U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2011, 10:51 AM

30 posts, read 46,006 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We're looking at a house that has flood irrigation on the back part of the property (front part is sprinklers).
Through the neighborhood there are canals that run along the side and / or back of the properties.

We've seen some metal plates that slide up and down in the canals that would block, or allow, the passage of water to direct it around the different splits.

The thing is, it looks like all these "plates" are on one person's property and we didn't see any combination that would allow the water to flood the property we're looking at.
It's obviously being irrigated as the grass is a solid green.

How does this work,
  • Is one person responsible for directing the water? (doesn't seem likely)
  • Does someone from some service come and direct the water to the different properties?
  • Should there be some way, on the idividual properties, that would allow the property owner to control the flooding?
    This seems most likely, but didn't see any way to do so on this property.
We understand the CONCEPT of flood irrigation, but this is all new to us so we're not sure how it's controlled.

Thanks for any info!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 11:44 AM

35 posts, read 57,184 times
In my neighborhood, each lot has a certain time period that was set up years ago - so some people are stuck with the middle of the night.

Each household is responsible for their own irrigation.

I have irrigated fields that do not have headgates with the slide in tin using plastic dams. They are basically a plastic tarp with a pocket sewn in the top that a board or pipe is inserted into. The structural part spans across the ditch and the tarp section is jammed into the mud of the ditch bottom and sides with the point of a shovel (careful not to push hard enough to cut the tarp). I would put clumps of dirt or sod on the tarp on the edges that stay out of the water. I used to buy new damns at D & B supply. Depending on the ditch size, I have also used the top of a steel drum in the ditch to divert the water.

Other areas may have different rules.

We raised hay on one field that we could get the water whenever we wanted- we just had to let the other farmer know we were taking the water and when we would be done with it.

The best thing is to talk to the neighbors to learn the neighborhood rules on the water. Many hard feelings have arisen from someone new taking the water whenever they wanted.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:57 PM

30 posts, read 46,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alp-Nub View Post
The best thing is to talk to the neighbors to learn the neighborhood rules on the water. Many hard feelings have arisen from someone new taking the water whenever they wanted.
*gasp* You mean you're suggesting I actually talk to my neighbors??

Haha.. just kidding, that is all great info and thank you so much.
As we progress with the house I was planning on going around and introducing myself to the neighbors anyway.. so that might be a good time to find out how it's handeled.

Thanks again, it's much appreciated!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:43 PM

100 posts, read 120,500 times
Along with your neighbors, the local irrigation district and your recorded water right (deed and Idaho Water Resources) should arm you with the info you need. My area has a ditch boards (directors) and, sometimes, a ditchrider (an employee who helps operate the ditch and directs maintenance). Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area