Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:00 PM

278 posts, read 906,100 times

Advertisements

I always check the NOAA weather website, which allows you to click anywhere and get a (usually) pretty accurate forecast:

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 41.99°N and Longitude 117.71°W (Elev. 4438 ft)

Right now, it looks great. Highs above freezing (so there should be no ice on the highway) and with no new precipitation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 PM

21 posts, read 55,965 times
We just did this drive (Boise to Bay area on 12/21 and back on 12/30). Driving back on 12/30 was just after a storm the night before. The roads were all clear, but slow over Donner summit. The drive from Reno to Winnamucca was very easy. Roads were clear and not much traffic. 95 was also easier than we thought. The roads again were all clear. We did hit a little snow in the Jordon valley, and had to slow down with the blowing snow. Make sure you gas up in Winnamucca, as there is a 100 mile stretch with no services to Jordan.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,022 times
Can anyone tell me how the weather road conditions for this route are typically in Oct -November? When does the snow usually start? Moving from San Jose with Uhaul and car trailer.

Thanks

Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 AM

551 posts, read 803,583 times
I did that route last October and November a couple of times instead of the I-15 from So Cal to NID since the weather was better that way. The conditions were good on the 95 from Parma to Winnemucca. My brother has gone that route several times during winter towing a trailer and had no problems.

Here's a link to a couple of road cams on the 95 north of Winnemucca:

TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT

Old 01-06-2016, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,474 times
I am taking that route from Reno to Boise tonight. I'm a bit concerned with the ice that might form in the evening from the rain and snow. Last night the roads in Reno turned to ice and hwy 80 east was a bit icy. It will be late when I go through the Owyhee Mountains and would not be fun if ice is an issue. I have taken this route many times and it's usually very passable. But this time of year and at a late hour I am a bit skeptical. It would definitely be a better drive during the day. Not sure what I'm in for. The only problem I usually run into on that route is the long endless desert for 6 1/2 + hours.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:51 AM

818 posts, read 1,067,118 times
The roads in question are major roads so they typically do a good job maintaining them, but always make sure your vehicle is ready for the conditions. I would bring tire chains just in case. If you don't have them, you can go to a Les Schwab Tire store and pick up a pair and if you never use them, you can return them after April 15th for a full refund!

I am a hard core skier and am always amazed to hear people talk about needing to close schools after a little bit of snow, yet up 4,000 feet higher and 161 corners later (many without guard rails) the parking lot at Bogus Basin (our local ski area) is packed with people enjoying the fresh powder.

If you are not used to driving on snow, just go slow and steady. In the beginning of the ski season most of the wrecks I see are not pickups with no weight in the back end (because the drivers typically already know this fault), it is the big four wheel drive vehicles that think they are invincible, or young inexperienced drivers.

As you will notice on any of the mapping programs out there, that stretch through Nevada is pretty bleak on services so make sure you don't push your gas gauge on empty, etc.

My greatest concern driving through is if I have to drive between dusk and dawn and hitting a deer, and antelope or an elk. Watch for them and enjoy during the day, but be cautious of them at night!+

Hope the trip is safe and uneventful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area