Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > jbgusa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Uncategorized Entries with no category
Old

Streets of London

Posted 09-19-2022 at 06:48 PM by jbgusa
Updated 09-19-2022 at 07:00 PM by jbgusa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z91n5Vskjg

Let me take a stab at this, though there are some beautiful comments below that are hard to top.

I first heard this song on WNEW-FM during my sophomore year of high school, 1972-3. Though my family life was decent, I did not enjoy social acceptance. That year was the first year I had some. This song reminded me that there were others less fortunate.

That period of my life was particularly meaningful for other...
Contrarian and Free Thinker
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Moderator Reports starting 8-24-2022

Posted 08-24-2022 at 08:15 PM by jbgusa
Updated 12-16-2022 at 05:30 AM by jbgusa

12-16-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Actually it means to ooze or discharge fluid.

I think a lot of people know affirmative action is racist, but many do not feel it affects them. Rest assured it can and does have an effect when for example you need emergency services and the person responding is either mentally or physically inferior.
"Actually it means to ooze or discharge fluid. " Wasn't there a note on that? Maybe after all we should change "secrete" to "hide"...
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Should we stop keeping pets? Why more and more ethicists say yes (but I say strongly "no"!)

Posted 08-21-2022 at 12:47 PM by jbgusa

More and more ethicists say yes (but I say strongly "no"!) Most animals that are commonly kept as pets (and I am not talking about exotic pets) have become pets because that's what the species' in question wanted. These two articles, Opinion: We Didn’t Domesticate Dogs. They Domesticated Us. and How Accurate Is the Theory of Dog Domestication in ‘Alpha’? make a very strong case that dogs, at least, domesticated themselves. Some wolves began hanging out near human habitations, picking...
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Obit & Tears to Eyes - Andrée Geulen, Savior of Jewish Children in Wartime, Dies at 100

Posted 06-08-2022 at 12:51 PM by jbgusa

This obituary, Andrée Geulen, Savior of Jewish Children in Wartime, Dies at 100 (link), literally brought tears to my eyes, three or four times while reading. A few excerpts:
Quote:
For that, she was honored in 1989 by Yad Vashem, the Holocaust remembrance and research center in Jerusalem, as a Righteous Among the Nations, a recognition given to non-Jews who risked their lives to save Jews from the Nazi genocide. She was made an honorary citizen of Israel.....

Describing the separations
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Liberal Fascination With Restricting Mobility

Posted 06-05-2022 at 07:39 PM by jbgusa
Updated 07-26-2022 at 12:08 AM by jbgusa

===========

In Soviet Russia, at least during the 1970s, citizens could not travel abroad at all without permission. Even travel within the country often required permits.

In the Western world now, there have been efforts to hem the right to travel in, on various grounds such as the "energy crises" of the 1970's, Covid restrictions and now the coming mandate for electric vehicles. If you think about it, it seems that the ability to, as the Mamas and Papas said...
Posted in Uncategorized