Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 AM

62 posts, read 161,111 times

Advertisements

hello,

wife and i are looking to move to boise idaho area, specifically eagle idaho or nearby. we once talked to a civil engineer on an airplane who, if we underestood him correctly, mentioned that the area around the rivers running through eagle would likely have a major flood or water problem at some time in the future and we should be careful as to where we purchase.

did we understand this correctly, especially in relation to, say, the "two rivers" area?

please advise if there is any history of flooding or flood insurance issues that you are aware of.

we are from the chicago area and are looking to retire in the eagle idaho area.

any insights would be appreciated.

regards,

boiseidaho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 12:30 AM

100 posts, read 232,442 times
The Boise River could be of concern to you during spring depending on where in Eagle you locate. You can go to the USGS website and do some research on the Boise River Basin for cfs (flow rate) and get some basic information. Enjoy your retirement!

Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometown Josie View Post
The Boise River could be of concern to you during spring depending on where in Eagle you locate. You can go to the USGS website and do some research on the Boise River Basin for cfs (flow rate) and get some basic information. Enjoy your retirement!

thank you for the follow up and good idea, i will check out usgs site.

also does anyone have any experience of living in the eagle area and can they remember if any houses have flooded, in say the last 20 or so years or any other memories related to the eagle area related to overflowing rivers causing problems?

many thanks for any assistance.

regards

Old 04-22-2011, 06:24 PM

993 posts, read 3,240,123 times
FEMA Flood Maps

Old 04-25-2011, 08:37 AM

64 posts, read 131,588 times
You could also Google Eagle, ID flood or Idaho flood or......and see what you find.

Just make sure your house is not at the bottom or low point of a valley.

Cheers,

Mike

Old 04-25-2011, 09:03 PM

thanks, i have done as you suggested and found some newspaper history of major boise area floods in 1936 and 1965? if i remember correctly and some water issues for some houses recently in a subdivision called the islands sp??. which is in eagle.

now would like to mostly find some actual boots on the ground experience from someone who has lived near the two rivers part of eagle, the islands, the shores, or lakemoor OR if they have friends or relatives that have lived in these areas over the last 2 - 10 years. what have they seen, what concerns, if any do they have.

many thanks for the help,

regards

Old 04-25-2011, 09:25 PM

863 posts, read 2,980,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseidaho View Post
thanks, i have done as you suggested and found some newspaper history of major boise area floods in 1936 and 1965? if i remember correctly and some water issues for some houses recently in a subdivision called the islands sp??. which is in eagle.

now would like to mostly find some actual boots on the ground experience from someone who has lived near the two rivers part of eagle, the islands, the shores, or lakemoor OR if they have friends or relatives that have lived in these areas over the last 2 - 10 years. what have they seen, what concerns, if any do they have.

many thanks for the help,

regards
I suggest that you watch the local news and newspaper sites.

KTVB.COM | Idaho News from KTVB.COM | Boise news, weather, sports, traffic & events

KIVITV.COM | Boise. Breaking News, Weather and Sports - Home - News

Boise, Idaho news, weather, traffic, jobs, classifieds | Idaho Statesman

Here's an article on the history.

Floods at Eagle Island were annual events | Idaho History | Idaho Statesman

The snowpack statewide is nearly or over 100%, we just had more snow over the weekend., and it's staying pretty cold. They just extended the ski season at Brundage Mountain (near McCall) until mid-May which is a historical FIRST.

At some point it will warm up and the show will melt. I could be wrong, but we are set-up for some serious high water/flooding concerns when it warms up, and it WILL. Stay tuned!

Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 PM

623 posts, read 1,603,609 times
I can remember residents of riverfront homes in Eagle on the news putting out sandbags to protect their property within the past five years or so. Can't remember details. If you'd like to personally connect with someone who lives in the area, send me a private message and I can introduce you with someone who lives in the area and is very knowledgeable.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:26 AM

879 posts, read 2,846,931 times
Eagle Island is by far the most flood prone developed area in the Valley. Good place to put some of the most expensive homes in the Boise Area. SE Boise gets some minor stuff sometimes but tends to be isolated to the greenbelt. The Boise Area hasn't suffered any major flooding since it's population exploded.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:25 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,922,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseidaho View Post
thank you for the follow up and good idea, i will check out usgs site.

also does anyone have any experience of living in the eagle area and can they remember if any houses have flooded, in say the last 20 or so years or any other memories related to the eagle area related to overflowing rivers causing problems?
regards
Specifically regarding the Two Rivers area the answer is yes, that area did flood within the last 10-15 years. What happens is there will be a torrential downpour that the river can't handle. Precip in the Treasure Valley is only around 11" per year but if you get a 4-5" rain, you can have problems.

I am familiar with Two Rivers and have a Chicago friend who actually lives there. It's a very nice neighborhood and the housing prices have come down back to reality. There were quite a few short sales in TR when I lived there.
If you aren't dead set on Eagle you might try the north end of Meridian between Chinden and McMillan, just west of Eagle Rd. Saguaro Canyon is a very nice subdivision and there are others in the area...and they are on high ground!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area