Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 04:24 PM

57 posts, read 144,322 times

Advertisements

I'm driving home to the Memphis area from my new home (Seattle) for Thanksgiving this year. I've done lots of long road trips, but not this one before, and never this close to winter out west...
I'm in desperate need of advice on which route is best:
Seattle -> Spokane -> Missoula -> S Dakota & down ...OR...
Seattle -> Boise -> Salt Lake City -> Cheyenne -> Lincoln & down.

I've waited up until this wk to plan my route because the weather is so unpredictable this time of year, and now I'm seeing that it looks like snow starting next week in just about every direction... I don't really have much of a choice, in an SUV with no 4wd or anything, so what's my best bet?

Can someone PLEASE give me some idea as to what the roads are like along these routes? I'm leaning towards heading to SLC from Seattle & going across southern Wyoming to Nebraska, so any info on how the highways are this time of year would be especially appreciated...

Thanks so much in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 05:11 PM

Also, anything fun to do in the Boise ---> Twin Falls area this time of year? I love detours to see something cool

Old 11-12-2011, 10:55 PM

94 posts, read 182,724 times
Definatly Choice number 2. And if you have any free time check out Boise lol.
I've been through both ways before. Going through Spokane and through Montana is much more mountain passes, and uses more gas where as going through Idaho is more flatter and sunnier, gas is cheaper

Old 11-13-2011, 08:58 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
You're getting good advice over on the Wyoming forum, too, but let me suggest a completely different idea: if you're willing to leave as early as next Friday, and you absolutely don't want to travel in the snow, maybe you should consider going south to I-40? It'll add at least another day of driving, but you will avoid both mountain passes and freezing, windy plains if you go I-5 to 99 all the way to Bakersfield and cut east to I-40. You could also go through Boise to SLC all the way to Vegas, then on to Flagstaff and I-40. A long drive, but perhaps worth it if the weather forecast is nasty. On I-5 you'd only have to deal with winter weather around Mt. Shasta.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:25 AM

I did think about that.. It just kills me to add 500 miles on the drive. But I will keep the option open if the weather looks bad enough. Plus I've driven from San Fran down to Flagstaff & over to Memphis, so I know that route & I like it.
The funniest part is that I'm gonna be driving back too, so I'll have to do it all over again after Thanksgiving. I was hoping to take the Sioux Falls -> Missoula -> Seattle route on the way back, because my passenger wants to see Mt Rushmore.. I'm not as worried about that half of the trip because it'll be in a slightly better vehicle and I won't be alone, but with the weather forecasts thus far, we may end up heading back the way you're suggesting.
Sure seems like winter begins next week!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:01 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
The more I read the weather forecasts and forum members' stories about closed roads and black ice etc., the more I'd go with the southern route! At least on the way out! Especially since you know it well. And then you can make it a "Route 66 road trip" (the Flagstaff to Oklahoma City leg of the trip) and stop at some famous diners!

Old 11-15-2011, 01:16 PM

The weather reports looks horrible...!

Okay, so in y'all's opinions, what would you expect the HWY between Oregon -> Boise -> SLC to be like on Friday? I've driven that route (in late summer), and it seemed like there were a lot of curvy mountainous areas, and there was a river... (could I be more vague!?)... but I've driven A LOT of places, so I could be thinking of somewhere else.

I'm still thinking that if I can get a jumpstart driving on Thursday night around 6pm, I could do my best to get to Boise, and see how things are goin at that point. Am I crazy and stupid?

The main thing I'm scared of (because I have the least experience with it) is ice. Could there be ice, or has it not been cold enough for long enough yet?

Thanks for your opinions and thoughts!
(I know I sound ignorant, but I come from a place where the town shuts down for half an inch of sleet!)

Old 11-15-2011, 01:18 PM

My brother did this route in January a few years ago and said there were some scary spots... but January seems much worse than November. He's suggesting that I leave asap Thurs night and make it to Ontario, then try for Cheyenne on Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: