Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 02:28 PM

45 posts, read 100,844 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am going to relocate. I have been seriously considering Boise, Fort Collins, and more recently Vancouver, WA.

My reason for posting about Boise in comparison to Vancouver, is that my personal preference leans more towards the lush mountain beauty offered in Vancouver, but all the talk about too many gray, misty (drizzle as opposed to downpour type rain) days concern me as I have contended with depression for many years. I have lived in California most of my life, so I have no idea if the weather there will play into my condition. I do not feel any more or less depressed during the rainy season here.

Boise attracts me for many reasons, but as I said, I do prefer more mountain greenery than seems to be offered there. Perhaps my perspective needs an adjustment. I am basing my assumptions on posted videos, images, and thread conversations.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 03:25 PM

47 posts, read 289,289 times
Whattoknow,

40 miles north of Boise is the Payette River and some terrific mountainous area's to escape the arid look of Southern Idaho. If you live in Boise though you will have to contend with more of a winter than Vancouver. Good luck.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:59 PM

100 posts, read 233,420 times
I would consider Boise a safe community overall. Generally, a nice small town feel to it even as it grows. Idaho job market is flat. Statewide, very conservative, however, Boise could be described as much more moderate. Roads are barely keeping up with growth - traffic is becoming an issue in recent years. Inversion at times over the Treasure Valley can cause gray days that you might find depressing. Beautiful summers with long days, but can reach 100 degrees. Outdoor activities such as floating the river, hikng, and biking are most popular. Have visited your other choices, but will leave that to people who know more. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
Well, Ive lived in Both Vancouver and Fort Collins...and Im looking at Bosie now. I know that FC offers a heck of a lot of sunshine...about 300 days a year, but it snows about 50 plus inches of white stuff too, VC has about 95 days off sunshine, give or take 10 days. Its close to Portland and sales tax free shopping, there is no income tax in VC WA, so you get the best of both worlds. I can see no redeeming qualities in fort Collins, its by some worthless foothills, no real mountains. To see trees, you have to travel way northWest and pay to get into a national park (Rocky Mountain). There are some trees on the way, but pinebeetles are killling all of them.

For you....seriously try Medford Oregon. Just check it out. Wish me luck in my Boise research.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 AM

45 posts, read 100,844 times
Thank you both Hometown Josie and Foreverking. Very useful information. Just what I needed. Foreverking, I do hope you find just the information you need to make a well informed choice concerning Boise.

Sincerely,

Whattoknow

Old 09-06-2010, 01:24 AM

100 posts, read 233,420 times
You are most welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: