Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:42 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times

Advertisements

zoso1979, you explained the same situation that a lot of cities and states are facing in the current economy.

Here is to a good year and more to come
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
Here's something that will change Boise drastically if it ever happens:
Chinese company eyes Boise | Boise, Garden City, Mountain Home | Idaho Statesman

Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclingfan View Post
I guess your dooms day senarios, along with a select few on the forum, wear me (and many others by reading posts and IM's I get regularly) down to where I long for some good news...Not trying to rang you up, but IMO it gets old fast.
Maybe his doomsday is closer to reality than you think or want to think.

Boise is in a desert. Boise has some water issues, and will have more going into the future. If you consider that doomsday and gloomy, I don't know what to tell you.

Should I also tell you Boise has air quality issues? That too doomy for you too?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:01 AM

30 posts, read 80,857 times
Do you have no burn days ? tell me about hard water ?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 AM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclingfan View Post
I guess your dooms day senarios, along with a select few on the forum, wear me (and many others by reading posts and IM's I get regularly) down to where I long for some good news...Not trying to rang you up, but IMO it gets old fast.
You're right.

Boise is perfect. It has no drought issues, no water issues, no traffic issues, no air quality issues, no user-conflict issues, no biking issues or biking related traffic incidents, and everyone welcomes newcomers with open arms and open hearts!

Best yet, the jobs here are plentiful and pay extremely well, and are pretty easy to get.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:53 PM

114 posts, read 288,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
You're right.

Boise is perfect. It has no drought issues, no water issues, no traffic issues, no air quality issues, no user-conflict issues, no biking issues or biking related traffic incidents, and everyone welcomes newcomers with open arms and open hearts!

Best yet, the jobs here are plentiful and pay extremely well, and are pretty easy to get.
I knew you would see it my way....just kidding!

I guess many of us are just tainted by REAL droughts, no water for the future, traffic, bad air, user conflict, cars violating cyclists, rude people, and jobless issues. I can respect people concerned about those issues and doing their part to to make sure they don't add to them unnecessarily, but not those whom paint a picture that they exist to the extent that quality of life in S/W Idaho is grossly impacted by them.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:33 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
Quality of life is perspective, chum.

If our quality of life were so amazing, we'd have a much larger population than we do. It's about what attracts a person to an area; in other words, IT'S PURELY SUBJECTIVE.

Most of my friends couldn't stand Idaho and they got the hell out and are living in Maui, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, and Bellingham. They contend their lives are much happier there and their quality of life is much better as well because these places offer them the things they want.

Too many posting in these forums forget that and want to paint quality of life (or other factors) as some objective thing.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
It is subjective. I think some people will be unhappy anywhere...sometimes I feel like that! Other people will defend their hometown or even perspective hometown to justify them living there or wanting to live there. I love LA AND I hate LA, I can admit that. Boise people are VERY proud and rightfully so, it is a beautiful unique community that has many qualities of both a small town and large city. But there are job issues, "people" issues, growth issues, etc.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:38 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
I do not think quality of life and the population size of any given city have very much to do with each other. This being said I feel like many do that Boise and Idaho do have a great quality of life, a lot think it is amazing, and yes it is all subjective. Many people think that the large crowded cities lack in quality of life because they are simply too large.

As a city and region grows, history has a lot more to do with the population of any given city rather than the quality of life. For instance, Boise boomed during its early history; during the gold rush, then the gold rush ended, many people left the area, many stayed, and there was the issue of getting a rail line into Boise which back then dictated growth in western cities, it took a long time for the rail spur to come to Boise because it was originally routed south of the city. Fast forward into the last few decades and Boise has as we have seen boomed again, and more is on the way, Boise will always continue to grow. All of us who live here have to make sure we hang on to the amazing quality of life we enjoy here.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:37 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by han solo View Post
Do you have no burn days ? tell me about hard water ?
We have had no burn days from time to time, though I can't remember the last time we had that in Boise in the winter.

Our water in Boise is kind of hard? I don't know--I've never lived someplace where the water isn't at least a little hard. It's the sort of thing where if your water from your sprinklers hits your windows or a car, it will leave spots behind. You can get a little mineral buildup around the bathroom and kitchen sink or in the tub. That's Boise. I can't speak for Nampa or Caldwell or Eagle or for homes with their own wells. We don't have a water softener in our home but a lot of people do.

Does that help answer your question? I feel like you've asked this in another forum and it didn't get answered. I wasn't going to weigh in, but with all the arguing about whether or not it's too pollyanna to post about how great Boise is, it seems this question has been ignored.

United Water is the main water company for Boise. I bet they have water testing results on their website.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area