Texas comeback.

Oh, and there was one in tiny Valley View, TX, that I used to stop at for a vanilla cone after coming back from Marietta, OK, for some McGehee's catfish. It's now closed. The end of an era in a small Texas town.
  18. Old Comment

The Story Of The I-27 Numbering Sees A New Change

Would like to see (at least) the San Angelo-to-Amarillo portion of 27 complete in ten years. Also, if there’s any chance of getting divided highway on US 83 between Junction and ten miles S of Eden (where it already exists), lots of people would appreciate it.
  19. Old Comment

Case's Vacation Journal: Celebrity Passings Through The Years

Bob Barker..............., come on down.

Didn't make it to 100.
  20. Old Comment

Folks, Please Stop Watching The Left-Wing Media

To make a further point, far more people watched Tucker Carlson's interview with President Trump the other night on X (formerly Twitter) than those watching the Repblican presidential candidates' debate on Fox News Channel. The internet and social media is now the place where people are getting their real news, with what's really going on.

I'd say that, outside of an up-and-coming Vivek Ramaswamy, President Trump clearly won that night.