Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:30 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times

Advertisements

Depends on how you drive the car, but if you are using a good synthetic, not making a lot of short trips, not operating in a very dirty environment, if the engine is good and tight, you can go 15K between oil changes no problemo.

I personally wouldn't go 15K on the *initial* oil change, some break-in wear does occur and I would want to change both the oil and filter somewhere around 4000-7500, but after that no reason not to go 15K until the engine reaches a really high mileage, at which point I might want to do it a bit more often than the maintenance computer suggests, since at that point the engine will have more blow-by, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 05:29 PM

491 posts, read 1,652,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Depends on how you drive the car, but if you are using a good synthetic, not making a lot of short trips, not operating in a very dirty environment, if the engine is good and tight, you can go 15K between oil changes no problemo.

I personally wouldn't go 15K on the *initial* oil change, some break-in wear does occur and I would want to change both the oil and filter somewhere around 4000-7500, but after that no reason not to go 15K until the engine reaches a really high mileage, at which point I might want to do it a bit more often than the maintenance computer suggests, since at that point the engine will have more blow-by, etc.
I agree with you on that note, although I relied on the service indicator at the first 15,000 miles of the car the first time I had the oil change. If I'm not mistaken, for the M3 there's a 1200 mile oil service on the first 1200 miles of the car.

LOL, even on my Honda lawn mower, I had the oil change on the first 5hours of use.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:06 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,306 times
This issue gets debated ad nauseaum on the BMW message board sites. Just a few points:

- The 15,000 mile interval is not finite but the way it is displayed makes it seem so . If you drive the car hard it will go to zero in as little as 8,000 miles (as measured by the odometer.) I've heard that it's based on a certain volume of fuel going through the engine. So short trips around town will trigger it sooner than high MPG freeway driving.

- My 330 has an 8 quart sump of fully synthetic oil. By comparison, most Japanese cars have 4 quarts of "regular" motor oil. Assuming a 5-7,000 mile change interval for the latter is it really so much of a stretch that the German engine can go 2-3X as long?

- People have been posting oil sample analysis from their BMW engines for years. The evidence suggests that 10,000 - 15,000 mile change intervals are perfectly safe for the engine. As others have pointed out, these extended change intervals have been around for years and premature engine failures are not common on BMW's.

If you still insist on $75-150 oil changes every 3,000-5,000 miles it's your money, do with it what you please

Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 792 times
my Bmw is not comfortable,what can I change to make it comfort?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i changed mine every 6k but my mechanic told me to do it every 5k. i always use bmw synthetic.
bmw 540i

Old 11-15-2011, 02:16 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
my bmw was changed every 7500 miles. once on my dime and once on theirs
since maintance was free.

even though it was 8 qts of synthetic i wasnt comfortable going 15k.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:42 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
When I had the 540i, I changed it about every 7K miles though the interval is supposed to be longer. I don't change it every 5K miles like my other cars cause it took 8qt of synthetic oil. I trust that the oil is still **** after 7K miles but I am not so sure about the filters. In today world of advance oil, I am not worry about oil breaking down but rather that the oil filter is in effective too quickly.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:34 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
- The 15,000 mile interval is not finite but the way it is displayed makes it seem so . If you drive the car hard it will go to zero in as little as 8,000 miles (as measured by the odometer.) I've heard that it's based on a certain volume of fuel going through the engine. So short trips around town will trigger it sooner than high MPG freeway driving.
This is an older thread, but I wanted to highlight this point real quick. ALL manufacturers and engineers based their recommendations on engine services on the amount of FUEL consumed by the engine. They then extrapolate this number into miles/months to make it easier for consumers to keep track of. The onboard diagnostic systems are basically tracking fuel usage as part of an algorithm that also takes into account things like cold starts and excessive idle. The algorithm "weights" these factors to determine how much of the oil has been "used".

In the case of the BMW you are dealing with a large quantity of pure synthetic through a good filter. If you are always driving at moderate highway speeds with little stop and go and few cold starts, you will stretch the life of the oil out. If you are constantly in traffic, accelerating hard and do a lot of cold starts, you will "use up" the oil faster.

These recommendations and the oil life monitors are not marketing gimmicks or "anti-engineering" recommendations. They are actually very well thought out systems designed to give you the maximum life out of your oil. Why people choose to fight with them when they aren't doing anything crazy like racing at a track or offroading is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI