Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 04:33 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times

Advertisements

I switched out of RFT tires once the original wore out. Why? At about 15K miles, wife had a flat and still drove it slowly to get to work. I went there and noticed tires was still destroyed. Had BMW towed it to the shop and I had to replace the RFT.. Guess what? They wouldn't replace one, had to do two. I kept my eyes out for stock wheels and found a set of orginal wheels with snow tires used with less 10K miles and tpms for $800. It was a no brainer to go with summer tires and swap for winter. For long trip, I put a tire from one of the other set in. It does take up space in my garage but it is so much better to drive with summer tires than the heavy RFT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 10:59 AM

342 posts, read 318,288 times
Order the spare tire kit. For $150 it's a bargain, and then you can put on any tires you want (even run flats if you choose).

Old 02-18-2019, 05:48 AM

1 posts, read 647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
On my wife's '17 X1, we did Non RFTs, and added the mini spare/jack...
I just did a build on an '18, and the non-RFTs and mini spare/jack is available.

Don't see why you can't do a non-RFT build unless you are chasing the 19" or 20" wheels.

As to RFTs vs standard tires, there are literally thousands of pages of opins on the Net.

From experience, I think they ride a bit stiffer, are more noisy, (esp after some wear), and the 'benefit' is not a reason for me to have them on any of our cars.

You may have a different opin/need.

One can build an '18 X1 without RFTs.
GL, mD
Hi Motordavid,
Mind to share what is the non-RFT that come with your X1?
Front and rear are the same?

Old 02-18-2019, 06:51 AM

4,789 posts, read 10,610,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khtung View Post
Hi Motordavid,
Mind to share what is the non-RFT that come with your X1?
Front and rear are the same?
Yes: her 2017 X1 came with Pirelli Cinturato P7, non-RFT in 225-50/R18 tires, on 18" Y spoke wheels.
A small jack and doughnut spare in trunk, under floor deck lid...

That was a no charge 'option' order, to replace the standard RFTs.

Those tires get OK reviews and are considered 'all season', which is code for Spring/Summer/Fall, but as we have an EscapeWinter house and our non winter Mtn home, we rarely get caught in serious snow.

I am sure that option was available on the 2018 MYs, but not certain if it is available on the 2019 MY, and I think the staggered 20" option does not provide for the non-RFT deal.

We do not run RFTs on any of our three cars...
GL, mD
Attached Thumbnails
Run flat tires vs non-run flat tires Option-x1-b-w-iii-9-18  

Old 02-23-2019, 01:53 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
Order the spare tire kit. For $150 it's a bargain, and then you can put on any tires you want (even run flats if you choose).
Agreed. I recently acquired a 2011 X5 with RFT and no spare (no 3rd row so there’s room for one).

The stock 18†run flats drove like rocks and as they were getting worn I bought a set of 19†2016 M sport wheels on CL for a pittance and put non run flats on, and paid around $250 for a compact spare on eBay (the same kind you get for $150 as a dealer option, or if you buy later around $400 at the dealer).

Car drives much, much better. Still strongly sprung, which I like, but the tires have a bit of give now.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:58 PM

987 posts, read 779,266 times
I was asked this when I last purchased a new set of tires for my 2009 328i Xdrive Coupe. I bought the Yokohama non break away tires. Very please with them

Old 02-28-2019, 09:50 PM

987 posts, read 779,266 times
I give a thumbs down for run flats

Old 03-09-2019, 04:50 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I think I am the only one that loves run flats. I had a tire blow out on a dark road about 45 minutes from home with my wife and daughter in the car. Made it home just fine.
Nope. Rushing to the airport and got the dreaded "bong." Drove to the airport, put air into it on the way back home. Of course, $250 replacement.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:31 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I think I am the only one that loves run flats. I had a tire blow out on a dark road about 45 minutes from home with my wife and daughter in the car. Made it home just fine.
Negatives:

-Noisy.

-Every pothole feels like an explosion.

-Can't be patched or plugged, you have to replace.

-A fortune to replace.

-the tough sidewall leads to more bent rims.

Positives:

I once noticed a nail in my tire on the way to a flight. I took my flight, put air in my tire when I returned home. got the tire replaced the next day (at the tune of $280).

Old 04-05-2019, 03:03 PM

5,181 posts, read 6,136,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
I swapped out the RFs right after I bought my Z-4 (used)
There was still a lot of meat on the RF tires but I could not get used to them.

My new Michelins made a world of difference in noise, handling, and road comfort.

I bought an emergency tire repair kit and have AAA..I'm taking a chance, I know, but the Z is not a commuter car and rarely travels more than 50 miles from my home.

It's been a year and 1/2 no issues yet..fingers crossed.
I did this on both of my Z-4's and while not that schooled on tires it was one heck of a ride difference going from RF's to conventional. The second Z-4 (both were used purchases) I changed the RF's right away. We went on pretty long trips and we also have AAA. I always figured I could find a conventional tire easier than a RF if I needed a new tire on those trips.

Now I went car shopping with my buddy this past winter and I noticed you could order spares but so many cars and SUV's are coming without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI