Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:46 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
here is a saddle 011 5.0.. Its nicer then any BMW I have ever sat in..

2011 Mustang: The Mustang Source Photo Gallery
All you have to do is look at the dash to see how much cheaper it is than even a 3 series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:56 PM

519 posts, read 603,984 times
Give me the GT. A strong performer out of the box and since it's a Mustang, you know that the aftermarket for it is gonna be extensive...and affordable.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:17 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Give me the GT. A strong performer out of the box and since it's a Mustang, you know that the aftermarket for it is gonna be extensive...and affordable.
I can't wait to see what kind of numbers the aftermarket can get out of the new 5.0 without the use of forced induction.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:25 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
All you have to do is look at the dash to see how much cheaper it is than even a 3 series.

in what respect?

Old 08-26-2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:
I can't wait to see what kind of numbers the aftermarket can get out of the new 5.0 without the use of forced induction.
You will see close to 500 hp with long tube headers, a race tune, cai, cams and head work and maybe an intake change.. No one has cams and heads out there yet for the 5.0 so this is just a guess at this time going on the hp increase you can get to in a 4.6 with the same work

Old 08-26-2010, 09:25 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Um, guys, the BOSS 302 is slotted between the GT and the supercharged Shelby, which is only $50k. The BOSS is NOT an $80k car. I don't know where you're getting that info from, but it's WRONG.

Quote:
While Ford isn't disclosing the price yet, Ford marketing chief Jim Farley says the Boss 302 will come in at more than a Mustang GT, priced at $29,645, but less than the Shelby GT 500, which costs $48,645.
Ford brings back high-powered Mustang Boss 302 - USATODAY.com

Ford's New Mustang Boss 302: A Bit Like the Old Boss - NYTimes.com

So, no, I did NOT post pics of the interior of an '80k car.

Even the Laguna Seca edition, with the more race oriented parts, will be less than the Shelby GT500 (which is ligher and faster this year, too, and should really have been pitted against the M3. But the performance differnce woudl be stagering in that comparo, as the supercharged Shelby handles better than the GT, stops better, and is CONSIDERABLY quicker this year than last year).

Oh, and just for the heck of it, Ford also released the info on it's new $7900 whipple Supercharger kit for the 5.0 GT that, if installed by the dealer, will have a 12 month warranty on teh supercharger, not change the warranty on the car itself AND make, get this, 624 hp! On pump gas.

Ford Racing now selling supercharger that boosts new 5.0-liter V8 to 624 HP — Autoblog

Quote:
DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Ford Racing has announced today the availability of a new, 2.3L twin-screw supercharger for the 2011 Mustang. When mated to the all-new 5.0L 4V TiVCT V8 engine, this 50-state-legal powertrain, can produce 624 hp SAE @ 6900 rpm and 536 lb-ft SAE @ 4700 rpm. This is the first Twin-screw unit available to consumers.

The new supercharger is Ford Racing's first power upgrade component for the new 5.0 engine. It was developed by Ford Racing engineers, in close collaboration with Ford Motor Company's powertrain engineers, Team Mustang, and key partners in Roush and Whipple. The supercharger is being seen for the first time Saturday at the annual Woodward Dream Cruise in Ford's Mustang Alley display.

"Superchargers are the ultimate in power upgrades for Mustang enthusiasts," says George Goddu, Ford Racing Performance Group Manager. "Calibration for a modern V8 engine, especially one with twin-independent variable cam timing, is incredibly complex. Production calibration for the 5.0 engine took 19 months. Having that knowledge base to work from is a huge advantage.

"In fact we had the whole engineering background of the engine right from initial concept," Goddu added. "With that knowledge base, and extensive collaboration across the team, we are able to offer a top-notch supercharger, induction kit and the optimum calibration. This results in great power, drivability and durability."

"After more than 100 hours of accelerated durability testing, the entire Ford Racing package performed flawlessly," reports Dev Saberwal, Ford Racing's lead calibration engineer. "Ford Racing performance parts are subjected to extensive testing to ensure optimum performance across a broad range of conditions."

This supercharger comes as a complete package, and it's available in three levels: a 525 hp kit with a 12/12 warranty; a 624 hp kit and a tuner kit for racing and extreme enthusiasts. Each of these impressive kits gives 2011 Mustang owners the opportunity to boost the performance of their cars to new levels.

Ford Racing Performance Parts offers a large selection of performance products from complete race cars to injectors. For Mustang enthusiasts Ford Racing's catalog of performance upgrades offers a range of enhancements for the 2011 Mustang as well as a wide range of power, chassis-system and appearance upgrades for 2010, 2005-2009 and earlier Mustangs.

The Ford Racing Supercharger 525hp Kit (M-6066-MGT525D) includes:

* 2.3L twin-screw supercharger assembly
* Intake manifold
* Complete air-to-liquid intercooler system
* Drive belt
* 47 lb./hr., high-impedance fuel injectors (M-9593-LU47)
* Ford Racing ProCal tool with performance calibration
* 12 month /12,000 mile warranty (when installed by a Ford or Lincoln dealer)
* Produces 525 SAE hp @ 6400 rpm and 470 SAE lb.-ft. @ 4200 rpm, at approximately 7 psi of boost with 93 octane fuel
* MSRP $7,199.00 (black) and $7,799.00 (polished chrome)

The Ford Racing Supercharger 624hp Kit (M-6066-MGT624D) includes:

* Intake manifold
* Drive belt
* Ford Racing ProCal tool with performance calibration
* Produces 624 SAE hp @ 6900 rpm and 536 SAE lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm, at approximately 9 psi of boost with 93 octane fuel
* MSRP $7,499.00 (black) and $8,099.00 (polished chrome)

The Ford Racing Supercharger Tuner Kit (M-6066-MGT23TD) includes:

* Intake manifold
* Drive belt
* MSRP $6,499.00 (black) and $7,099.00 (polished chrome)

Old 08-26-2010, 10:23 AM

thanks for posting merc..

Old 08-26-2010, 10:26 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The BMW probably has just as much plastic in the interior as the Mustang does.
There are different grades of plastic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Sorry, dashstrokers **** me off when discussing performance cars.
The cars in question are both vehicles that'll often be used as daily drivers, not track/weekend only Ferraris or Caterhams.

And in a car I drive every day, I prefer a nice environment to be in, because guess what, and this might be shocking, I'd spend far more times driving around town than in mountain passes and on racetracks.

If you stop impersonating an ostrich for a little while, you might realize that people have different priorities and different interests than you. If I wanted an all out performance car, I wouldn't get either of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Splitting hairs... come on, nearly $30k difference! And thats still ASSUMING the M3 interior is that much nicer. No performance test for that. I suppose you could get out a digital caliper and do a comprehensive analysis of body panel spacing, doubt you will find much to complain about.
I already answered this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Ofcourse not, but I'd say it's more to it than that. I'd pay an $7-9k premium for it though, over the 'stang (which isn't the worst, but they could tone down the retro a bit.)
Quote:
It's also important to keep in mind that the current M3 is already a few years old while the new GT is completely fresh. I imagine that the next iteration of the M3 will be packing significantly more fire power. This doesn't negate the value of the new GT but certainly bodes well for all car enthusiasts because the competition is going to get hot.
^^What he said, evolution catches up with everything, even M3s.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:43 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
There are different grades of plastic...
Surely you can inform us as to the specific materials used... I would like to know.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:50 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Surely you can inform us as to the specific materials used... I would like to know.
...I have eyes... and hands. If you do as well, I'm sure you can figure out what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI