U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-27-2011, 10:10 PM
 
12 posts, read 10,880 times
Reputation: 13
Default Job woes - is the end in sight?

I knew Boise was rumored to be a tough job market but wow! We are finding the job hunt even harder than expected which depresses me since we have our hearts set on moving to Boise from the Wood River Valley. and soon! Does anyone see this changing soon? We're considering moving anyways and hoping once we're down there that we can find something. It seems like the WRV - not what you know but who you know type of job market so maybe moving there would be advantageous to our searches?

Am I right in assuming the building industry has tanked in Boise like everywhere else? Hubby has had a solid 10 year stretch up here managing jobs as a journeyman electrician and now he is laid off. How about the job market for ar government employee? (yes I will give up my cush govt. job to move to Boise -that is how much I am in love with it). I have a BS in environmental science and there does not seem to be very many green or green technology jobs unless you also have an engineering degree.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2011, 12:12 AM
 
6,883 posts, read 3,591,438 times
Reputation: 12203
Quote:
Originally Posted by minikin View Post
I knew Boise was rumored to be a tough job market but wow! We are finding the job hunt even harder than expected which depresses me since we have our hearts set on moving to Boise from the Wood River Valley. and soon! Does anyone see this changing soon? We're considering moving anyways and hoping once we're down there that we can find something. It seems like the WRV - not what you know but who you know type of job market so maybe moving there would be advantageous to our searches?

Am I right in assuming the building industry has tanked in Boise like everywhere else? Hubby has had a solid 10 year stretch up here managing jobs as a journeyman electrician and now he is laid off. How about the job market for ar government employee? (yes I will give up my cush govt. job to move to Boise -that is how much I am in love with it). I have a BS in environmental science and there does not seem to be very many green or green technology jobs unless you also have an engineering degree.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Just my two cents .... DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT give up your government job to move. We have a ways to go before the job market improves. This isn't over yet and you have a means to pay your bills. Please, have patience. Things will improve but not now. Check out the job opportunities online for the area you are interested in. You better be sure that you can secure a job in the same field of expertise or you're going to be SOL.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 AM
 
12 posts, read 10,880 times
Reputation: 13
thanks hereonmars. normally we would not consider such a risky move but it seems like time is not on our side right now. We're kind of in a rock and hard place since hubby has been laid off. We were able to complete a short-sale of our house here in the WRV as to avoid foreclosure and will be closing in less than a month. Rentals here are NOT cheap and trying to live only on my salary is going to prove near impossible at the least. We are going to have to dig into savings regardless of where we move and the cheaper rents in Boise make this seem more doable.

We have been searching online and applying for everything, including less-than-ideal jobs. You mentioned things improving but not now. Are you thinking months, years??
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 08:44 AM
 
889 posts, read 1,240,239 times
Reputation: 660
Things really never improve in Boise; too few jobs, too little turnover, too much competition.

I think it will only get worse when "things get better" because more people from around the country will try to move in here.

I don't mean to be bleak, but Boise (in my opinion) has always been a place where people work down, not move up or work what they usually work.

I know for a fact construction is still hurting - I have two friends working in Twin Falls and Rexburg and having to do that weekly commute thing. However, I do know that they're hiring electricians here... my friend just got hired two months ago, though it's supposedly only for a "clean up" position and at $10/hour.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 09:03 AM
 
12 posts, read 10,880 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post

I know for a fact construction is still hurting - I have two friends working in Twin Falls and Rexburg and having to do that weekly commute thing. However, I do know that they're hiring electricians here... my friend just got hired two months ago, though it's supposedly only for a "clean up" position and at $10/hour.
they commute to Boise?!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 10:28 AM
 
889 posts, read 1,240,239 times
Reputation: 660
No, they live in Boise and commute to TF or Rexburg once a week; they usually get paid some kind of per diem to stay in a motel or camper during the week, then drive home for the weekend.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 01:07 PM
 
6,883 posts, read 3,591,438 times
Reputation: 12203
Quote:
Originally Posted by minikin View Post
thanks hereonmars. normally we would not consider such a risky move but it seems like time is not on our side right now. We're kind of in a rock and hard place since hubby has been laid off. We were able to complete a short-sale of our house here in the WRV as to avoid foreclosure and will be closing in less than a month. Rentals here are NOT cheap and trying to live only on my salary is going to prove near impossible at the least. We are going to have to dig into savings regardless of where we move and the cheaper rents in Boise make this seem more doable.

We have been searching online and applying for everything, including less-than-ideal jobs. You mentioned things improving but not now. Are you thinking months, years??

Think of yourself as a trapeze artist. You wouldn't let go of the bar with your right hand until you had your left hand on the other bar, would you?

So, you're employed but hubby is laid off? You have income but not enough that you won't have to dip into your savings? OK. I understand your frustration but how much faster will your savings run out with both of you out of work?

I get it. You love Boise. But, how attractive will Boise still look when you can't find a job and are struggling every day to live there?

You have a job right now. That's HUGE. And a job with benefits? Better yet. Think carefully about it because you can't unring the bell. I wish you all the best. Things will get better but not this year.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 07:20 PM
 
766 posts, read 1,220,046 times
Reputation: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by minikin View Post
I knew Boise was rumored to be a tough job market but wow! We are finding the job hunt even harder than expected which depresses me since we have our hearts set on moving to Boise from the Wood River Valley. and soon! Does anyone see this changing soon? We're considering moving anyways and hoping once we're down there that we can find something. It seems like the WRV - not what you know but who you know type of job market so maybe moving there would be advantageous to our searches?

Am I right in assuming the building industry has tanked in Boise like everywhere else? Hubby has had a solid 10 year stretch up here managing jobs as a journeyman electrician and now he is laid off. How about the job market for ar government employee? (yes I will give up my cush govt. job to move to Boise -that is how much I am in love with it). I have a BS in environmental science and there does not seem to be very many green or green technology jobs unless you also have an engineering degree.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
There are a few articles in the local press with business leaders and government leaders thinking it is slowly going to improve this year and catch some steam next year, the projection kind of mirrors what is being said about the national economy.

There are several large projects slated to begin construction in downtown Boise this year which will provide hundreds of construction jobs, so your hubby might have some luck. New homes are also being built around town and the amount of homes on the current market is getting smaller than last year, so there may be a slight pickup in construction.


The job market for a government employee is iffy right now because of the economy, but then Idaho isn't hurting as bad as a lot of other states that are melting down and going bankrupt and laying off thousands of state employees. Considering how bad the USA has suffered with this recession Idaho has kept above water, barely. But never say never, you could move here and find a great job. It would be selfish and conceited of me to deter you from moving here. Life is about change, taking chances, so don't feed into the doom and gloom a few people constantly spread around. I have friends who moved here back in December, in the cold of this national recession and found satisfying jobs that pay well, it is all luck.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 03:27 PM
 
130 posts, read 158,249 times
Reputation: 106
Job market in Boise is very bleak. Pay is really low compared to many parts of the country. I would not wish it on anyone to come here and simply work for someone else! We tried that and could not afford to make it here so we created our own business. We are doing just fine now. Being employed in Boise means making around 8 to 10 per hour for an decent job. 12+ per hour for mid management and up. Many applicants out there and when push comes to shove, they are willing to take less to get the job. Not fun when you have a family to support. Come with an entrepreneurial attitude and you can make it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Boise, ID
5,368 posts, read 10,259,688 times
Reputation: 4695
The problem with new construction in Boise right now is that unless you are building production style homes (CBH or Hubble or similar type), you can't build them cheap enough to make a profit unless you have a cash buyer or buyer with a large down. They appraise for less than replacement cost. In some cases, they appraise for less than actual hard cost, not counting builder profit. That is a big reason why a lot of builders are not building anything right now.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top