Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 05:30 PM

164 posts, read 313,943 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a 2 acre lot off of Pierce Park on Sage Glenn Ct. Does anyone have an opinion on this area?

We plan on building on the lot in the future but for now we would just buy the land and pay it off quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 09:57 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,772,988 times
Exclamation Hmmmmmmm.....

I think that if you're going to ask this question, for folks to give you a good answer, it takes knowing alot more info than you've given in this particular post/thread. I had to take a peek at a past thread of yours (link below) to get an inkling of how to respond. Please take this FWIW -

With the real estate market the way that it is in Boise and surrounding cities, I strongly believe that you would be better off financially in the long run renting until you found the best location for your wife and family. Believe me, you'll thank me later if you do !

Buying a lot to build on in the future is a waste of money in this market (imho). There are so many deals to be had on resales that you can find something very close to what you want and then spend some extra money making it exactly what you want without having to build from scratch. The lot price will probably decrease in price before you move here and then you'll have a lot that is probably much more expensive to build on than to buy something at that time.

I somewhat know that area that you're interested in, but since I don't know anyone living up there, I don't know what issues they have besides wildlife (sometimes cougars), fire dangers, and possibly road maintenance when there's snow. I do love the lower area around Hill Rd and Pierce Park. It is gorgeous and one of my favorite places other than Eagle. In Eagle I like areas close to Hwy 55, mainly north of Floating Feather and Beacon Light Rd and not too far west of Eagle Rd (due to cattle smell).

Good luck and best wishes whatever you decide!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/20256055-post1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemedic View Post
I am looking at a 2 acre lot off of Pierce Park on Sage Glenn Ct. Does anyone have an opinion on this area?

We plan on building on the lot in the future but for now we would just buy the land and pay it off quickly.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:19 AM

HDL, thank you for the thoughtful post! I'm not sure what knowing more about my situation does to help someone express the pros and cons of this area but I will share more, to see if that helps...

I am in the Air Force; I have been for the last 22 years. A portion of that time was spend right there in Boise, where I lived for three years. I am currently stationed in Alabama with my wife and 16 month old son. In 3 to 5 years I plan to retire and move back to Boise.

I am looking for a good deal on a piece of property with no CC&Rs. I want to be very near the city but not in the city. An ideal location for me would be on a secluded wooded lot off the beaten track, but my wife would like to be relatively near the mall/shopping.

This property is located 2.6 miles off of State St. and has power, phone, a new well, and a paved street access, and has no CC&Rs, nearly ideal and the price is likely scraping at the bottom of its range. Your statement that values are likely to go down more is possible but I'm guessing that prices will likely go up from this point and not down. I would be able to pay this property off prior to retirement, which is my goal. My plan would be to purchase and pay off this project incrementally, so that each portion is complete and paid for prior to moving to the next step. (Property, foundation, dry-in, etc.)

If I were to purchase this property and decide to sell it in the future, I view it as a possible investment, not with the chance of gaining too much value but with the likelihood that I don't really lose.

Those are my thoughts, and this post was to inquire about this area. Why wouldn't I want to live in this area? Why would I not want to live in this area?

Old 09-02-2011, 01:09 PM

674 posts, read 1,454,287 times
I would check on the CC&R's thing. Property in or adjacent to the foothills are usually buried in regulations (most are zoning related), for good reason. Don't buy there thinking you can do whatever you want or build whatever you want. That's not the case at all.

I also wouldn't view anything in this valley as an investment for a long, long time.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:37 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,394,250 times
I found the listings I assume you are talking about. Personally, I think that is a great price on a 2 acre lot up there, especially with a paved street poured.

We managed a rental on a nearby street a few years until the owner sold it (I don't want to say which house, but you can probably see it from your lot). Problems we had up there were forest fire management, road conditions were questionable (sometimes our tenants couldn't drive up to their house without a 4 wheel drive, but it doesn't have a paved road up to it), trash service was inconvenient, and they had a lot of pump problems. It also had propane heat, which is expensive, and I don't know if Intermountain gas has lines up there or not.

One other thing to be aware of is that the county will tax you on the whole 2 acres, even if most of it is unfinished, unbuildable hillside.

One more thing is that while lot costs are very low, construction costs are very high in town right now. We are trying to build a house for my sister, and every single bid is coming in way over our estimate. My parents are the builders, so they are building it for her at cost, and they are STILL having trouble coming in with cost under what the finished product will appraise for.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:53 PM

Thank you Lacerta!

What Forest Fire Management issues did you have? Actual fires?

Old 09-03-2011, 05:06 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,394,250 times
There was one actual fire last year up there. I haven't been up there lately, so I don't know if the burned area is still visible, but it was just on the other side of the road from there. I think it was caused from a car fire, but it spread, and turned into a bit of a hazard (75 total acres burned). Fortunately, it was quickly contained.

Other than that, the owner took care of whatever preventative maintenance had to be done for fire prevention, so I don't know the details, but I'm pretty sure that some preventative maintenance is required on the undeveloped ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area