Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:43 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,364 times

Advertisements

The housed photographed (below) are in Dupont, Washington. I'm an architectural historian and I'm desperate to figure out where I've seen this model of house before, because if I can figure THAT out, it'll help me solve some other mysteries.

I know I've seen it before (in addition to Dupont, Washington) and I'm 97% sure I saw it in Boise, Idaho.

The house was most likely built in the 1910s sometime or maybe in the very early 1920s.

Dupont, Washington was named for Dupont (which built a factory there before WW1). Dupont built several of these houses in Dupont, Washington, and I know I've seen this house before - and I *think* I saw it before in Boise.

So, have you seen this very distinctive house anywhere in Boise? If so, could you give me an address so I could find it on google?

Thanks so much for any and all help.

And Please notice that this is not just another bungalow. This house has very distinctive details around the eaves and the front porch has massive eave brackets. Also notice the details around the porch railings.

These photos (below) are all of the same model but with some variations (such as different dormers), and these houses have had some changes through the years, but that massive oversized eave on the front is one feature that has not been altered in any of these photos.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer. I'm in Norfolk, VA so I'm a long way from Boise, but I've been there several times and I *think* that's where I saw these houses.

Rosemary Thornton

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 04:00 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post

And Please notice that this is not just another bungalow. This house has very distinctive details around the eaves and the front porch has massive eave brackets. Also notice the details around the porch railings.

These photos (below) are all of the same model but with some variations (such as different dormers), and these houses have had some changes through the years, but that massive oversized eave on the front is one feature that has not been altered in any of these photos.
There are several similar styles in Boise's old neighborhoods, but I am not sure about the details I have quoted from your post.

Here is a link to Preservation Idaho, if you contact them they should be able to help. They have several tours of historic architecture, both homes and commercial buildings in Boise each year.
Preservation Idaho
Contact Us
Preservation Idaho
The Idaho Historic Preservation Council

P.O. Box 1495
Boise, Idaho 83701-1495

tel: (208) 424-5111
fax: (208) 441-2842

Old 05-19-2011, 04:47 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
I flipped through a couple hundred MLS listings in Boise built between 1910 and 1930 and didn't see any that looked just like those.

I found one that looks somewhat similar at 1019 9th St, but it doesn't look quite right.

I found another one that is again, somewhat similar, but not quite right at 1119 21st

And another at 2223 Ellis, also not quite right.

All of these have the right general shape, but not the details. That doesn't mean there aren't any, but I didn't see any that had sold in the last 4 years.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:48 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the fast reply.

I'm still hoping some Boise people will see this and respond.

I've already contacted those folks (thanks to the link you provided) and in the past, I've found that historical societies are often under-staffed and under-funded and it can take WEEKS to hear back from them.

So...

If anyone in Boise recognizes the house above, I sure would be grateful to hear from you.

Thanks.

Rose

Old 05-21-2011, 03:55 AM

58 posts, read 194,057 times
Aren't these what they call "craftsman" style houses?????? I love the details, too!!!

Old 05-22-2011, 10:58 AM

139 posts, read 384,636 times
Believe it or not, those homes look like the homes you could order through the SEARS catalog. They were very popular in the mid-west from the 30's to the 50's.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:20 PM

I know a little something about Sears Homes (wink, wink) and these are not Sears Homes. Google me for a little more info.

Rosemary Thornton

Old 05-23-2011, 01:43 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
I mapquested the intersection of Brandywine and Forcite Ave.. It came up with a map from DuPont, Wash. Coincidence? maybe

Old 05-23-2011, 09:40 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,610 times
OK, first, RosemaryT, I have to say that you have the coolest job ever. I adore old houses and their histories and wish I could get a little further in the early history of our 1930's Art Moderne. It's such an anomoly--two story, flat-roofed, white stucco with curved walls and glass block right in the middle of a traditional 1940's neighborhood. Local rumors were that it was once a hospital, but we're almost certain this neighborhood lore arose because the original owner was a doctor and as years passed nobody had a better explanation for the architectural style.

Anyways, I digress... I can think of a couple of houses in the north end that may have the same details as you've shared. I'll do some sleuthing as I'm working in the north end and post back if I see homes with this detail.

Are you guessing this was a particular architect and this signature mark on the homes?

What a great post to this forum! I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:55 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
I mapquested the intersection of Brandywine and Forcite Ave.. It came up with a map from DuPont, Wash. Coincidence? maybe
Sorry..i reread your first post and misunderstood it the first time.. Now I feel like a little smart ass haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area