Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,692,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1 View Post
Then you should know better.
...than what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 11:05 AM

674 posts, read 1,453,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurooster View Post
There seems to be concensus that anything would be better than a gravel lot. So what tenant would be more ideal than Whole Foods? What other tenant would hire 150-200 people at well above minimum wage, offer locally-produced Idaho products, give back dollars to the community and be a concerned, enviromentally-sensitive neightbor?

Would you prefer a competitor to Big O Tire across the street?
Well above minimum wage? I'll see it when I believe it. I'll bet most positions are hired at less than 12/hr, with the few management and admin positions at 35-45k/yr.

Is Whole Feeds employee owned?

In regards to your other question, I'd like to see something local go in there. Granted the up front development costs for that lot would be prohibitive to anyone but a large national chain, so WF is as good as anyone.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:01 PM

14 posts, read 29,584 times
I think it is about $10/hour for entry level at WFM. Not $12, but I do consider $10 well above $7.25.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:17 PM

863 posts, read 2,982,921 times
They are not employee owned, but a large corporation. This article compares them to a Walmart business mentality. I'm all for healthy and whole food, not processed, but personally I think the whole organic thing is over hyped and grossly misunderstood. That said people seem to like them and I think more grocery shopping options in Boise is a good thing.

Whole Foods Market: What's wrong with Whole Foods?

Last edited by zoso1979; 08-04-2010 at 01:25 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 01:22 PM

14 posts, read 29,584 times
Whole Foods Market's Team Members Put Company on FORTUNE Magazine's '100 Best Companies To Work For' List for 13th Consecutuve Year

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/whole-foods-markets-team-members-put-company-on-fortune-magazines-100-best-companies-to-work-for-list-for-13th-consecutive-year-82267832.html

Old 08-04-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurooster View Post
I think it is about $10/hour for entry level at WFM. Not $12, but I do consider $10 well above $7.25.
$10.00 is alright for that type of work, I suppose, but it's certainly not a living wage, even in Boise.

--------

Winco is employee owned!

Old 08-05-2010, 09:21 AM

55 posts, read 182,685 times
I'm not sure who your friends are but as someone who makes $9.25 an hour 10-12 sounds great. That's a really good entry level wage and it is living wage in Boise. Just depends on how you live. Most entry level jobs in Boise start at $7.25.

I'm happy to have Whole Foods. I'd like to think an influx in jobs is more important than a snit about whether or not it should be local.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:33 PM

516 posts, read 374,026 times
Will the poor schlubs who work there in low paying positions be able to afford to shop there? Whole Foods is an elitist company whose products are made to make rich liberals feel better about shopping and what they eat. They've done enormous damage to small indie organic producers. They're sort of the Walmart of organic food. They may be coming to Boise but unless there are enough well to do people willing to pay their outrageous prices they will fail. I wouldn't think of shopping at one but you go ahead and welcome them.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:45 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,859,400 times
Quote:
Will the poor schlubs who work there in low paying positions be able to afford to shop there? Whole Foods is an elitist company whose products are made to make rich liberals feel better about shopping and what they eat. They've done enormous damage to small indie organic producers. They're sort of the Walmart of organic food. They may be coming to Boise but unless there are enough well to do people willing to pay their outrageous prices they will fail. I wouldn't think of shopping at one but you go ahead and welcome them.
Boise Co-Op will always be the King of organic in Boise no matter which store comes to town, but Whole Foods will do fine here, it will be a hit. There are too many people here who have moved from other cities that had a Whole Foods and they are going to support the new store in Boise. There are over 600,000 people in this valley so there are more than enough people to support this new Whole Foods. This valley could easily support a second Whole Foods out in Eagle or Meridian if that time comes.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Well, not really.

WF would be competing directly with the Boise Coop, which is extremely expensive anyway, and Albertsons, which offers an "organic" section in their market, and is expensive as well.

WF will not compete directly with Costco or Winco.

I still maintain that 10/hr is hardly a living wage in Boise. It's about enough to pay rent (not a mortgage), a car payment, insurance, and food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area