Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,576 times

Advertisements

One of the reasons we moved here about a year ago was because it is more conservative. Our research showed that conservative areas have less crime than liberal areas.

Our 1985ish neighborhood is quiet and everyone is quite pleasant, friendly, and courteous. Boise is VERY easy to navigate by car or bike. In our West Boise area we see no hint of gangs or associated graffiti. The kids and adults for the most part are dressed modestly/conservatively. We were warned by several people (2 Real Estate agents and a city bus office agent) to not consider moving to the Garden City, Nampa, and Caldwell areas due to gangs and crime.

We are not LDS, but have found the LDS folk to be very pleasant. We have visited several Protestant churches and find they are like everywhere else - some good (in our opinion) and some bad.

I have lived in many areas but have found Boise to be the most enjoyable. (For comparison I've lived in Phoenix, San Luis Obispo, San Jose, Santa Rosa, South Seattle, Eastern Washington, Salt Lake City, Germany, Memphis, North central Arkansas, and Bigfork Montana.)

We like the closeness of the mountains, desert, and the 2 large reservoirs that are just outside Boise in the country.

The freeway is never congested - compared to non-rush-hour traffic in places like Seattle.

We LOVE that we moved here last Fall.

The only negative would be the less than adequate city bus system. Yet - at least there is a city bus system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 AM

85 posts, read 294,339 times
Default Good post

THANK YOU for posting. Yes we conservatives like the fact that Idaho gives one of the largest majority votes for conservatives....from President on down!! Different strokes...for sure. If you want to put up a re-elect Obama sign, its cool. Go for it. Then hide and watch what majority of Idaho people do---by a huge majority !!
BUT there are plenty of Idahoans who like the fact that it is a conservative state, politically. I have never had anything but praise on how the Mormon folks raise their families.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times
Do you think that will change in time though? Especially with so many relocating to ID from Liberal California?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball6 View Post
THANK YOU for posting. Yes we conservatives like the fact that Idaho gives one of the largest majority votes for conservatives....from President on down!! Different strokes...for sure. If you want to put up a re-elect Obama sign, its cool. Go for it. Then hide and watch what majority of Idaho people do---by a huge majority !!
BUT there are plenty of Idahoans who like the fact that it is a conservative state, politically. I have never had anything but praise on how the Mormon folks raise their families.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:22 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Do you think that will change in time though? Especially with so many relocating to ID from Liberal California?
Boise is more moderate than rural Idaho and the majority of transplants from "liberal" California are conservative.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:23 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
I've read two books within the past year that says the demographic trend right now is for people to move to areas with similar beliefs. So liberals are flocking to places like Madison WI, the coasts and conservatives are migrating to places like Idaho, Utah and Texas. In one of the books that I read, many of the locals around Idaho stated that the state is much more conservative now than it was 20 years ago, primarily from California transplants. Especially true in northern Idaho, guess it attracts many retired cops from southern California.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:04 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Especially true in northern Idaho, guess it attracts many retired cops from southern California.
That's very true, as I had a cousin who's retired LAPD who almost ended up living there. What always puzzled me was how the wimpy southern Californians could adjust to a climate with a real winter ?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:52 AM

674 posts, read 1,458,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I've read two books within the past year that says the demographic trend right now is for people to move to areas with similar beliefs. So liberals are flocking to places like Madison WI, the coasts and conservatives are migrating to places like Idaho, Utah and Texas. In one of the books that I read, many of the locals around Idaho stated that the state is much more conservative now than it was 20 years ago, primarily from California transplants. Especially true in northern Idaho, guess it attracts many retired cops from southern California.
I'm not sure if it is more "conservative" per se, because the dynamics of politics have also changed in these last 20 years (politics have become more fractured and polemic). Idaho is certainly more "red" than 20-30 years ago, when we had a great legacy of strong Democratic governors and politicians (Andrus and Church being the prime examples).

Old 07-20-2011, 04:16 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
That's very true, as I had a cousin who's retired LAPD who almost ended up living there. What always puzzled me was how the wimpy southern Californians could adjust to a climate with a real winter ?
Ah...but you're forgetting that extreme heat is just as difficult as extreme cold. Pushing a radio car around East LA during 105-108 temps and standing/walking/running constantly while wearing a ballistic vest is just miserable. Most auto AC units don't run at full strength at low RPM, and since we always had the windows down, you never got real relief from the heat even inside the patrol car unless you could park somewhere in the shade.

So "wimpy" may be a term you could use for someone who always lives in a ver moderate climate...but putting up with extreme extended heat waves is just as difficult as putting up with extreme cold and long winters...only difference is in North Idaho I can put on layers to stay warm...but even in SoCal they frown on police officers working in the nude to stay cool.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:07 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
I guess I never took notice all the retired city cops at the time, but in hindsight there were quite a few. It's probably common in a lot of areas that offer a quieter lifestyle.

The "real winter" isn't what bothers most people, at least from my experience when I lived in that area. It's more so the lack of sun and the seemingly endless short and cloudy days between November and March. From my experience, for what it's worth since I've never lived in SoCal, is to embrace winter recreation to its fullest and also plan your vacation to a warm spot in February. A week in the sun makes a huge difference. With that said, yeah, some people are just wimps or not built for it. It's not for everyone. Boise is a much milder climate but the cabin fever still kicks in as winter drags on.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:17 AM

405 posts, read 1,280,371 times
You think Idaho winter's are bad, try an Oregon winter, it last 8 months... Endless clouds and drizzle. Not to mention every other winter, we get crazy freak snow storms and will get large amounts of snow. Of course, the winters are nothing like northern Idaho or NE Washington, but the longevity of the winters is what attacks the mind like Chinese water torture. Anyhow, all this crappy weather hasn't kept the Californians out. Idaho maybe gets the Conservative California transplants, Oregon gets the most liberal and freakish of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area