Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 10:09 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times

Advertisements

Go to a Walmart in any sized city, even Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, NYC, and you will see what is considered hick, trash, punk, ghetto, from a broad spectrum of ethnicities. I find it interesting that there are only two Walmarts in Boise and one of those is technically Garden City--the other is on the western extremeties of the city. So......most people I see on a daily basis in the inner city--downtown boise, east boise, the foothills, inner bench area probably don't shop at Walmart. Why would they...there are some nice, clean Fred Meyers and many clean Albertsons scattered around the city and the discount chains are tossed to the boundaries of the city.
Most people I know don't step foot in a Walmart. I live near downtown Boise and I often times forget that Walmart exists...you will not see Northenders sporting a new Walmart wardrobe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 11:09 AM

9 posts, read 24,496 times
The traffic is pretty bad because the freeways aren't accesable enough to certain parts of town, but I would put this a close second to poor weather forecasting... they always get it wrong!

Old 08-09-2009, 01:18 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
What about race relations? Considering Boise for locale and scenery, but wondering about social aspects.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:41 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
What about race relations? Considering Boise for locale and scenery, but wondering about social aspects.
Other then the football and basketball players at BSU, their aren't many blacks in Boise.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:16 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
People here though are less racist than people I've met that come from areas like the South and California and back East. It has something to do with having such a large amount of whites that people haven't had a chance to build up stereotypes in places that are more diverse get. Here everyone gets the benefit of the doubt.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:48 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
People here though are less racist than people I've met that come from areas like the South and California and back East. It has something to do with having such a large amount of whites that people haven't had a chance to build up stereotypes in places that are more diverse get. Here everyone gets the benefit of the doubt.
Disagree. Most Idahoans I know tend to be subversively racist, though perhaps in an innocuous way (insomuch as racism can be innocuous). What I mean by that is they won't overtly act or get in someone's face, but they tend to blame all of the world's woes on some minority group, or they'll tell racist jokes, that type of thing.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Other then the football and basketball players at BSU, there aren't many blacks in Boise.

Got ya

Old 08-09-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Disagree. Most Idahoans I know tend to be subversively racist, though perhaps in an innocuous way (insomuch as racism can be innocuous). What I mean by that is they won't overtly act or get in someone's face, but they tend to blame all of the world's woes on some minority group, or they'll tell racist jokes, that type of thing.
Thanks for handing out fact, rather than fiction. It is refreshing.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:26 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,481 times
I will say this: the minority experience in Boise really depends on your age, temperament, and adaptability.

People tend to prefer to be in places where they are similar to other people - in how they look, culturally, religiously, politically, or a mix of other things. Other people don't mind, or thrive in places where they are very much an outsider.

In Boise, as a minority, you will be an outsider, at least in how you look. If this doesn't bother you, and you're a social, adaptable person, you can and will thrive in Boise. I play basketball at the Boise State rec center, and in talking with many of the students there (many of whom are minorities and/or come from out of state), some adapt and some do not. Those that adapt tend to make a lot of friends, and those that don't tend to hang with a smaller group and sort of wait out their time here (not that they hate it, but they just prefer home to here).

So either way you'll likely find friends and possibly enjoy your time here. But it is very conservative and very white, culturally - if you know what that means.

One of my favorite stories comes from a young man from Georgia, who was black. His shock being here wasn't that he was stared at, or ignored, insulted, and anything like that. Rather, he was blown away at how isolated and stand-offish everyone was. Walking down the street people ignored him, and at first he thought it was a racial thing, until he was here long enough he found out it was just a Boise thing - people tend to keep to themselves.

I hear the downtown scene is different, if just because it's so small that after a few weeks everyone knows each other. But I wouldn't know about that, as I'm much too old for that scene.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:29 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Thanks for handing out fact, rather than fiction. It is refreshing.
Not meaning to start an argument, but what made you conclude that statement #2 is fact and statement #1 is fiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Other then the football and basketball players at BSU, their aren't many blacks in Boise.
This actually is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area