Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:44 AM

58 posts, read 194,057 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of moving soon and have two vehicles. My cousin was going to help me by driving my one car to Boise for me. Today, my Aunt fell and broke her hip, so my cousin can no longer help me.

Anyone know of someone who would be willing to drive a car from Los Angeles to Boise, if I pay for gas, and the plane ticket to come down and get the car??? I could even pay for a night in a motel if needed.

I am desperate to get my car up there, and the movers want over $1,000. to get it up there. I do not have the money to spend to have it done by the movers..............anyone got any ideas?????????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:36 AM

804 posts, read 2,892,277 times
I am not saying it is this situation but I can see something like this..

Traffic stop:
Honest Officer I was asked on the internet by a guy to drive his car from LA to Boise all expenses paid, I had not idea there was drugs hidden in car.

I do not think I would trust just anyone to go down and get your car like that. Factor in you are going to have to pay a couple hundred for a airfare, and who is to say the person doesnt just split once they get to LA. Gas for 900 miles at say average of 4 a gallon and we will assume at speed your car gets 25 mpg is 150 roughly for gas then another 200 for food and incidentals plus a nights motel stay of say 100. You are looking at atleast $650 out of pocket expenses with not guarantees the person will show up with your car and no guarantees they will not harm your vehicle on the way up. I would seriously rethink your request.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:50 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,334 times
There are companies that deal with providing for such requests......i'd look to find a reputable company (or a friend) to do this. like fearnofish said, it might be risky to just let any joe schmoe do this...

Old 05-23-2011, 09:06 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
How about parking your car at your cousin's place, or in a long term parking facility, and then when your aunt's situation is resolved, hopefully by her getting her mobility back, then your cousin can drive your car to Boise and get a vacation out of it. Of course that only works if you don't need the car right away. And if your cousin just can't go, then fly back yourself in a few months and pick it up.

If you are really desperate you could post your request in the L.A. Forum, specifying that you're offering the job to a college student who is going home to Boise for the summer and is in need of transportation, but you'd have to do some serious screening! If you can find someone whose family lives in Boise, who has no car and was going to spend money on a one-way ticket, then you've got a great solution to your problem.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:48 PM

805 posts, read 2,000,984 times
What time frame are you attempting to get this accomplished? I agree with the above posters, that it is something that needs to be taken care of very cautiously if you do decide to go via a private party raher than a company.

Shoot me a pm if you are really looking for some assistance, maybe we can discuss/figure something out. I think you should provide some more specifics as well though, how old/what condition is the vehicle etc.

I'm active duty military and in the past few years have driven all over the country AZ to TX, then up to Northern Cal, then to Boise, down to phoenix and back up to Boise. So road trips are nothing foreign to me!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:59 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,328 times
sure, i can't do it until June though.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:43 PM

51 posts, read 57,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
I am not saying it is this situation but I can see something like this..

Traffic stop:
Honest Officer I was asked on the internet by a guy to drive his car from LA to Boise all expenses paid, I had not idea there was drugs hidden in car.

I do not think I would trust just anyone to go down and get your car like that. Factor in you are going to have to pay a couple hundred for a airfare, and who is to say the person doesnt just split once they get to LA. Gas for 900 miles at say average of 4 a gallon and we will assume at speed your car gets 25 mpg is 150 roughly for gas then another 200 for food and incidentals plus a nights motel stay of say 100. You are looking at atleast $650 out of pocket expenses with not guarantees the person will show up with your car and no guarantees they will not harm your vehicle on the way up. I would seriously rethink your request.
can you please be my guardian angel, you are wise. You could save me much trouble in my day to day living.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:44 PM

ok, why don't YOU fly out to Ca (after you get to Boise) and then drive her back.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
sure, i can't do it until June though.
don't do it...there are risks. like the other poster said.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:47 PM

I would think she should pay the person to compensate them. Just paying gas/hotel is not enough. There has to be a compensation, this is like a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area