U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 AM

107 posts, read 439,673 times

Advertisements

BMW dealer offers BMW extended warranty (Platinum top level) for 3 years and up to 100,000 miles for $2080. Is this a good price to pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:20 AM

5,162 posts, read 10,472,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtex View Post
BMW dealer offers BMW extended warranty (Platinum top level) for 3 years and up to 100,000 miles for $2080. Is this a good price to pay?
1 - When does it start ?
Many of these *extended warranties*, start *right away* ...
If so, why is it called *extended* ?

2 - Is there any info available for your particular model about service done *outside* the normal warranty period ?
If there is, info of repair costs, what was the average total ?

In short, every vehicle sold today, does have a warranty of a certain period.
After that, you are *on your own*.

In my case I have always bought an *extended* warranty that starts AFTER the original warranty expires.
Also the length of my total warranty is the same as the contract length of my payments.
Why have a car that is not paid off yet, and is NOT under some kind of warranty.
One large aspect of me buying extended warranty is the fact that there are so many computers in a car now,
and the repairs (replacement costs) are very expensive if one of them fails.
LBNL ... In retrospect, I have found that my cars (I have been doing this for over 30 years),
do not have major repairs that would have exceeded the extra extended warranty cost,
so I am asking myself many times if it was worth it ?
But then, why would you then buy any insurance if it was NOT a gamble anyway ?
The insurance company gambles that you do not get sick, and you gamble that you do get sick .....

Old 05-17-2010, 11:28 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,521,951 times
The BMW packages are different than third-party warranty companies, and the coverage is actually good, since it's backed by BMW.

The price quoted seems to be fair, actually. Is that inclusive of sales tax, or just the Platinum price? Either way, it's a fair price to pay, and would be less than one or two issues during the coverage period, out of warranty.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-17-2010, 11:34 AM

848 posts, read 1,623,471 times
If you are not able to self insure, i.e. possess savings to cover potential repairs, then it *may* be a fair idea.

Pay attention to Irman's post. Those extended warranty start dates sometimes are concurrent with the date of purchase so you're not really getting the full number of years advertised.

We do not buy extended warranties and only once in many years did we need to pay out of pocket for a major repair.

We have a Volvo now, but before buying found (through word of mouth from other Volvo owners) who was an honest and excellent Volvo mechanic. Routine maintenance on some foreign cars can be quite expensive so get a mechanic lined up.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
1 - When does it start ?
Many of these *extended warranties*, start *right away* ...
If so, why is it called *extended* ?

2 - Is there any info available for your particular model about service done *outside* the normal warranty period ?
If there is, info of repair costs, what was the average total ?

The insurance company gambles that you do not get sick, and you gamble that you do get sick .....
I was mistaken, they actually offered it for $2800. I guess that my current factory warranty of 4 yrs or 50,000 miles will expire in 6-7 months or less - the car's mileage is close to 50,000 miles. The first service was done in Dec 2007. For that cost it could be extended to overall 6 yrs and 100,000 miles, i.e. till Nov 2013.

It's my first BMW. I bought it used so I am concerned a little bit on potential costs of breakages after the warranty expires. Although I have savings to cover that, I want a peace of mind.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:28 PM

5,010 posts, read 12,808,501 times
Is it a full factory warranty covering brakes, oil changes, and all?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:26 PM

621 posts, read 946,388 times
What model BMW do you have? Some models are more prone to issues than others and I would buy the Warranty the price sounds about right. I wouldn't extend the maintenance package though, its not worth it just find yourself a good BMW Indy shop to do your regular maintenance it will save you a lot of money.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Is it a full factory warranty covering brakes, oil changes, and all?
It is not an extended maintenance coverage so they will not cover regular oil & brakes change but mechanical breakdowns plus wear and tear breakdowns. The maintenance coverage for 6 yrs and 100,000 miles was offered for $2,095, but I am not sure that I need it.

Last edited by amtex; 05-17-2010 at 08:26 PM..

Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
What model BMW do you have? Some models are more prone to issues than others and I would buy the Warranty the price sounds about right. I wouldn't extend the maintenance package though, its not worth it just find yourself a good BMW Indy shop to do your regular maintenance it will save you a lot of money.
I've made a correction - the price offered $2,800... Is that sounds reasonable?
2008 328i

BTW the dealer provided the price list for regular maintenance works:

Oil service with data reset...$200.00
Vehicle check......$225.00
Brake fluid flush (2 yr intervals)...$185.00
Air filter.......$100.00
Micro filter replacement.......$185.00

Totals to $895 (with brake fluid flush) or $710 (without it)

Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 PM

5,010 posts, read 12,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtex View Post
It is not an extended maintenance coverage so they will not cover regular oil & brakes change but mechanical breakdowns plus wear and tear breakdowns. The maintenance coverage for 6 yrs and 100,000 miles was offered for $2,095, but I am not sure that I need it.

$2100 in addition to the $2800?

This is why you lease BMW's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI