Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 07:10 PM

22 posts, read 120,845 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating as an RN in May and one of the places I am considering moving is Boise. It looks like a great outdoors town (a plus for me). I understand Idaho to be fairly conservative (not to big of a problem as long as there are some liberals like myself). Any pros and cons of Boise Idaho for a y22 year old liberal RN? Am I crazy for considering this move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 02:13 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
If you live in Boise city limits, it is actually a democratic city the rest of the state and treasure valley are conservative, so no problems there. Signing bonuses for nurses here are upwards of 5 grand, and there is a huge shortage.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:30 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,762 times
10kbluejay,

You should have no problem getting a job as an RN here. My neighbor's sister just graduated and applied to 5 different job openings and received an offer for each one! She is in her early 20's and had no problem at all.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:02 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
boise area needs you... if you're an RN.. welcome.. we'd love to have ya!

Old 09-14-2007, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,358 times
I'd go for it! I moved to Boise in August after graduation from the University of Kansas. I have really enjoyed the city so far! Outdoors is great as you could imagine. I wouldn't worry too much about the social conservative thing. I would be described as quite liberal and I have not been beaten up or abused in any way since I've been here. As with most things, there are always both sides and you will align yourself with others that hold your beliefs! I would recommend looking in the downtown area to live. I'm glad that I did!!

Old 09-14-2007, 07:04 PM

22 posts, read 120,845 times
Default Thanks!

Boise is definently in my top 3 places to move post graduation. Just to get a good balance is there anything you can't stand about the city?

Old 09-16-2007, 12:13 PM

6 posts, read 30,158 times
I would have to say 1 thing about Boise that I don't care for:
lack of a good transportation system - as of now - to help prevent ongoing and future traffic issues due to sprawling on the outskirt of Boise city.
With that said, there is definitely a good group of people working for Planning who have forward visions and who will hopefully get things done to make life in the suburbia more enjoyable.

Beside that, Boise is a really nice place to be. Very nice people, good weather overall, aside for the fires we had this year. Depending on where you would work, and your budget, I would strongly advise for you to look in the north, SE area of Boise. Also, proximity to town, hospitals, airport, and all outdoor recreation.
I am an agent in town if you need services.

Good luck!

Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Boise has some excellent hospitals and I have a friend who just finished med school in Texas and wants to move to Boise and start her career here.
Boise, for being a smaller city, has a lot of surprises and is not as conservative as people might think. When I moved here I was amazed at how progressive the city is and the beautiful downtown area and what it has to offer.
What really impressed me is that Boise has a downtown that is more urban, vibrant, than other larger nearby cities like Salt Lake for instance. I bring up SLC because my friend was thinking of SLC (she has family there) until she visited me here in Boise, and then realized she didn't really want to live in SLC after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area