Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:32 PM

21,832 posts, read 25,121,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Dave Ramsey have any facts to back this up?... sounds like an opinion to me.

Sales numbers? Demographics?

Thanks for the laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 PM

21,832 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
IMHO, young professionals that have class and good taste and a sense of individuality and uniqueness don't drive BMW's they drive either an Audi A4, A5 or S5.

2012 Audi A5 - YouTube
Does their sense of individuality also drive them to listen to crappy reeee-mixxxxes of pop 40 songs?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:42 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,946,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The current BMWs are funky looking. I used to like BMWs a lot. Specifically those from the late 80s-early 90's - they had a 'crispness' to their design that is missing now. Regarding this post, though, links to data would help.
I agree. With each succeeding new version, they seem to get a bit stodgier.

I have owned 2 BMWs, including my current car. I had a 2001 5-series, and now I have a 2006 5-series. I thought the 2001 version had a crisper look and a tighter drive.

I plan to look around next time I buy a car, and think about Audi and Infiniti.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:34 AM

106,626 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyz View Post
While Bimmers are still very nice cars for the 'enthusiast' they have become increasingly trite and expensive to buy and maintain. In today's world not the best attributes for sales growth.
i loved my 328xi just because it ended up costing me less than the nissan xterra i was going to buy. when the free unlimited maintaince for 4 years was figured in it was a no brainer.

i didnt even pay for wiper blades. the fact the car was priced less after incentives than most every thing i else i considered made it a great deal.

i no longer want to own it after 4 years anyway so the fact that long term maintaince is expensive isnt an issue.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:32 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Apparently no one checked out my parking lot at work. You can't swing a mid level professional without hitting a BMW.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:48 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,428 times
Most BMWs are leased.NEarly 65% of inifnitys sold are G35s or whatever...both offer the best lease rates, $199, $260, $299 etc to get into the 3 series or G35 etc...

Then they are returned. They aren't enthusiast cars like the media will have you think since they are not bought but rented.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
bmw's seem very popular here still. im not really interested in anything that isnt an suv so i dont really look at them.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:25 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,769,555 times
BMW has a reputation for being temperamental. We're in the middle of a depression (maybe America's LAST depression). Nobody wants a car he might not be able to unload. Lexus hold their value well, and are amazingly reliable. Nobody can afford the expense and trouble of dealing with a temperamental car.

Too, the sort of people you see driving 7-series BMWs are the sort of people who put the stigma on Cadillac. I think the company's image rotted from the top down.

None of my kids have ever even considered BMWs. They all have IS250s, and are planning to replace them with precisely the same cars. Lexus are bland and anonymous, and don't attract the attention, as much, of the sort who do carjackings and kidnappings. We always loved that aspect of Volvo (the real ones...back when they were Swedish): the right people were impressed. But to the wrong people, Volvos were invisible.

Let's face it: a Word Association Test with BMW would conjure terms like 'jackass' 'jerk' 'frat rat' 'princess'... While Lexus would produce terms like 'reliable' 'dowdy' 'dependable' 'practical' 'understated' 'privileged'... We're in a depression from which we may never emerge. Western Civilization is collapsing. People are scared. Just as in the 1930s Depression, people are afraid of being showy. Lexus' image is safe. BMW's image is 'sporty'. Sporty, now, is bad.

And you have to understand how young professionals today see themselves. They were the brainy kids who suffered the long hours it took to get into and complete good degree programs. They dumped any friend who smoked or even tried drugs. They dumped friends who were 'flakes'. They competed for grades, and had their lives basically stolen by endless sports and lessons and homework. Their self-image is as 'Good Kids'. They jumped through a ridiculous number of hoops, just to do what was expected of them. They pride themselves on being grim, determined, work-oriented, and responsible. Out at the periphery of their self-image is the 'others': the spoiled brats; the cheerleaders; the Daddy's Little Football Standout jackasses; the losers; the slackers; the trophy wives; the little whores who catch middle-aged attorneys and physicians.... It is these 'others' whom they see as drivers of BMWs.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 12-19-2011 at 03:37 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 03:38 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
BMW has a reputation for being temperamental. We're in the middle of a depression (maybe America's LAST depression). Nobody wants a car he might not be able to unload. Lexus hold their value well, and are amazingly reliable. Nobody can afford the expense and trouble of dealing with a temperamental car.

Too, the sort of people you see driving 7-series BMWs are the sort of people who put the stigma on Cadillac. I think the company's image rotted from the top down.

None of my kids have ever even considered BMWs. They all have IS250s, and are planning to replace them with precisely the same cars. Lexus are bland and anonymous, and don't attract the attention, as much, of the sort who do carjackings and kidnappings. We always loved that aspect of Volvo (the real ones...back when they were Swedish): the right people were impressed. But to the wrong people, Volvos were invisible.

Let's face it: a Word Association Test with BMW would conjure terms like 'jackass' 'jerk' 'frat rat' 'princess'... While Lexus would produce terms like 'reliable' 'dowdy' 'dependable' 'practical' 'understated' 'privileged'... We're in a depression from which we may never emerge. Western Civilization is collapsing. People are scared. Just as in the 1930s Depression, people are afraid of being showy. Lexus' image is safe. BMW's image is 'sporty'. Sporty, now, is bad.
Incredibly, most of your post is simply wrong. BMWs still sell very well. People obviously are not any more afraid of temperamental cars than they were. Image conscious buyers still will put up with a finicky car, especially if it is under warranty the entire time the car is leased. (I think of BMWs as simply more expensive to keep running, not necessarily temperamental. Old Fiats were temperamental).

The resale value of Lexus is only slightly better than BMW.

If people are so afraid of being showy, why do I see a Maserati everyday? Or Bentley? Or Lotus? The selection of high end cars today is wider than ever - and more expensive than ever.

Sporty is definitely not bad. Sporty is good - as Lexus is working to rid itself of its staid image. Every company is building sporty into their vehicles down to subcompacts like the Fiesta or new cars like the Veloster. Audi is growing faster than the other Germans precisely because it is as sporty as ever with more AWD, the "S" models, and the flagship V10 R8. American muscle is better than ever - with incredible performance and track focused cars like the Boss 302.

Finally, I do not think any economist believes we are in a depression.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:12 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,769,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
People obviously are not any more afraid of temperamental cars than they were. Image conscious buyers still will put up with a finicky car, especially if it is under warranty the entire time the car is leased.

If people are so afraid of being showy, why do I see a Maserati everyday? Or Bentley? Or Lotus?

Sporty is definitely not bad. Sporty is good - as Lexus is working to rid itself of its staid image.

Finally, I do not think any economist believes we are in a depression.
Putting up with a finicky car means wasting endless hours getting it sorted-out. Those hours can mean the difference between 'making partner', and stagnating. Bosses are quite unsympathetic to whose whose days are interrupted by 'Dropping off the BMW' and 'Picking up the BMW'. And being seen as 'image conscious' is a hazard unto itself. Bosses see the image conscious as competition. I would add that during our own rise in the world, we drove extremely used Volvos. We'd still be driving Volvos, if they still really made them.

It is not young professionals who drive hyperluxury cars. Generally, those are driven by impotent old men cruising for young nookie, trophy wives, criminals, and Sports Monkeys. Some of them are social-climbing Dragon Ladies like myself. I am over 40, and surely no longer qualify as 'young'.

Lexus has traditionally been a very ugly car. IS was their first attractive series. If they simply make the Lexus beautiful, they will do well. If, however, they make it 'sporty', then they will be making a huge mistake. When Ford ate Volvo, the gimped-up/tricked-out ghetto tennis shoe look was something the marque's traditional customer base found exceedingly offensive. We LIKED 'boxy' (although we called it 'sedate'). At that point, we, and everyone we knew, switched to Lexus and Mercedes, because those, at least, still looked dignified.

My kids bought their IS250s because the car's lines are serene and uncluttered, and because the wheels were the least 'ghetto' of anything being offered.

And as for whether we are in a Depression... I take it you don't personally know any Economists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI