Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 09:46 PM

397 posts, read 802,909 times

Advertisements

Audi has a plant going in Mexico as well, and their most popular q5 will be built there starting in 2016.

Cars are automated to the nth degree and a majority of it is done by robots. Yes, there is handwork and people do matter.

Just because something is made in Germany, doesn't mean it's perfect. Mercedes has had numerous problems with their German cars and some are far below average in reliability.

I'm not a fan much either of Alabama made Mercedes. But they've been making them there 20 years or so.

The world is a changing place and Americans need to change their mind about who's making quality vehicles. China and the Asian markets are starting to get their act together.

A lot of junk has come out of America when it comes to cars over the years. So you have to be careful who you throw stones at.

When it comes to Mexico, the U.S. government has it's own issues and it's a debate going on over 20 years now. There are a lot of good people in Mexico being held back by poverty and a corrupt government with many social issues.

The more good paying jobs they have there, the less people need to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 11:22 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,110,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post

The more good paying jobs they have there, the less people need to leave.
Yeah, heard that a lot during the NAFTA debate. Looking down at the border these days, it doesn't seem to be working.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:06 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,148,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You have to remember that German cars sell on the cache of Made In Germany label. BMW is a huge seller in China. You think if they built them in China it is going to have the same draw. I think not. A Mexican BMW? Ooook.

No worse than an American BMW.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:52 AM

1,690 posts, read 4,091,594 times
I would buy a Mexican built car of ANY make over a UAW built car. Ford made a GREAT decision by using a Mazda design, and not letting the UAW build the first generation Fusions, which proved to be the only truly reliable Detroit 3 car. Now the new Fusion is a Ford design, and the UAW is "building" it. I am anxiously awaiting the new model's reliability record.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:25 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,791,104 times
Quote:
Only if Made in USA and Made in Mexico are on par. When did that happen?
Are we talking assembled in Mexico or made in Mexico? If the latter, only then I agree. But it looks like even MB has put together their C-Classes in Mexico while parts come from Germany. And isn't that what a plant will do - put together the cars rather than creating parts? I don't think anything in my BMW was created in South Carolina. Anytime you order parts and they don't have it in stock, it takes a week as it ships from Germany.

Last edited by ovi8; 07-08-2014 at 08:36 AM..

Old 07-08-2014, 02:12 PM

9,354 posts, read 9,646,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Are we talking assembled in Mexico or made in Mexico? If the latter, only then I agree. But it looks like even MB has put together their C-Classes in Mexico while parts come from Germany. And isn't that what a plant will do - put together the cars rather than creating parts? I don't think anything in my BMW was created in South Carolina. Anytime you order parts and they don't have it in stock, it takes a week as it ships from Germany.
About 30% of the parts for the X models made in Plant Spartanburg, SC are made in the US. The car is completely assembled by non-union US workers though (JD Powers rated Plant Spartanburg as the 3rd best Plant Assembly Line Quality). The engines come from Germany, but there is talk about one day assembling engines in the US.

Expect the 3-series to be built at the San Luis Potosi, Mexico plant at first, then possibly a 1 series and a Mini. They plan to have 150,000 vehicles at full production, about a third of what Plant Spartanburg will do.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:41 PM

4,613 posts, read 12,210,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
BMW will build a vast new plant in Mexico joining other European and even some Asian car makers plans for production in that country. Mexico apparently appeals to automakers on several fronts but tariff free access to the USA market and that the plants are out of the reach of autoworkers unions helps seal the deal.

BMW's $1 billion plant surfs Mexican investment wave | Reuters
Most auto plants in Mexico are union!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:21 PM

56 posts, read 58,411 times
Quote:
BMW already builds cars here. It is very peculiar not to expand their existing facilities here and head to Mexico. The financial calculations must have been huge. Is BMW building cars in any third world market?
BMW has a plant in South Africa. My 2006 3 series was built there. It has actually been a decent car.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:04 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,286,046 times
Quote:
Anyone hearing that giant sucking sound?

It's been sucking for a while now... and not the kind of sucking sound I would've hoped for...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI