Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 02:08 AM

265 posts, read 683,850 times

Advertisements

So I just compared these cities on a competitors site and I am finding that overall Rapid City is a bit better except the length and bitterness of winter. Taxes are cheaper except Property Tx. I also found that there is more to do there also winter and summer. I have always for the last several years said that Boise is the place for me,now not so sure. Anyone have any thoughts on my results? Thanx Confusion reigns supreme.lol..Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 11:22 AM

51 posts, read 85,151 times
Never been to Rapid City, but I still can't imagine it could come close to offering all the things that Boise appears to. You mean they have a top-tier symphony orchestra that has been performing for 100 years? More to do in summer and winter? Huh? Like what, count license plates?

Seriously, besides what has to be superior cultural amenities in town, in summer you have rafting/kayaking, 3 hours to Sun Valley/Sawtooths and fabulous fly-fishing/hiking/camping; proximity to Yellowstone and other National parks. Within striking distance of Seattle, Portland, Banff, Vancouver. I'm no longer into winter sports but you have skiing a half-hour out of town, world class downhill and cross-country in Sun Valley. I hate humidity too, but I also hate freezing my *** off in winter!

Last edited by photoshopper; 12-16-2011 at 11:35 AM..

Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,850,062 times
Great post photoshopper.

Rapid City population: 67,956
Boise population: 205,671

Rapid City is in um South Dakota while it has a few pretty areas is nothing compared to Idaho. Boise is adjacent to the Rocky Mountain Foothills and all of the other natural ameneties and activities that Rapid City doesn't even come close to offering as well as the city offerings you mentioned photoshopper. There is probably more to do on and in the Boise River during summer time than the entire town of Rapid City. This is amusing to me because I have family in Rapid City who so want to move out of there. I've been to Rapid City to visit a few times and no, not even close to what Boise offers lol. Downtown Boise is on a different planet compared to tiny Rapid City although downtown Rapid City is nice. In Idaho, Rapid City would be more comparable to Nampa or Lewiston or even Pocatello.
On the flip side, some people may prefer Rapid City because it is much smaller than Boise. But I just couldn't live in the midwest especially after living in Idaho.

Enough said.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 12-16-2011 at 12:01 PM..

Old 12-17-2011, 12:27 AM

Default I appreciate the replies

Trust me guys no way am I bashing Boise, I love Boise but I will be kind and give you some evidence..Rapid City is right near Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills,has fishing hiking and all the rest Skiing etc. Just colder for a longer period of time. Less people are a plus. I believe that the eastern part of the state(Idaho) is harsh in winter. There are more jobs available in Rapid City and the whole state yes unemployment is lower by far. Housing is similar but Idaho has income taxes and SD does not,but on the other hand their Property Taxes are out of this world. Health Costs are a bit less in Rapid City. Crime is similar which does pull Boise out front. Yep climate is better..But it is still kinda hard thinking about paying income taxes on money made in another state. Something about that does not agree with me on that. I love Boise and that would be the only place I want to live if I was to live in Idaho..But I am going to take a month or two in each city and find out what is what. I have been in Boise for about a week in August so I know the heat is tolerable and originally coming from Chicago I know cold too. PS I will never Bash Boise..Go Broncos my absolute favorite team. You are the best people and the best area I have ever encountered and your coach is awesome. Peace.Jim

Old 12-17-2011, 12:46 AM

Just sayin guys until monday Rapid City is warmer than Boise.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:39 AM

623 posts, read 1,603,735 times
I have a girlfriend who grew up in South Dakota and lives in Boise now. I asked her what the difference was and she said that Rapid City is much smaller and has a smaller arts and culture scene. Entertainment in Rapid City is around more 'western' themes: ranching, rodeo. Restaurants are less diverse in Rapid City--ethnic cuisine (sushi, thai, etc.) tough to find. Rapid is smaller feeling in every way--"winters are long and dark and damn cold. And ... Less diversity then Boise- really. "

Old 12-17-2011, 06:51 PM

51 posts, read 85,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatehumidity View Post
Just sayin guys until monday Rapid City is warmer than Boise.
check back in Jan/Feb.

Nobody's bashing--

different strokes...

Old 12-18-2011, 11:04 PM

Default Thanx

Hey Benchfan thanks alot that goes a long way in helping my decision which is all this about and I appreciate your post being non-flaming and very helpful.Hey Bench by the way I am a devout pool player so I am looking for a place where I can play pool on leagues and any other time I can get to do it. I have to check out Rapids pool halls which they have three Halls (I do not do bars).Ask your girl if she knows the condition of the Rapid City Pool Halls. I found a few when I was in Boise and you had some decent ones..but, I remember a pool hall near Curtis I think that had light tan cloth that was a busy place but seemed to be in a not so decent area just north of the Airport..Have you been there, or do you play pool at all?, and where would you suggest if you know that I go to the next time I am in town? Thanx in advance. jim

Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 AM

623 posts, read 1,603,735 times
She's been in Boise about ten years now so I'm not sure how current her knowledge is of Rapid City pool halls but I'll ask. As for around here, I believe it's The Pocket on Curtis? The area is fine. If you're thinking about housing that is in close proximity to The Pocket, I'd focus on the area north of Northview between Cole and Curtis and north to Mountain View--those are great west bench neighborhoods. Also, the area north of fairview and east of Curtis to Mountain View is a great neighborhood. There are dozens of apartments and townhomes south of Fairview and west of Curtis--some are very nice and largely full of retirees, others are more rough around the edges. I'm not wild about the neighborhood north of Fairview and west of Liberty, but one of my girlfriends lives in that area and likes it fine. The thing with Boise is that our "worst" neighborhoods are still safer than most neighborhoods anywhere else. They might just look a little junky. Still, we're different in Boise in that you can have a very different quality of neighborhood within a quarter mile distance. People from here are used to this--people moving here tend to rule out entire areas because a few blocks look yucky.

Anyhoo, other than The Pocket, I'm not familiar with pool halls in Boise. My dad used to go there when I was a kid--it has been around forever. I don't think I've ever been there myself. Mulligan's downtown has pool--seems to me they have several tables. They are a bar but a fairly friendly one with other games. The Crescent on Franklin also has a ton of pool tables.

Hopefully someone else will weigh in on this topic for you. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2012, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,337 times
I lived in Rapid City for about 14 years of my life. I'm 20 now and I've lived in Boise for 4.5 years. My family moved out of Rapid in 2008 and we only occasionally visit for a week or two due to my brother's family still lives there. If I had the choice I would take Boise over Rapid ANY DAY. I had several friends whom partied and would do drugs on an ongoing basis. It feels like there is no ambition there since there isn't a huge university scene there. (School of Mines and Technology but that's about it) I also would NOT walk around Rapid City at night. There is a VERY high crime rate there and a good friend of mine was mugged and jumped by a gang walking home from Central High School in plain daylight. They nearly snapped his neck and he was paralyzed from the neck down until he died in late 2009. All the friends I left behind I have on Facebook now, and nothing seems to have changed.

They all still party and drink (despite being under 21) and they aren't really furthering themselves or trying to better themselves. It's very hard to get a job there. My family lived in poverty the entire time there except for maybe one year where my mother worked at Conseco (it's now like NEW or something). The people that I knew that did like it there was due to their jobs in the medical field and they worked at the hospital. The winters are brutal and it can easily get to -15 in the winter. Summers are hot at about 109 during the sturgis rally.

That's another thing, the sturgis rally. 3 weeks of party and jacked up prices from Hot Springs to Sturgis and all the towns between. There are a few things that I miss though. I miss the black hills. It's a beautiful place to camp, but be careful cliff jumping or diving. I lost 3 friends that way. I miss deadwood. It was a wonderful place to learn about the history of the town and get to experience it. I miss the ski slopes and all the free tourist attractions that the black hills offered.

If I DID go back it would be for a month. In June or Early September. That's when it's the best time to do anything there and not be threatened by forest fires or biker babes stripping at the buffalo chip.

There is alot of things I don't like about Boise too.
There needs to be better public transportation.
I feel like Boise could have ALOT more going for it.
Boise State really needs to come up to par on buildings and residential living.
They need to make more affordable apartments for students.
Downtown could be a bit more lively.
I don't like how there can be no overcast for an entire week here.

I hope my take on both towns helped. I know this is like nearly a year late but that's ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area