U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:05 PM

93 posts, read 106,161 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a duplex in the Boise area. Most of the duplexes in my price range of the 600s are older, and not very appealing. The duplexes in Nampa seemed to be similar in price, age, and quality. I happened upon a listing in Caldwell. It was an almost-new, spacious duplex for under $600.
I would have figured Caldwell and Nampa would be about the same in rental prices. Is there a big difference in your opinion? Also, is Caldwell any nicer looking than Nampa?
I have been to Nampa a couple of times, and it didn't seem to have much charm or appeal. I would like a small, nice looking town. But a place with grocery stores, gyms, restaurants. I drive a truck for a living so I am flexible as to where I live. Thanks for your time.

ps... also, which is more likely to have newer-built housing, caldwell or nampa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:37 PM

406 posts, read 586,158 times
Caldwell is much cheaper than Nampa. Nampa is more desirable than Caldwell. You are closer to Boise and it has less crime. To me, the suburban neighborhoods of either city seemed pretty decent. Coming from Oregon, there doesn't seem to be any real bad neighborhood in Idaho. Unless you are staying in real, real low class spot, you should avoid trouble.

Personally, for a duplex like you talk about, I think the extra $50 a month it would cost you to live in Nampa, would be worth it. Why would you want to be so far from Boise, being in Caldwell? Perhaps, that may be a bonus for you. Nampa and Caldwell both have a lot of new development, Nampa probably has more, considering it has almost 100,000 people.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:44 AM

Awesome Mystical. I didnt know cdwell had higher crime, and i am glad to hear u say nampa has many new developments.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by while parked View Post
Awesome Mystical. I didnt know cdwell had higher crime, and i am glad to hear u say nampa has many new developments.
P.S. I didn't mean to say Caldwell was much cheaper than Nampa, but rather just cheaper.. It is NOT much cheaper, is what I meant to say.. Sorry for the typo and confusion.

Personally, for the little difference in expense, I would take the loss of like 100-200 sq ft to not live so far out in Caldwell.. Yeah, Caldwell has a bit of a reputation out here in Boise/Nampa as the "Ghetto". But from what I have heard, like other Idaho ghetto stories, it is overblown. For the most part it is just an inexpensive suburb, with some bad pockets.

For $700-$800/mo I saw some nice houses in the burbs of Nampa.. I know you could score a decent enough of duplex or even apartment for $550-600 in Nampa or even, maybe, Meridian.

Garden City can be option. Crime is probably lower than Caldwell and you can find decent enough places in your price range. It is called Boise's "Ghetto", but I was having a hard time during my house hunting finding where the so-called "ghetto" was located. It all seemed decent enough to me, with a few seedy spots. Once again, coming from Portland, I don't really understand the concept of Idaho ghettos. LOL.

Hey, I don't want to give out any secrets here, but you may also want to try Meridian, Star, Middleton, Emmett and a few other West-Side burbs. You may find great deals, nice suburban communities and country living right around you. My neighbor has got chickens walking around his yard, which is real cool. Makes me feel like I am home on the range, yet still in civilization.

Last edited by MysticalDream; 02-02-2012 at 02:08 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 02:24 PM

thanks, mystical, I would have to say caldwell is MUCH cheaper than Nampa based on the comparisons I have seen over the past couple of days. I doubt I could move that far out, though. It just doesn't feel right even though I am single, don't have employment considerations, etc. I found a little house on the North End near 28th and Hill Road for $650. But it had the obligatory floor that bends when you walk on it, and carpet that looks like it has colonies of germs. In other words, it made my skin crawl. I will keep looking!

Old 02-04-2012, 02:29 PM

to clarify, it seems I can get a much nicer 2br property in caldwald than the same money affords in nampa.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:44 PM

You just got to look around Nampa a bit... I hadn't noticed Nampa being that much more expensive than Caldwell, at least not for houses. The North End in Boise is the most expensive area in the metro, generally speaking.. For $650 you should be able to land a decent enough duplex in West Boise or Meridian. You caught my curiosity, because I may also be searching for a place in this price range if things don't work out for my business prospects. I am seeing quite a few listings.. Just go to craigslist and type in the search box "Boise Duplex", Min 500, Max 700. A lot of decent properties are popping up, ones with newer carpets, flooring and privacy. They are mostly under 1000 sq ft, so if you are looking for a big place then you will have trouble finding in that price range.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 PM

417 posts, read 794,083 times
Yup, plenty of places out there like that. You might even be able to get a small house for $700-$800 in Meridian. I live in Meridian and work in Nampa and I for one am glad I don't live in Canyon County. Not the worst place to live by any stretch but you can keep that wretched Nampa/Caldwell street network. A million indirect ways to get places but not a single direct way to get anywhere.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:21 PM

64 posts, read 65,159 times
Default Also looking.....

I have been looking at houses in Nampa and Caldwell and ahve been surprised that some places in Caldwell take less time to get to Boise then Nampa. I plug the address into Google maps and see the distance and drive time from the house I am looking at to downtown Boise. Most times it is within 5 minutes difference between Caldwell and Nampa. I have seen lots of really nice neighborhoods in Caldwell.......but if I found a comparable house in Nampa for the same price I would go for it. Just because people seem to "think" that the further west you go from Boise the less desirable the area. I have not found that to be true but have herd others speak of it.

Good luck in your search.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 PM

thanks for your answers, I decided to cancel my thirty day notice to vacate, and signed another three month lease. It will give me more time to decide where I want to live. I was getting too stressed out trying to decide if Caldwell might be a good fit for me, or Nampa, etc. It is impossible to decide based on other people's opinions. I will have to go to these areas and spend time at libraries, grocery stores, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area