Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 08:50 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,125 times

Advertisements

I currently have a business that I can easily relocate anywhere we decide to move. As long as I have a cell phone, fax and email I am good to go. I will still be able to work with many of my current clients if we move to Boise, but I will also have to build a client base in Boise as well. What is the business climate like for an out-of-towner that markets primarily to small and medium sized companies? I have lived in Pennsylvania where it was next to impossible to get business unless your ancesters moved to the area 200 years ago and I have lived in Arizona where people don't care if you just moved here last week. What is it like in Idaho?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 08:30 AM

149 posts, read 1,097,909 times
Idaho will be more like Arizona than Pennsylvania.

The only trouble you could have would be if you were from California. SOME people like to blame everything they don't like on people from California. So, those people probably would rather do business with an Idahoan than a Californian.

There are some OTHER people who will prefer to only do business with people that are LDS. But, this would be more of an issue in eastern Idaho than in Boise.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:53 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpalace
Idaho will be more like Arizona than Pennsylvania.

The only trouble you could have would be if you were from California. SOME people like to blame everything they don't like on people from California. So, those people probably would rather do business with an Idahoan than a Californian.

Not trying to make a joke, would seriously like to know how a 'Californian' is identified? I ask because I'm from NJ and virtually everytime I've vacatinoned in the west I've been told several times that I didn't seem like someone from NJ, most seemed to think folks from NJ are more hyper and rude, I guess it was a compliment.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:08 AM

149 posts, read 1,097,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell
Not trying to make a joke, would seriously like to know how a 'Californian' is identified? I ask because I'm from NJ and virtually everytime I've vacatinoned in the west I've been told several times that I didn't seem like someone from NJ, most seemed to think folks from NJ are more hyper and rude, I guess it was a compliment.
That's a good point! You'd pretty much have to spill the beans when introducing yourself: "Hi! I just moved here from the bay area! ..."

For what it's worth, I know two people who live in NJ, and neither of them seemed hyper or rude. One of them has some "issues"... but I don't think living in NJ has anything to do with it.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:18 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpalace
That's a good point! You'd pretty much have to spill the beans when introducing yourself: "Hi! I just moved here from the bay area! ..."

For what it's worth, I know two people who live in NJ, and neither of them seemed hyper or rude. One of them has some "issues"... but I don't think living in NJ has anything to do with it.

I've always been pretty much a live and let live kinda guy so I was wondering what it is about Californians that seems to get people all het up? Or are people just opposed to growth and/or change? It's a tough problem, it's hard for most businesses to survive without growing but growth inevitably brings change and it's usually not all good.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:33 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,125 times
Thanks for the input. My ideal clients tend to be blue-collar: construction, light manufacturing, warehouses and service industries. From what I have seen on various websites it looks like Boise has a good base of these, am I correct?

Old 08-15-2006, 10:32 PM

47 posts, read 202,680 times
Default Boise

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy
Thanks for the input. My ideal clients tend to be blue-collar: construction, light manufacturing, warehouses and service industries. From what I have seen on various websites it looks like Boise has a good base of these, am I correct?
Boise has a great base of small service oriented businesses. Many people are unaware that Boise is now the 3rd largest metropolitan area in the NW right behind Seattle and Portland. Yes it's busy with alot of new industry, but if someone has a great business plan, I believe that they can compete in this market with anyone. I believe that there is more than enough business for everyone. I never wanted to do 50% of the business anyway in my industry. I can make a great living doing from 3-5% of the business in my area, so nothing but upside potential. I would also look at Mountain Home and Twin Falls as well...

Old 08-18-2006, 11:46 AM

278 posts, read 1,138,476 times
Not to bad but look out many places do not have cable or DSL internet at all and never will. Also I found people like to blame more then calif person fact they did every one from the east or west cost period. The wife was spat on and the car keyed all because she had out of state plates on it and who ever it was knew she was not visiting but lived there and had just moved to Idaho.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:23 PM

853 posts, read 968,571 times
Thumbs up I work from home...

and have high speed internet access via satellite. Initially, I chose a satellite company (Starband) that claimed to provide "high speed internet access". Not! After much research, I discovered a satellite company (Sky Vista) that provides internet only access and I am able to utilize VOIP etc. Also, communication isn't knocked out every time there's a snowflake or two (not the case when I was a Starband subscriber) - it takes a significant snow storm to cause any problems and if I lose communication, it is for a brief period of time. Most of the other satellite companies (Starband, DirectWay etc.) are not dedicated to internet exclusively and therein lies the problem.
Long story short - where I live (8+ miles outside of Coeur d'Alene) will probably never have cable TV and cable internet like I had back east, but I have found a way to successfully conduct business.
Also, my experience in Idaho has been very positive and welcoming - personally and professionally. I have not encountered any negative reaction when I willingly and openly share with those I meet that I am not originally from Idaho.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:56 PM

114 posts, read 572,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
I currently have a business that I can easily relocate anywhere we decide to move. As long as I have a cell phone, fax and email I am good to go. I will still be able to work with many of my current clients if we move to Boise, but I will also have to build a client base in Boise as well. What is the business climate like for an out-of-towner that markets primarily to small and medium sized companies? I have lived in Pennsylvania where it was next to impossible to get business unless your ancesters moved to the area 200 years ago and I have lived in Arizona where people don't care if you just moved here last week. What is it like in Idaho?
Hi - we lived in AZ 12 years and they don't care if you moved there last week because they moved there the week before.

I experienced that in Paso Robles CA - I sold computer software and it was not a computer town but we were new - they told me I'd have to be there two years before I could expect people to do business with me.

SO - I would lie. I'd say my family was there and moved away after two sons went into the military. Or, I'd say "you remember harold brown don't you. He was my uncle.

It's sometimes necessary - or you will starve. <G> Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area