U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 01:10 PM

92 posts, read 272,721 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I thought I would post about tree services and see what sage advice you have for me.

I have a few very large trees in my yard. I've been putting it off trimming them (and in one case, cutting one down completely) because I've heard that it's very expensive. My trees are about 80' to 100' high, and the one that needs to be cut down entirely always has issues in wind storms.

The problem is, I haven't heard anything good or bad about the local companies. I don't want to go with someone who is not insured or trustworthy.

Any suggestions? I've heard that I shouldn't go with Davey. That's about it. I like to go by word of mouth so it's been hard to even find a direction to go in to ask for a quote.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 01:24 PM

9,153 posts, read 7,473,893 times
I've had excellent service with Moore Tree Service. I've used them twice, and no complaints at all. Good prices, too.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:14 PM

Thanks, LillyLillyLilly!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:52 PM

9,153 posts, read 7,473,893 times
Here's a list of tree services that are licensed by the city. I think I called 4 or 5 for estimates last time, and Moore came out with the lowest rates for my project at that time. Like I said, they did a good job too.

http://www.cityofboise.org/Departmen...rvices2009.pdf

Requirements for licensing by the city:

These tree services have been approved by Boise City Community Forestry to perform work (pruning, removal etc.) on
trees on the public rights-of-way. To be licensed, each of these companies must employ at least one individual currently
certified as an arborist by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA). ISA Certified Arborists have completed an
extensive exam relating to safety, and the growth and healthy maintenance of trees. In addition, our own arborists
examine their work to help assure tree care. Finally, proof of adequate insurance (minimum $500,000) against property
damage is required prior to licensing. Community Forestry feels these requirements will help protect the trees, the
arborists and the property owner

Old 09-14-2010, 09:10 AM

Wow! I didn't know the part about one having to be a licensed arborist! Thanks for all this good info, LillyLillyLilly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Here's a list of tree services that are licensed by the city. I think I called 4 or 5 for estimates last time, and Moore came out with the lowest rates for my project at that time. Like I said, they did a good job too.

http://www.cityofboise.org/Departmen...rvices2009.pdf

Requirements for licensing by the city:

These tree services have been approved by Boise City Community Forestry to perform work (pruning, removal etc.) on
trees on the public rights-of-way. To be licensed, each of these companies must employ at least one individual currently
certified as an arborist by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA). ISA Certified Arborists have completed an
extensive exam relating to safety, and the growth and healthy maintenance of trees. In addition, our own arborists
examine their work to help assure tree care. Finally, proof of adequate insurance (minimum $500,000) against property
damage is required prior to licensing. Community Forestry feels these requirements will help protect the trees, the
arborists and the property owner

Old 09-14-2010, 04:51 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,265,618 times
Don't go with Freddy the Tree Guy. I worked for him for one day, what a dip. Unreliable and a little off kilter in the head.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:26 PM

25 posts, read 69,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
Don't go with Freddy the Tree Guy. I worked for him for one day, what a dip. Unreliable and a little off kilter in the head.

I completely agree. We had Freddy come out to do our trees and it was a total disaster! Moore is excellent, I heard--and so is Timmy's.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,506 times
Had a really good experience a few months ago with Parker Tree Service.

Good kid and he gave me good deal. His family's been at it for decades - there's even some cool black-and-white photos from like the 40's with his grandpa doing tree work... should be [URL="http://www.parkertreeservice.net"]www.parkertreeservice.net[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area