Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 02:06 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Look at the youtube link in my previous post.
Tempered glass is enormously strong against impact. Beat it with the flat end of a hammer all day long, nothing.
However: it has NO strength against a focused point. One light tap with the hammer, turned so the EDGE of the flat end hits, and the glass dissolves into tiny pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaYe...CCCC4D6FC5CEC0
Shows a guy who breaks a window by throwing a tiny (size of a blueberry) piece of ceramic fragment from a broken spark plug.

It's all about focusing the impact point to a tiny area.
A metal punch works as it comes to a sharp point. So it takes only a moderate amount of force
If you have a piece of ceramic with a broken edge, that edge actually comes to a very very very sharp (small) edge. It requires almost no force at all to break tempered glass.
I suspect you could use any cut gemstone (like in a ring or bracelet) and just lean against the glass, and it should break.

Also, let me repeat. The original news story had no indication that the poor girl every woke up. I'd think that if she had that there would be unmistakeable evidence, (to the car, and to bruising on her hands, feet, elbows, etc), and such would be mentioned in the report.

Our Fire Dept and ambulances carry "spring-loaded punches" for this purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 02:07 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
What I love is that everyone says BMW should be at fault.. How about the brother?? If he is driving the car to school he should know how the locking system works.. Also if she is riding in the car to school and it is a family auto she should know about the folddown seat and pass thru.. How about there really is more to thsi story than we know.....
The article didn't state the rear seats fold down, so how do you know the seat was even capable of folding down?

I think BMW is at fault because a reasonable person would not know that a car cannot be unlocked from the inside. Plus, that just seems like a dangerous design.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:46 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,877 times
My 2001 323i didn't have folding rear seats.

That said, my 2003 ford focus did something similar. I was in a situation where I had to have my dog with me on a hot day. (Moving states and had to go to the bathroom). So I left the key in and the air on and locked it with the door fob. Came back out and it would not open with the fob. I freaked out but luckily DH was only 20m ahead with a real key. It opened with that but I never would have guessed that could happen.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:10 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post

That said, my 2003 ford focus did something similar. I was in a situation where I had to have my dog with me on a hot day. (Moving states and had to go to the bathroom). So I left the key in and the air on and locked it with the door fob. Came back out and it would not open with the fob. I freaked out but luckily DH was only 20m ahead with a real key. It opened with that but I never would have guessed that could happen.
Did you sue Ford and/or the Roadside Bathroom, Saucy?

Old 05-11-2014, 03:24 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
why is it always SOMEONE ELSE'S FAULT?
Simple. Because it IS someone else's fault. BMW was negligent. A car company has a responsibility for insuring their vehicles have reasonable safety features built into them. The ability to escape from the vehicle under most every circumstance would be considered a reasonable safety precaution to most individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
What I love is that everyone says BMW should be at fault.. How about the brother?? If he is driving the car to school he should know how the locking system works.. Also if she is riding in the car to school and it is a family auto she should know about the folddown seat and pass thru.. How about there really is more to thsi story than we know.....
How often does a person lock someone else in a vehicle, who then tries to get out of it without a key? That alone is an unusual circumstance. The locking system on this car is highly unusual, to say the least. Also, owner's manuals are not very complete. Anyone who has ever read the owner's manual on their vehicle knows they are fairly useless books. The owner's manual on my car is a generic manual for ALL the models of my car. It would be just as useful for me to read a Stephen King novel. For example, it tells me my car either needs synthetic oil or regular oil, depending on whether it has a turbo engine or not, but it doesn't bother to tell me which engine my car has.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:26 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post

Well, the FOB uses a battery and small circuit board to open and close the doors. If anything happens with the battery or the circuit board, the key is available to unlock/lock the doors manually. Never rely on the FOB to work every time.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:31 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Simple. Because it IS someone else's fault. BMW was negligent. A car company has a responsibility for insuring their vehicles have reasonable safety features built into them. The ability to escape from the vehicle under most every circumstance would be considered a reasonable safety precaution to most individuals.

How often does a person lock someone else in a vehicle, who then tries to get out of it without a key? That alone is an unusual circumstance. The locking system on this car is highly unusual, to say the least. Also, owner's manuals are not very complete. Anyone who has ever read the owner's manual on their vehicle knows they are fairly useless books. The owner's manual on my car is a generic manual for ALL the models of my car. It would be just as useful for me to read a Stephen King novel. For example, it tells me my car either needs synthetic oil or regular oil, depending on whether it has a turbo engine or not, but it doesn't bother to tell me which engine my car has.
Actually, all owners' manuals clearly explain how the electronic door lock/unlock system works, since it's a safety feature of the automobile, and I am certain will be part of the lawsuit's defense.

It's getting to the point where even knife makers are including safety warnings, because of lawsuits from consumers.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:52 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
She was a high school student, not a toddler. The cruelty of darwinism wins out it seems then.
I have read a lot of your automotive expertise the past year and sometimes you are spot on but in this particular case you really are talking like a D****bag.

Please sent a note to the parents of this child and tell them how stupid their dead child was because she didn't have the knowledge of LRPct.

Your latest lack of common sense has landed you a spot on my ignore list.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:25 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
She was a high school student, not a toddler. The cruelty of darwinism wins out it seems then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I have read a lot of your automotive expertise the past year and sometimes you are spot on but in this particular case you really are talking like a D****bag.

Please sent a note to the parents of this child and tell them how stupid their dead child was because she didn't have the knowledge of LRPct.

Your latest lack of common sense has landed you a spot on my ignore list.
+1. What LRP may not know, (or may not care about), is that the reason the girl was sleeping in the car in the first place was because she very tired from working a lot of hours to contribute to her poor family's household expenses. In addition, the girl was a full time high school student. I know this since I live in Texas and this story has received a lot more media attention here than everywhere else. I can only hope one of LRP's children never has a tragedy befall him/her, thereby opening him/herself up to nasty comments from posters just like LRP.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:38 PM

211 posts, read 409,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
+1. What LRP may not know, (or may not care about), is that the reason the girl was sleeping in the car in the first place was because she very tired from working a lot of hours to contribute to her poor family's household expenses. In addition, the girl was a full time high school student. I know this since I live in Texas and this story has received a lot more media attention here than everywhere else. I can only hope one of LRP's children never has a tragedy befall him/her, thereby opening him/herself up to nasty comments from posters just like LRP.
Not to be a smart ass, but I thought this event took place in CA, trying to figure out how it would be get more media coverage in TX than the state it happened in......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI