Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Annoying Kid Who Never Shuts up Buy a Mini-Cooper?
Yes. Go for it! You'll look dumb in one at age 60! 18 62.07%
No. Do you want to end up as roadkill? 3 10.34%
I don't care. Stop annoying us with your rants! 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:20 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,932,720 times

Advertisements

Awww, Get the Mini. They're cute! Besides, big isn't always better.

http://www.vmunix.com/mark/blog/arch...-vs-ford-f150/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 11:51 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,455 times
Go for the mini, the only thing i would do though is maybe price a good used one then use the extra money saved to do some customizing to it, another drawback would be check a few mechanics to see how many will work on them, the older minis everything was packed in there real tight and some mechanics might flat out refuse to work on them.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:23 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,455 times
Here you go
Attached Thumbnails
Mini-Coopers?-swb-new-mini.jpg  

Old 04-26-2007, 12:35 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,932,720 times
Cool... A baby magnet!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:34 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_eh_ND View Post
I agree. I'm not big on little cars myself...in fact I don't like cars altogether (for me to drive that is), which is probably the reason I drive a big-a$$ truck....I cringe everytime I pass a tiny car like that on the highways! Especially the very tiny ones, like the min-cooper that come up to about the top of my wheel...ARG!! I'm cringing now!!! They make me nervous! I will admit they are VERY cute looking, but I'm sorry...I'd rather pay the $70 for a tank of gas.... Not to say I've never owned a car...have owned lots...especially loved the little 5 speeds...but after moving to the country...everything changed, not to mention all the MVA's I've seen and attended to involving car vs truck/semi. ARG!! Cringing again!!
That's pretty much how I feel. My husband and I have a full-size Dodge truck, and a Dodge Durango. I prefer trucks and SUV's, and I don't really like cars at all, particularly little ones! Well, unless it was a muscle car; that's in a totally different catagory. A couple of weeks ago, as we were helping our son buy his car, (he finally bought a Pontiac G6, 4-door sedan. Actually pretty sharp for a car), and we were wandering the lot, I spotted one of those Mini Coopers, and slid into it, just out of curiosity. It was like sitting in a very small tin can! As far as "cute" goes, yes, they are that, but good heavens, what a way to have to get around! Of course, I'm used to our vehicles, so it made it that much worse, but they wouldn't be practical for any of my crew, anyway. I'm the shortest adult in the group, at 5'8"! The tallest adult is 6'10", and there are a bunch of growing young'uns. So, a Cooper would be a little goofy for any of us. I could just see us driving one of those!

I also feel a tad safer in a larger vehicle. No guarantee, obviously, but I prefer them, anyway. Besides, I like my V-8, 360 under the hood, (both vehicles)! Yes, it eats the gas, but as you said, I'd rather pay the extra money.

It's always at trade-off, no matter what a person drives. If ScrantonWilkes wants to own a Cooper, I'd say go for it! Sounds like he already really likes them. That's why there are different type vehicles, so everyone has a choice.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:30 AM

21 posts, read 60,641 times
As an owner of a Mini (my wife lets me drive hers ) probably the biggest drawback is the dealer network. Minis are a product of BMW, however, to get your "free" standard maintenance and not void your warranty, the work needs to be done at a Mini dealership by a Mini service person. THe same goes for any repairs while the car is under warranty. So if there's no dealership in town, you can end up driving/towing your car a couple of hours to the nearest dealership. If you get one that is past the 4year/50k warranty a BMW mechanic should be able to work on it, but as noted by joee it is small so stuff is crammed in pretty tight under the bonnet.

As for snow - it hasn't failed us, but we live in Omaha, so we aren't getting quite as much snow as you are ScrantonWilkes.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:59 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,258,704 times
My boss has one, it's standard, and she had no problem with the snow this past year, she just adjusted her driving accordingly. She likes it, but she's only 5'1" tall. I don't know how tall you are, but you may want to reconsider. The other thing, too, is tires. The tires are specialized and you can't just drive into Sears for one.

But I agree, you'd look pretty cool behind the wheel.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:46 PM

653 posts, read 3,407,974 times
The "Minis" are awesome!! I have a Focus ZX-3 SVT, which is a little bigger than the Mini. I drove a Mini for a day but ended up buying the Focus because of pricing issues. (Talking New here). The Mini has amazing agility. I believe that it has great crash test scores as well. I have heard about some 'reliability' issues w/ the Mini-something you might want to look into further. For overall "Fun Factor"---it would be hard to beat a Mini!!!

Old 04-26-2007, 01:53 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosanostra View Post
As an owner of a Mini (my wife lets me drive hers ) probably the biggest drawback is the dealer network. Minis are a product of BMW, however, to get your "free" standard maintenance and not void your warranty, the work needs to be done at a Mini dealership by a Mini service person. THe same goes for any repairs while the car is under warranty. So if there's no dealership in town, you can end up driving/towing your car a couple of hours to the nearest dealership. If you get one that is past the 4year/50k warranty a BMW mechanic should be able to work on it, but as noted by joee it is small so stuff is crammed in pretty tight under the bonnet.

As for snow - it hasn't failed us, but we live in Omaha, so we aren't getting quite as much snow as you are ScrantonWilkes.

Thanks for the mentioning of the dealer issue. We have several BMW dealers in and around the city, but we don't have a Mini dealer. The nearest dealers to our home are in Northern and Central New Jersey, about 90 minutes away. I suppose this pretty much rules out the purchase of a Mini for myself.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:00 PM

282 posts, read 1,264,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Thanks for the mentioning of the dealer issue. We have several BMW dealers in and around the city, but we don't have a Mini dealer. The nearest dealers to our home are in Northern and Central New Jersey, about 90 minutes away. I suppose this pretty much rules out the purchase of a Mini for myself.
SWB~
There isn't one in Binghamton? I thought there was. I could have sworn it was part of the Mathews auto group.

Nevermind, I just checked the Mathews website. Sorry!

Last edited by Lauri_25ny; 04-26-2007 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Checked something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI