Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:54 PM

114 posts, read 288,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
Strike up a positive conversation about Boise State football, and anybody will make lots of friends in Boise.
Funny you say that. We wanted to catch a game when we visited Thanksgiving week but did not buy tickets because we were not sure we would make it there in time. We made good time so we asked some folks at the RV park if we could get tickets at the door. The employee's at the RV park we stayed at were so excited that we inquired about seeing the game that they went on Craig's list and found us tickets 1 1/2 hours before kick off. He beat them down $20 on the price and the seller delivered the tickets to us no less!!! We did enjoy the game and the energy about the fans... word had spread about how we scored last minute tickets and that we really enjoyed the game, and for the rest of the week we had about 10 people calling us by our first names and treating us like we belonged there! That led to talking about many other interests and we had a great time...how about those Bronco's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 PM

68 posts, read 170,175 times
As you know, I'm not there yet. But I think it's a factor of putting yourself out there...following up...that sort of thing.
I can easily get in my own way & lasting friendships have been tough no matter where i am. I live in a big city & my HS friends still hang out w/ old ones...in the same city. So I'm not sure small vs. big city is the issue. They are not great, fast friends however. They are Party Buddies & my kegger days are long over.
What I'm looking for is people of like minds, who enjoy a beer or bbq, who can have fun even if there is no game on & won't judge me because we're a family of heathens who don't go to church. Heehee!!
So I'm pretty sure if I move out of my own way, make sure to smile & be friendly - friends will be easy to come by. If I work at it. If we want it...we have to work for it! ;D

Old 12-28-2010, 07:23 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Went to a couple of holiday parties and met a few people that our family will pursue friendships with. What I thought was interesting is everyone at the parties we attended, not one person was a Boise native. Guess the key to making friends in Boise is to find other people who relocated here.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:32 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmaz View Post
As you know, I'm not there yet. But I think it's a factor of putting yourself out there...following up...that sort of thing.
I can easily get in my own way & lasting friendships have been tough no matter where i am. I live in a big city & my HS friends still hang out w/ old ones...in the same city. So I'm not sure small vs. big city is the issue. They are not great, fast friends however. They are Party Buddies & my kegger days are long over.
What I'm looking for is people of like minds, who enjoy a beer or bbq, who can have fun even if there is no game on & won't judge me because we're a family of heathens who don't go to church. Heehee!!
So I'm pretty sure if I move out of my own way, make sure to smile & be friendly - friends will be easy to come by. If I work at it. If we want it...we have to work for it! ;D
Out of curiousity, what neighborhoods are you considering? The right neighborhood is key, in my opinion. I've found a world of difference between the Northend and West Boise when it comes to making friends and feeling at home.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Out of curiousity, what neighborhoods are you considering? The right neighborhood is key, in my opinion. I've found a world of difference between the Northend and West Boise when it comes to making friends and feeling at home.
I realize you were not asking me, but I would appreciate your/anyone's opinion. We are looking hard at N/E Meridian (a bit tight in the subdivisions) and N/E Foothills of Boise (a bit more open and rural feeling close to town). Besides the friend topic it seems like you get more house and less tax in Meridian??? A big deciding factor will be having a great High School close...and Rocky Mountain looks and sounds really top notch from what we have seen and heard from people in that area. Thanks!!

Old 12-28-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
We're not yet...we've been pouring over real estate but need to go back a few more times to really choose. My husband like Eagle as he wants some land...
North End & W.Boise...which is which? North End or West Boise is more likely to make friends?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmaz View Post
We're not yet...we've been pouring over real estate but need to go back a few more times to really choose. My husband like Eagle as he wants some land...
North End & W.Boise...which is which? North End or West Boise is more likely to make friends?
Northend has been much easier to meet peope. To be fair, I only lived in West Boise a couple of months so my impression may not be accurate. It's just not that walkable and people seemed to stick to their routine.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclingfan View Post
I realize you were not asking me, but I would appreciate your/anyone's opinion. We are looking hard at N/E Meridian (a bit tight in the subdivisions) and N/E Foothills of Boise (a bit more open and rural feeling close to town). Besides the friend topic it seems like you get more house and less tax in Meridian??? A big deciding factor will be having a great High School close...and Rocky Mountain looks and sounds really top notch from what we have seen and heard from people in that area. Thanks!!
I don't know much about Meridian but I do know it's cheaper. Some people seem to love it and others not so much.

I love the Warm Springs area of NE Boise (however, it's expensive) but not too familiar with the foothills. I know a few people who live in Harris Ranch and seem to like it fine.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 PM

I agree with the "walkable" idea. But being a parent I too get stuck in a routine, much like the other parents I would hope to befriend. I'm guessing I'd need to get involved in the schools and PTA....I've met a lot of moms here just by getting involved in committee's.....not really something I WANTED to give my time to - but it got me out of the house!

I think making friends is about having like-interests (as Cyclingfan has mentioned) & sometimes it's just pushing yourself. Because there's NO WAY I want to trudge to stores & ask for donations for this or that school event - but I do it. I've met wonderful people doing it. So I think if the move happens I'll need to get in that frame of mind.

I don't think we even visited North End when we were there. Or maybe we were there & didn't realize it??

Old 12-29-2010, 02:16 PM

I love the Warm Springs area of NE Boise (however, it's expensive) but not too familiar with the foothills.

Expensive as in the home prices themselves, or taxes and HOA's. We want to be under 300k and 500-700/yr. HOA's...if we must endure HOA fees at all. To give you an idea of where my tolerance level is at, 300k minus the 93k exemtion at approx. 1.5 % total taxes would be acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: