U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 12:14 AM

1,867 posts, read 3,850,266 times
Default Boise ID- more Liberal or Conservative?

Hello everybody!

Is Boise more of a conservative city? Has it changed much with so many people from all over moving to Boise?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 06:41 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,299,090 times
North End and the Bench would be considered liberal. In the last presidential election our neighborhood in west Boise voted 80% for McCain. Most of the people that I have met that move to Boise from California tend to be pretty conservative and are sick of living with liberal politics. A book I just read recently said that Idaho is actually getting more conservative from the people moving here.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:59 AM

853 posts, read 1,141,589 times
It depends on where you come from.

I would say, overall, Boise itself is moderate with some slightly liberal leanings. But whatever liberalism you find in Boise is tempered by the conservatism of the state, which shapes a lot of policy. Also, most of the surrounding towns are a bit more conservative, especially in Canyon County, which is a bit like the Bible Belt of the south.

I think as you get more rural, especially in northern Idaho, you get a bit more libertarian than you do C or L. Unfortunately, a lot of the libertarianism associates itself with Republicanism, which can often be antithesis to both libertarianism and conservatism.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:54 PM

2,669 posts, read 5,428,661 times
Also, I think you'll find that the "liberal leaning" in Idaho run to the "blue dog" end of the spectrum and do tend to still be fairly fiscally conservative and socially liberal (not quite libertarian, but shades of it). Walt Minnick, who was displaced in the 2010 election in Idaho's 1st congressional district, was very likely the MOST conservative-leaning democrat in the entire house of representatives...sort of like some southern dixie-crats who are pretty conservative, while still being on the democratic ticket.

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***

Old 05-19-2011, 02:03 PM

114 posts, read 135,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
north end and the bench would be considered liberal. In the last presidential election our neighborhood in west boise voted 80% for mccain. Most of the people that i have met that move to boise from california tend to be pretty conservative and are sick of living with liberal politics. A book i just read recently said that idaho is actually getting more conservative from the people moving here.

awesome !!!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:15 PM

520 posts, read 537,615 times
While Idaho and Ada County have become more conservative, Boise has become more liberal over the past ten years or so. For the first time in recent history, all major voting districts within Boise elected democrats for both the Idaho house and senate in 2006 and that has held since (though 2010 shows a slight shift back to the right in some areas). This blog has an interesting graph: interstices: Election Ennui: *Boise Democrats Don

Old 05-24-2011, 07:18 AM

To give the local Democrats credit, they do a much better job of "get out the vote" campaigns in districts and races that they think they can win. Boise may have a Democrat as mayor, but from what I can see it is a ceremonial position and I can't even recall the election that put him in. Now that the 2010 census is in, the state legislature will probably get more Republican when they re-district.

So unless you live in the North End or the Bench neighborhoods Boise will seem fairly conservative.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 AM

674 posts, read 636,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
To give the local Democrats credit, they do a much better job of "get out the vote" campaigns in districts and races that they think they can win. Boise may have a Democrat as mayor, but from what I can see it is a ceremonial position and I can't even recall the election that put him in. Now that the 2010 census is in, the state legislature will probably get more Republican when they re-district.

So unless you live in the North End or the Bench neighborhoods Boise will seem fairly conservative.
What?

Beiter has been around for some time and demolished somewhat popular Republican candidates Winder and Tibbs in 03 and 07.

Boise will seem conservative to those coming from the coasts. It will seem moderate to slightly left or right to anyone else, in my opinion, and depending on where you are. The further west you go, the more conservative it gets, especially as you get into Meridian and Nampa.

I don't really feel local politics that much. Boise has a very independent, laissez faire attitude... slightly green, slightly progressive, but never confronting really. We have decent green initiatives, open and public space programs, and we try for public transportation. The need for overtly right or left politics just hasn't surfaced.

But you do feel Idaho politics, which is indeed strongly Republican (and not necessarily conservative or libertarian). The R's make some really strange policy choices, mostly pandering to the R brand however they can (religious, fiscal, small town, whatever). But it never seems genuinely conservative, or genuinely libertarian. I'm not saying whether that is good or bad; but that just seems to be the way it is.

And Boise, like every other town in Idaho, has to live within this political atmosphere.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
What?

Beiter has been around for some time and demolished somewhat popular Republican candidates Winder and Tibbs in 03 and 07.

Boise will seem conservative to those coming from the coasts. It will seem moderate to slightly left or right to anyone else, in my opinion, and depending on where you are. The further west you go, the more conservative it gets, especially as you get into Meridian and Nampa.

I don't really feel local politics that much. Boise has a very independent, laissez faire attitude... slightly green, slightly progressive, but never confronting really. We have decent green initiatives, open and public space programs, and we try for public transportation. The need for overtly right or left politics just hasn't surfaced.

But you do feel Idaho politics, which is indeed strongly Republican (and not necessarily conservative or libertarian). The R's make some really strange policy choices, mostly pandering to the R brand however they can (religious, fiscal, small town, whatever). But it never seems genuinely conservative, or genuinely libertarian. I'm not saying whether that is good or bad; but that just seems to be the way it is.

And Boise, like every other town in Idaho, has to live within this political atmosphere.
The last mayoral election was met with yawns in my neighborhood. I bet if you asked people on my street who the mayor is most would not know. Local politics is never discussed around the water cooler around either.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:19 PM

2,669 posts, read 4,203,058 times
The city of Boise is pretty mainstream Democrat. Not San Francisco progressive, but definitely not conservative by any stretch of the imagination. Look at all of the state legislators and Mayor/City Council of Boise. But County and State politics run the show and are very, very conservative. They don't let Boise forget that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area