U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 01:22 PM

89 posts, read 226,864 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I see from alot of posts that people steer you away from Nampa...I was wondering why?
I see alot of really nice rentals of townhomes, condos in Nampa and they don't look too bad....what am I NOT seeing?

Thanks all....looking to move by Summer 2012....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 01:25 PM

84 posts, read 233,672 times
I talked with the Nampa police and they indicated that there is gang activity in downtown Nampa. The whole town is not effected and I asked the policeman about 3 addresses that I was looking at. He told me about each neighborhood and then told me which one was best.

We are also looking to move in July 2012. I think I am going to love living in Idaho. We visited briefly this summer and we are going back in March to scout around.

Last edited by roseville lover; 10-20-2011 at 01:35 PM..

Old 10-20-2011, 02:11 PM

424 posts, read 1,211,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbasmommy View Post
Hi all,

I see from alot of posts that people steer you away from Nampa...I was wondering why?
I see alot of really nice rentals of townhomes, condos in Nampa and they don't look too bad....what am I NOT seeing?

Thanks all....looking to move by Summer 2012....
The thing to understand about Nampa is that it is not necessarily a bad place to live. Indeed there are a number of good neighborhoods there. That being said IMHO there are better places to live in the treasure valley. With the housing market being down you can find places to buy or rent that really aren't much different between Ada County (Boise, Meridian, Eagle, etc.) and Canyon County (Nampa, Caldwell, Middleton, etc.) and that is why people on here will generally steer them towards Ada County if it is an option. In general the schools in Ada County are a little bit better, you are closer to the Boise River/Greenbelt Area and you don't have to deal with the crazy illogical street network of Nampa (100 in-direct ways to get places, but not one direct route). If you are looking at buying a home property taxes are also higher in Canyon County. For the reasons I mentioned above I live in Meridian even though I work in Nampa. It's a matter of cost benefit analysis and to me even though I can get more house for my money in Canyon County I just feel it's more worthwhile to live and raise my family in Ada County. Once again it's not that Nampa is a bad place to live, indeed you would be better of in Nampa than most comparable sized towns. It's just that in my opinion there are better places to live in the area.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:54 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,328,559 times
Because nothing about Nampa is remarkable or interesting.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:53 AM

2,953 posts, read 6,798,882 times
A big reason to move to the Boise area are things like the Boise foothills, easy access to rivers and mountains for doing outdoor activities. Moving to Nampa puts you 30-60 minutes away from the reasons why Boise makes the various top 20 lists of best cities to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area