Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,459,727 times

Advertisements

My family hails from Boise (home steaded in the area) and I lived there for a couple of years and visit fairly regularly.
Boise is great, but this thread is about what is wrong w/Boise so here goes:

1) Urban Sprawl-It is unreal-the lack of planning is shocking. The sprawl is pretty constant all the way to Napa. Traffic is bad as well.

2) Most ignore the wonderful downtown area for the chain eateries/bars (happens every where I suppose)

3) Hot-Hot-Hot in the summer! 90-100 for weeks at a time-with poor air quality

4)Very provincial for the largest town/state capitol-lacks a certain vibe for those outside of the box. The new downtown helps a lot-but a new Portland?-ha\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 05:14 PM

222 posts, read 859,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
^^ You just said Vancouver has a population of 2 million. Boise has 600k, we don't have the tax base to support a train, everyone will go broke.
Actually, Boise has a population of around 201K although the entire Treasure Valley is 635K.

According to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
The Boise City-Nampa, ID Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) (commonly known as the Boise Metropolitan Area or the Treasure Valley) is a region in southwestern Idaho which officially includes Ada, Boise, Canyon, Gem and Owyhee Counties. It includes Idaho's three largest cities, Boise, Nampa and Meridian. It is the state's largest officially designated metropolitan area.

BTW, am originally from West Vancouver, BC. Vancouver itself has around 600K while the Vancouver Metro Area has 2.1M or so.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:28 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,866,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbler View Post
Actually, Boise has a population of around 201K although the entire Treasure Valley is 635K.

According to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
The Boise City-Nampa, ID Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) (commonly known as the Boise Metropolitan Area or the Treasure Valley) is a region in southwestern Idaho which officially includes Ada, Boise, Canyon, Gem and Owyhee Counties. It includes Idaho's three largest cities, Boise, Nampa and Meridian. It is the state's largest officially designated metropolitan area.

BTW, am originally from West Vancouver, BC. Vancouver itself has around 600K while the Vancouver Metro Area has 2.1M or so.
I was talking in terms of metro.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:11 PM

19 posts, read 154,977 times
Worst thing about Boise? Take a trip to a local Walmart on any given night and take a look at some of the locals....talk about living up to hick stereotypes! Larry the Cable Guy would have a heyday here. But, it keeps things interesting....and we're getting better about fashion and those types of things. That being said, I love Boise!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:17 PM

Hopefully no one guages a city on their Wal-mart. But it does make for good people watching, what with gummy Joe and all.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:47 PM

19 posts, read 154,977 times
True enough JfB about most Walmarts being good for 'interesting' people watching. Now, the Western Idaho Fair....so rarely do so many 'interesting' Idaho folks come out of the woodwork. I'm from a hick-town myself, so I don't feel guilty about my comments here....these are my people.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:34 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,859,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aratay View Post
True enough JfB about most Walmarts being good for 'interesting' people watching. Now, the Western Idaho Fair....so rarely do so many 'interesting' Idaho folks come out of the woodwork. I'm from a hick-town myself, so I don't feel guilty about my comments here....these are my people.
Go to to any State Fair in any state and you will see plenty of "interesting people". Also go to any Walmart in any city and you will also see plenty of those people you mention, especially at Walmarts in Seattle. Boise probably has less Walmarts than other similar sized cities. I can think of only 1 in Boise city limits and 1 in Garden City. Target and Fred Meyer are the big players around here.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aratay View Post
I'd quit going to the fair if it was any other way.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,784,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal Attack View Post
One thing about Boise is that the traffic is really, really bad. Other than that it is the best kept secret in the west.
LOL.. sorry.. I just stumbled into this thread because I'm loving reading up on Boise. Such a great looking city that we know extremely little about here in Atlanta where I live.

As far a traffic though - hey, come visit US sometime...

NOW does yours seem bad?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:01 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,196,431 times
LOL! That's great Greg! Exactly my sentiments. Boise's traffic is hardly a problem. Now you on the other hand have a legitimate thing to whine about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area