Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:15 PM

101 posts, read 451,830 times

Advertisements

Wow, that is a big deal. What a great opportunity for film students. Movie studios are exciting, fun places to visit. I had the chance to go to the taping of several sitcoms in the late 80's with my high school, which was about half an hour from Hollywood.

I imagine though, they're going to need a lot of people from CA to run it, at least at first. That being the case, perhaps many Boiseans will have a chance to be exposed positively to those of different ethnic backgrounds on a larger scale.

Thousands of new jobs is always good news for any city. Good for Boise!

I wonder, if this project moves forward, if any of the casting would take place here?

Old 06-26-2007, 11:21 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,319 times
I bet you will see more of the casting here. These guys aren't messing around. I thought it was pretty exciting too. They are going to make it a tourist stop. I think I remember hearing they wanted to put up plexi-glass so people could actually watch the filming take place with out interrupting. There is also going to be themed residents with some of the upper end homes available for actors to rent.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:48 AM

434 posts, read 3,177,609 times
I have lived in six different states, 3 out west and 3 east coast/midwest and I have to tell you that Boise is the best place that I have ever lived. It has all of the great attributes of the west, the mountains, rivers, wide open spaces and the weather is the best kept secret in the country. If I had known what the weather was like before I would have moved here 20 years ago. Boise also reminds me of a midwestern city, people are low key, hard working and just want to make it to the weekend to go hunting, boating, fishing, camping, etc...

My impression of SE Boise is that the people that grew up in that area never leave and buy houses right down the street from their parents. We tried making friends from church that lived in that area and all they could talk about is running into people that they grew up with and keeping tabs on everyone from their old neighborhood. We have lived on the Bench and now in west Boise and do not have that problem.

Everyplace has good points and bad points, but in Boise the good far outweighs the bad. Right now I can't think of a better place to raise my family.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:14 AM

101 posts, read 451,830 times
I hear about the "bench"....where is that? Could you explain? I know where Federal Way is, as I live below it, off of Bergeson. Is the "Bench" the area above Federal Way? Like where Kootenai street is? Like say you are driving from the Home Depot on Federal towards the post office...would the "Bench" be that whole residential area to the left?

I'm not above looking for a friendlier neighborhood in Boise, if there is one! The SE area is the only place we've lived since getting here. We were running out of time, school was starting in 2 weeks, and we'd been looking for places for weeks at that point. Finally, we just took an apartment. Which, don't get me wrong, I actually really like the apartment, and the neighborhood is exceptionally clean and pretty quiet, and although there is some crime, I do feel safe.

Are there grocery stores and such in the "Bench" area? That's one thing, I really hate shopping here, dealing with so many rude people. I avoid the grocery store like the plague, lol!

I don't know though....we'd still only have this one mall to go to, and although I like the stores there, it's full of rude shoppers, as well. I was in there just last weekend, smiled at a middle aged couple sitting at a table in front of that lemonade place upstairs, and the woman totally scowled at me! Geez. The only nice people in that mall are the people working in the Disney Store and Build-A-Bear, lol!!!

I am concerned about my children growing up with a majority of these types of people around them.....either they're going to get treated badly, or end up acting just like them, neither of which I want.

I really think the area is just a little too uptight for me, as a whole. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with that, if one happens to be a person who enjoys an uptight community. I don't think I'm cut out for it, though, and am leery of raising my kids in a place where people seem to be judged and treated harshly. I much prefer the laid back communities, where people are friendly and communicative.

Then why not go back, you may ask? Well, as much as I love the community I am from, as it was 10-15 years ago, hispanics, both legal and illegal make up a huge majority of the population there now. Don't ask me how they manage to support themselves there with their broken or nonexisting English skills, considering even an old track home in a less desirable neighborhood now runs a person half a million dollars in that city, but they do. Although I value diversity, I don't want to feel like I live in Mexico, either. I don't want my kids' educations totally affected by the dynamic of teachers having to spend way too much time helping the kids with limited English skills as opposed to helping mine move forward.

I think I thought Boise would solve that problem, and by all rights, it did. I guess we have to be careful what we wish for though, lol!

And, truth be told, we've still had the problem of "teacher-is-too-busy-helping-kids-who-don't-speak-English-to-give-appropriate-attention-to-my-English-speaking-kid" here in Boise. Last year, it was a real issue for me. Don't get me wrong, I really want the non-English speaking kids to get a quality education, too. But I have seriously mixed feelings about it meaning that my kids' educations are negatively affected. I don't know what the solution to that is, but there it is, anyway.

Wow, sorry about these long posts!

Old 06-27-2007, 11:51 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
Pippi333,
I think you are a bit over-sensitive. I just don't understand why you think everybody is so mean, and I have also noticed you copy and past you same rant and rave in a few of the threads and I personally think they are offensive because you are trying to generalize the whole city. Speaking about being close minded, you take the cake. I can understand everybody has different experiences, but you make it sound like Boise is like the area you maybe moved from.
Boise is not uptight and is known and praised for being layed back and friendly and accepting. I shop at Albertsons quite often and everybody is nice, the checkout clerks smile and say hi, shoppers in line with full carts let people in front of them who are buying a few items.
I think your posts are grossly exagerrated and purposely meant to be negative.
Another thing I have noticed about this forum in general is that the negative people seem to be the ones who participate the most and rant and rave their misery for the rest of us to deal with. In other words, this forum seems to be a place to moan and groan rather than to chat about positive attributes.
I am a newcomer to Boise and have never live in a more friendly city. I still cannot get over the fact I can walk downtown and people give each other eye contact and say hello and smile. People in Boise seem to be generally happy to me. Of course there will be the "debbie downers".

Old 06-27-2007, 02:37 PM

434 posts, read 3,177,609 times
It's like when I was in college working retail and I was told that everyone that has a bad experience in our store will tell an average of 8-10 people, but if they have a good experience they may tell 1-2 people.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:38 PM

140 posts, read 491,303 times
Default Wow

Hi Pippi. It sounds like you don't like it there so much. That is too bad. I visited for a week last summer and a week in February. I really liked it. I found people to be way friendlier there than out here! I know two weeks is not very long, but I kept waiting for someone to pinch me as I thought I was dreaming. Everyone we met was kind.
I grew up in Ventura County and live in the North Bay now. I can tell you both areas have really changed for the worse! You hit it on the head with the school situation and we have a ton of illegals all over the State draining our resoursces and way of life. There are beatings and stabbings along with drive-buy shootings murders etc. in the paper almost dailey here. Many of these crimes are comitted by minors to boot! I have had enough. They beat kids for wearing the wrong color of shirt or hat around here and we live in a nice town. (usually 3-5 against 1) I plan to get involved up there to help them prevent the onslaught of crime that has come along with the illegal invasion of California.
I am going up there next week and plan to buy a house in the North East Meridian area. I hope we like it there. I am looking forward to getting outta here ASAP. Maybe you should come back for a little visit, it may provide you with a different perspective towards Boise. Although Mayberry RFD was only a fictional place, thats how I felt while visiting Idaho.
TTFN C.C.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:20 PM

171 posts, read 1,052,126 times
Although there are things about Boise that I do not love, my experience has been that people in Boise are very very friendly. In regards to Alberstons, I shop at the one on State St and the one on Park Center, and the checkers have always been extremely friendly to me. In fact, at the one on Park Center there is a checker there that is so friendly he gets on my nerves a bit.

Our friends and family that visit have all commented on how friendly everyone in Boise is .

I have LDS neighbors and non-LDS neighbors and have never had issues with our family being discriminated against. Everyone is neighborly, and does favors for one another and the religion does not play a role. It is true we don't socialize as much with our LDS neighbors, but that has been as much our choice as it has been their choice. Our wine and coffee vices set us quite apart

I have my own set of gripes and groans.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:46 AM

140 posts, read 491,303 times
Default I'm here

Well, we just got here yesterday and the area still seems really nice to me. It does seem like the roads are more crowded than last time, but I still like it.
We must have looked at 6 or 7 houses yesterday. There are a lot of them on the market.
I can see how some of the locals are bummed out about all the growth. You can see it everywhere. I hope they do a better job keeping up with infrastructure than we did during our big booms.
Speaking of booms, we'll be checking out the Fireworks in a few days. I love the Fourth of July. We'll see how the city of Boise and Meridian celibrate!
TTFN, C.C.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:31 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Carl View Post
Well, we just got here yesterday and the area still seems really nice to me. It does seem like the roads are more crowded than last time, but I still like it.
We must have looked at 6 or 7 houses yesterday. There are a lot of them on the market.
I can see how some of the locals are bummed out about all the growth. You can see it everywhere. I hope they do a better job keeping up with infrastructure than we did during our big booms.
Speaking of booms, we'll be checking out the Fireworks in a few days. I love the Fourth of July. We'll see how the city of Boise and Meridian celibrate!
TTFN, C.C.
First thing: make sure you vote out the current Ada County commissioners. Nothing but a bunch of pro-growth, pro-business crooks.

I'm not so much bummed out about the growth as I am where the growth is occurring. I'd much rather see Boise develop to the South than to the North (in the foothills).

I think for a city that has been growing as fast as it has all of the problems are ironically contained in the places where people are living, as opposed to the places where people are working or playing (so far). The commutes across Eagle and Meridian roads, on State St. and on I84 where people are leaving and returning to home are atrocious, but the downtown is still surprisingly peaceful (at least until they finish all of these new lofts and condos).

And that's fine with me for right now. If people want to move in in droves and live in Nampa/Eagle/Meridian, then go right ahead and suffer the same woes they left (traffic, house prices, crime).

My suggestion to you: try to live somewhere close to work, and get the bike out. Not only will you avoid all of the stress that comes with commuting, but you are helping to (in your own small way) fight the very problems that people moving here create (increased congestion, traffic and air pollution). And you'll find that people will be quicker to accept you for doing so.

Remember, it isn't that we hate Californians (or any other immigrant for that matter), but just that we hate the things that come with growth. You are necessarily part of the problem, but you don't have to add to it so long as you do your best to help fight many of the problems that growth brings (and don't f-cking buy and SUV, please). And honestly, most immigrants do well in this regard (sans the SUVs).

To tell the truth, though, the most stubborn and harmful people aren't the newcomers, but many of those that have been here forever that won't compromise or adjust to a less impactful lifestyle. They want to keep their pickup trucks and be able to drive anywhere and anytime, to waste gas and add pollution and waste water on their expansive lawns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: