Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:06 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,218,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Selling Pilots and Ridgelines is not at odds with being "green." They don't sell any Suburbans and they don't have any V8s. A Pilot's powertrain is little different from the Odyssey minivan. They are both people haulers.
For 2010 models: (city/highway)

Ridgeline: 15/20
Pilot: 17/23

Suburban: 16/21
Hybrid Yukon: 21/22

I found that after a quick search. Also, the Suburban/Yukon is larger and more power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 07:47 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
I read this article last week when it came out and agree with it 100%. I used to own a Honda and loved the car, but I don't care for where they went with styling. Too bland, too bloated. I also agree with earlier statements on where they need to be. For example, the Ridgeline is a poser vehicle. Nobody really needing a pickup is going to buy it as they don't believe a truck without a frame makes much sense. They should have just stuck to sedans and possibly the odyssey mini-van.

Acura? Why? They never managed to get this brand up to the same level as Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and even Cadillac these days. The excessive use of chrome on top of plastic styling looks like, well, lots of chrome paint on plastic. This isn't something the luxury buyer wants.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:14 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,167 times
When I think of "three troubled brands"....GM, Ford, and Chysler are the first three I think of...

Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
For 2010 models: (city/highway)

Ridgeline: 15/20
Pilot: 17/23

Suburban: 16/21
Hybrid Yukon: 21/22

I found that after a quick search. Also, the Suburban/Yukon is larger and more power.
Did you notice that all these vehilces have 5 star crash ratings, but Suburban and Yukon have notably higher rollover probability. Yukon has over 50% greater rollover chance than Ridgeline.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Did you notice that all these vehilces have 5 star crash ratings, but Suburban and Yukon have notably higher rollover probability. Yukon has over 50% greater rollover chance than Ridgeline.
Couldn't find those ratings. However I don't see how safety is related to fuel economy.

Honda doesn't make a V8 yet they have gas guzzlers. Come on, a Ridgeline sucks down more fuel than a Suburban?! The Pilot isn't much better!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:56 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,572,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchMZ View Post
I think the VQ six cylinder engines Nissan employs are excellent from a performance standpoint. However, fuel economy is mediocre at best. One of my family members has a 2010 Maxima and the best I could muster going 65mph with the cruise set on a clear day of around 70 degrees F was 25 mpg on the highway. That is awful for a new FWD car; a new 300hp v6 Camaro is rated at 29mpg hwy, and that is a RWD sports car. In comparison, my Acura TL has acheived 38mpg in aboslutely ideal conditions while drafting a semi.

Also, I find Nissan's interior design and quality to be hit or miss. Compare a VW CC or new Ford Taurus to a new Nissan Maxima and you might be suprised that those two actually have much better quality interiors. Also, compare a new Nissan Sentra or Versa to a new VW Golf or even the Hyundai Elantra and you might be pleasantly surprised.

That being said, if I was buying a sports car it would be a Z...
the VQ motor is awesome. you cannot kill a VQ or so it seems. Nissan has been producing VQs since 1990 when they started using them in Maximas. The size of VQ's are 3.0, 3.5, 3.7, and 4.0 My parents 1994 Mercury Villager has a VQ 30 with over 200,000 miles that still runs and drives and they have not maintained it sadly. There is so much sludge in that engine Im surprised it hasnt died yet The air filter looks like it is older then I am too. I would shoot myself if I ever even came CLOSE to letting my car get like that

As far as the VQ fuel economy there is a lot of power in VQs depending on the size and which model the engine is used in. I'll give you an example with the VQ 35
z: 287 HP
Altima 240-270 HP
Altima SE-R: 260 HP
Maxima 265 HP
Quest 235 HP
Infiniti G35 : 265 HP
But back to their reliability, if Nissan has been using them for 20 years something has been being done right. Next time you take a drive around on the expressway or in the city, notice how many older maximas, quests and mercury villagers are still driving around

I will agree with you on Nissan interiors. They also seem very cheap and slapped together with a lot of hard plastics. The design of my car's interior is satisfactory but it could have been better. My car is silver outside and greyish silver inside, monotonous and boring IMO. I have a hairline crack in the top of the center console between the stereo and the windshield thanks to the intense summer heat here in Orlando, FL and plastic has chipped off on the A/C vent on the far right side when one of my friends mistakenly hit it

Not a big deal to me but Im surprised that plastic all broke so easily

Old 01-26-2010, 08:01 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,475,507 times
Thanks for giving me some insight on the Honda identity crisis issue. I see what you mean now. Only thing I really disagree with is the styling. I love where Honda has went with their styling, many don't. When I think of "bloated" cars I think of Malibu's, Impala's, Caliber, and Buicks. No Honda's really come to mind on that.
I still think the build quality of Honda is very strong. Dash, door panels and all that stuff seem to stay really tight and new.
The Pilot gets worse mileage than a Suburban, so they say. I would never own a Suburban though personally. Too bulky.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:08 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
I don't buy into the idea that Honda and Toyota are slipping in quality.

Nor do I buy into the idea that GM or Ford are improving in quality.

In my mind, reliability of a particular model can only be judged 10 years down the road. So to me it is a fantasy to say that Ford or GM have grown more reliabile since, say, 2005 or 2006.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:09 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I read this article last week when it came out and agree with it 100%. I used to own a Honda and loved the car, but I don't care for where they went with styling. Too bland, too bloated. I also agree with earlier statements on where they need to be. For example, the Ridgeline is a poser vehicle. Nobody really needing a pickup is going to buy it as they don't believe a truck without a frame makes much sense. They should have just stuck to sedans and possibly the odyssey mini-van.

Acura? Why? They never managed to get this brand up to the same level as Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and even Cadillac these days. The excessive use of chrome on top of plastic styling looks like, well, lots of chrome paint on plastic. This isn't something the luxury buyer wants.
You are so wrong about the Ridgeline. It isn't a poser because it isn't trying to be another half ton. They aren't selling it to the people who think there is only one way to build a truck. The Ridgline has a reinforced unibody, rides and handles far better than traditional trucks, and has unique features like the large locking trunk under the bed.

It's target buyer is someone who occasionally needs a truck - where 5000 lbs of towing is enough - and who likes a firm car-like ride.

Until recently Cadillac has been a joke. They are building some interesting vehicles now and GM deserves credit for the turnaround. But there are still bloatmobiles in the line - none worse than the Escalade. And the DTS is still for the over 60 crowd. Not sure what you're talking about with Acura and chrome. The chrome champion today is Buick. Look at the Enclave. They trimmed everything possible in chrome.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You are so wrong about the Ridgeline. It isn't a poser because it isn't trying to be another half ton. They aren't selling it to the people who think there is only one way to build a truck. The Ridgline has a reinforced unibody, rides and handles far better than traditional trucks, and has unique features like the large locking trunk under the bed.
The Ridgeline is a gas guzzling gutless "truck" with a drivetrain and suspension weaker than 90's rwd sedans. My boat of a Cadillac has more towing capacity than that thing, better fuel mileage as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI