Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > Pinkmani
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
  1. Old Comment

So many expenses, so little money...

Credit Scoring, Utilization of Credit Cards, & Household Budgeting should all be combined under a Personal Finance Elective and offered in college as a course to prepare future generations on personal money management.
  2. Old Comment

If your child is being bullied

I agree that many of the techniques used in schools to eradicate bullying, do not work. We have to remember that the bully has probably grown up with a bully in his/her home. The bully family member does not acknowledge his/her part in creating the bullying behavior. The schools are dealing with each child and his/her family and getting pressure from both ends. Creating a paper trail, recording the conferences with school personnel and the bully's family, and if need be making the complaint "formal" by filing a lawsuit and pressing charges/orders of protection can solve the problem with one child, but unless that child and his/her family get some help, the bully will continue to do what he/she was taught at home. Sometimes group therapy works for the bully when he/she is placed in a group with a mixture of the children who experience bullying. The idea is to foster an awareness of what the behavior does to others as well as how the bully feels when he/she is being bullied. The child being bullied needs to be offered counseling to deal with his/her feelings and the embarrassment of being picked on and singled out in such a negative way.
  3. Old Comment

I totally hold your president and his administation accountable for people not making it financially in this current ecomomy. Our own Vets are having to go out and hold signs because they are not making it. Just plain sick!!!!
  4. Old Comment

How Couples Should Handle Money

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YolandaC2014 View Comment
    I agree with the rule for unmarried couples. However, I do believe even married couples should keep separate accounts and maybe have one joint one. Maybe it's all the divorces I see or people abusing the money. It just takes the co-sign long out the equation if things go wrong.
    Well, I'm glad you like the rule for unmarried couples. I guess married couples could follow that one, too (in order to do the joint acct. and separate acct. thing).
  5. Old Comment

Best degree(s) these days?

I can't recommend anyone because the choice will vary with person to person. If your mind is towards the medical science then I suggest you to get the degree in <a href="http://orthopedicsurgerysandiego.com/">orthopedics</a>, otherwise choose your own way and fulfill your dream.
  6. Old Comment

All of the advises are great, unlike unmarried people, married couples also have to save some money to spend on unexpected expenditures just like on the <a href="http://orthopedicsurgerysandiego.com/">sports medicine</a>, friend's birthday or any other occasion.
  7. Old Comment

I agree with the rule for unmarried couples. However, I do believe even married couples should keep separate accounts and maybe have one joint one. Maybe it's all the divorces I see or people abusing the money. It just takes the co-sign long out the equation if things go wrong.
  8. Old Comment

Best degree(s) these days?

Chose the best degree ACCA
    For your best international career ACCA India-Financial Training Institute | ACCA Kerala,Bangalore check more about acca from this site
  9. Old Comment

"Disaster Questions?"
    Get Free Answers!
    We intend to get into the conversation with actual people like you, who have been affected by disasters recently. We want to help such people in their recovery with vital information, tips, advice and answers.
    If you or someone you know has been struck by recent Snow, Ice, Fire, Flood, Hurricane or Tornado damage (and we've seen them all firsthand), we would like to hear from you!
    Take the time to like our page at Disaster Claim Answers on facebook, and We encourage you to post your question or recovery story to our wall there, OR
    Email us at [email]stanmillersr@yahoo.com[/email], we will respond to everyone!
    Call us at 1.855.938.3101 (Free Nationwide call)
    or go to our blog at stanmillerdisasterexpert.wordpress.com to get your disaster claim answers today!
    Any way we can, we want to connect you with important information from Stan!
    Posted 02-20-2014 at 12:54 PM by StanMillerDisasterExpert StanMillerDisasterExpert is offline
  10. Old Comment

What do you think is preventing Americans from saving for retirement?

Well, that and President Obama, who wants to take every penny you and I have, tax it, and then spend it on his next lavish vacation.
  11. Old Comment

I think people expect Social Security to support them in the later years. For the most part, people on SS are the most stable during this economic down turn that we all are experiencing. Also we are a people who desire instant gratification and get what we want when we want it.

As far as saving for retirement, most people can't because of lower living wages and making just enough to barely get by. I saw in an article some time ago, that said most people in America won't make a million dollars in their life time and it rated that at 80 percent of people.

At the current of inflation, a person (or family) would have to save more than half of what they are making to continue the life style that they are presently enjoying. But saving more than half of what you make will limit a quality life style (a catch 22), so one would end up living in poverty their entire life.

I personally don't save for retirement because I don't want to. Everyone looks at money in regards to retirement, but making a life style adjustment is the most important. Being prepared to have and do less is the mindset that people in or approaching retirement should adapt.

With that being said, I will be able to say to the world, that I had my turn and I enjoyed. it, therefore I am grateful for what's been provided to me through the years. I am truly blessed.
  12. Old Comment

Are many of our health care woes related to poor nutrition?

It's not just obesity and smoking, it's a host of many other things. The foods that are available on the market in the US of A are considerably unhealthy, we ride everywhere, no longer take the stairs, or to get up to change the TV channel, (I purchased a car radio with a remote, how lazy is that?), we park close to the store, shop online, kids no longer play outside due to video games, they ride the bus to and from school, the list goes on and on.

A big part of it is due to economics. Nowadays, (and for many, many years) in a two parent home, both parents have to work just to survive leaving the children at risk for poor nutritional choices secondary to the lack of supervision, and or, bad choices made by the parents who don't have the time or energy to prepare good meals. This is where the bad habits begin, and it goes on life long. I know many parents that don't cook, instead they pick up on the way home from work or send the family to purchase fast foods, and cooking in the home happens every Blue Moon. These children eventually become parents and the trend continues.

When I was a child, the foods that we eat were prepared from scratch. We had treats but only once in a while, and that made it sort of special. Fast food restaurants were far and few between and even so, we didn't have the money to use them anyway. Today treats have hands down, taken the place of the healthy foods because it is convenient for an on the go lifestyle. Fast food joints are everywhere from burgers to Oriental foods and everything in between. Although there have been significant advances in water purification, other liquids that are available to drink have harmful chemicals, our air is polluted, and we now have pharmaceuticals that are later found to cause harm not just to the taker but to their offspring as well.

In its inception and over the years, modern technology has extended human life expectancy considerably from 30 to now greater than 75 years. Even on the battle field where soldier, airmen, marines, and sailors SAMS would die from battle wounds, they now survive. Despite all the modern developments over the years, if you look closely, you will see a trend where that very technology has begun to decrease it again.
  13. Old Comment

Teenagers And Sex?

Actually it is by God's design that humans have sex in the teenage years. This is the period of life when we are, or should be the healthiest. Man was only meant to live for about 30 years. That's long enough for us to become old enough to bear young, and live long enough afterwards to raise them until they are old enough to bear young. (Wrap your head around that)

This is why puberty happens in the teen years. All the hormones that activate the sexual drive are in full swing at this phase of life for that reason. Our reproductive system is there for only one reason, and that's to preserve the species. The fact that teen sex is frowned upon is a societal issue. We, yes we have determined that it is bad to have sex in the teenaged years when it was actually meant to be that way. (I was once told that it's a bad to put a question mark where God has placed a period.)

Life expectancy for humans was 49 years as recent as the year, 1950. Then came the advent of Penicillin which extended the human life expectancy significantly. Along with that antibiotic, many others as well as all the other medical technologies, the human life span is now beyond 75 years. So with a life span as such, it's understandable to see how society would come to believe that teens shouldn't have children.

The reality is, that a child at age ten (most not all) is very capable of fending for him or herself, but society, over the years developed morals, a value system and implemented laws which prevent them from doing so. So again, we have made it such that a teenager is not considered old enough to care for their young when in fact, they are more than adept. We need to get out of our own way to allow life to happen as it was intended. Therefore my questions is; Is teen pregnancy a problem or does society have a problem with God's intent?
    Updated 10-16-2013 at 10:13 PM by night hawk (to add content/meaning)
  14. Old Comment

Are many of our health care woes related to poor nutrition?

Nail on the head

That is a very inconvenient truth but it is truth. At our store we sell a one ounce bottle of liquid iodine, which has 600 drops per bottle. That is enough for a husband and wife for a whole year yet it's a hard sell.
    People go to a doctor and he says; you need to lose weight, dah. Don't they have a mirrow? Yes motorcycles are dangerous but people are careless and hurt themselves in dozens of ways keeping the emergency rooms covered up.
  15. Old Comment

Though I suspect that you are saying this tongue-in-cheek and just trying to draw some fire, still I will comment on the word Choices.
    Several of my buddies are always saying that people have choices. I say they don't have many good are easy ones, including the ones you mentioned. Lets hear what the troops think.