U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-13-2012, 05:56 PM

392 posts, read 816,354 times
Default possible move to Boise

My husband's company is possibly moving him from Sacramento Boise. (Intel) and we are going up for a scouting trip. Anything you can recommend us seeing so we get a complete view of Boise when making our decision?

We are catholic and were wondering about the catholic schools in the area? Can you comment on them? Any Irish pubs in Boise? From what I read on the forum it seems the north end is a nice place for families. What is considered the north end? i.e. what st. to what st.

Can you also comment on the healthcare in the area? We enjoy the outdoors very much and I think we will miss the ocean but we are wondering how much we would miss it. We are not native to California and have lives in CA for about 11 years and are looking for more of a stable state. I come from the state of Pennsylvania where you move down the road from your family and everyone stays put and stays in the same job and there are roots and the same with my husband. He is from Europe and we would like to find a sense of community.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-14-2012, 10:04 PM

Anyone please?

Unread 02-14-2012, 11:29 PM

816 posts, read 1,067,057 times
Search search search search search search function!

Unread 02-15-2012, 01:13 PM

2,602 posts, read 5,165,844 times
Mossy,

The lack of quick replies (and boisefan88's recommendation) may be because several of these subjects have REALLY been covered in so many threads in the Boise subforum, and people who have time to reply to this sort of repeat request may only have weekends free to spend more time answering the questions.

I'd encourage you to spend some time reading through several threads about these issues and then posting more direct questions about anything you still need help on...

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***

Unread 02-15-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Mossy,

The lack of quick replies (and boisefan88's recommendation) may be because several of these subjects have REALLY been covered in so many threads in the Boise subforum, and people who have time to reply to this sort of repeat request may only have weekends free to spend more time answering the questions.

I'd encourage you to spend some time reading through several threads about these issues and then posting more direct questions about anything you still need help on...
Thank you Sage.

Unread 02-15-2012, 01:31 PM

359 posts, read 461,296 times
Boise is a good community to raise a family. When you come, I recommend getting to know the downtown area, explore the streets a bit. Also learn where all the shopping centers are.

Boise is growing through a growth spurt, and suburbs are sprouting up all around the city. If you want more peaceful, move to a suburb further from the city. Traffic is not a problem in Boise, so it is easy to commute if you know the road systems. People can easily commute from nearby towns like Nampa, Meridian, or Caldwell.

Depends really how far you want to commute, and the kind of lifestyle you ant in Boise. Overall is is a very nice and relaxed area, but could be changing in the coming decades. Look at Garden City possibly for closer to Boise and easier commutes. Eagle is a nice suburb to the northwest of downtown, but a bit longer commute.

Unread 02-15-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbyNW View Post
Boise is a good community to raise a family. When you come, I recommend getting to know the downtown area, explore the streets a bit. Also learn where all the shopping centers are.

Boise is growing through a growth spurt, and suburbs are sprouting up all around the city. If you want more peaceful, move to a suburb further from the city. Traffic is not a problem in Boise, so it is easy to commute if you know the road systems. People can easily commute from nearby towns like Nampa, Meridian, or Caldwell.

Depends really how far you want to commute, and the kind of lifestyle you ant in Boise. Overall is is a very nice and relaxed area, but could be changing in the coming decades. Look at Garden City possibly for closer to Boise and easier commutes. Eagle is a nice suburb to the northwest of downtown, but a bit longer commute.
It seems as if Boise is too good to be true and I can see how with time the state will explore with population growth and with that comes the issues Portland and Austin and the other states deal with. I like what I read about the north end. We like either a urban or country environment and not so much suburban living.

Are there alot of fairs that go on there? What about lakes and rivers?

thanks for the input.

Unread 02-16-2012, 01:51 PM

359 posts, read 461,296 times
I would still check out Eagle. Have never heard anything bad about anyone living from Eagle. It is a nice area, and still close to the "outside" if you ever want to be in nature. Some nice golf courses there as well. The area has a hospital, and is seeing good growth in terms of new shopping centers for consumers. You are always close to supplies when needed, and again, not too far from Boise.

Unread 02-19-2012, 05:39 PM

31 posts, read 19,373 times
Default Welcome to Boise (potentially)

Boise is what Sacremento used to be like 20 years ago. I am extremely confident that you will fall in love with Boise is you can overcome our lack of oceans. You can hope on a plane and get an ocean fix pretty easy though.

I would check out the Greater Boise Chamber of Commerce for some details on the Boise area. They have a wealth of free information which is why my real estate company is a member. Another great resource is the real estate community. We make our living answering these types of questions for our clients. I suggest not signing an Exclusive Buyer Representation Agreement until you talk to several quality agents first to make sure you select one that is a good fit for your family.

Boise has a large variety of religions representing including a strong Catholic community. Bishop Kelly High School is very sought after. Bishop Kelly High School - Boise, Idaho

The closest thing we have in Boise to an Irish Pub is probably Ha Penny. Downtown Boise Irish Pub @ Ha' Penny Bridge Pub It is downtown in the the BoDo (Boise Downtown) complex. You can have the kids enjoy a movie at the Theater across the street while you enjoy a pint or two.

The North End of Boise is essentially the older more historic part of town between the Boise River and the Mountains. There is no exact boundary but roughly from St. Lukes hospital to 36th Street and between State Street and Hill Road. Those homes are typically older and on much smaller lots. Due to the location and proximity to downtown and the ability to ride a bike to the trails in the mountains and to work, etc,. these properties sell for more than brand new homes in Meridian.

The two main hospitals are St. Al's and St. Lukes. We are also blessed to have the Mountain States Tumor Institute (MSTI) and the Humphrey's Diabetes Center here in Boise!

If you love the outdoors, you will love Boise since there is so much public land to enjoy right outside of Boise. The Ridge To River's Trails along the mountains and rivers will keep you hiking and biking for a year without having to use the same path twice! You can hunt deer, elk, bear, turkey, wolf, cougar and more within a half hour of downtown.

Snow skiing at Bogus Basin runs till 10pm at night and the night skiing is great due to not being crowded and being able to look down on the city lights of Boise on a clear day.

Make sure you check out Eagle and Meridian as well. Eagle is typically more expensive homes including new homes still being built on the river. Meridian has a mix of real estate for most any budget. Kuna is a small rural town just 10 minutes south of the interstate and there are homes on acreage down to standard lots there too.

There is a definate reason why Boise has ranked on the top ten lists of places to live over the years. I have lived in several foreign countries and throughout the US and love it here!

How much time will you be able to spend? Let your Realtor know how much time you will be able to dedicate to the tour of the area so they can plan accordingly. For example, I have some clients flying in tonight for 3 days. Tomorrow, we will just tour the cities and community. The next day we will look at homes after we determine which area they like best. Then on day 3, we will interview several builders I know to give them an idea of what they can build in comparison to the existing home inventory. Right now, lot prices allow us to be pretty competitive with short sales and bank owned properties!

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 02-19-2012 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: ToS Violation

Unread 02-28-2012, 12:33 PM

2,602 posts, read 5,165,844 times
Folks, I pruned this thread so we can get back to the original conversation. Suffice it to say that while we can all be more gracious to newcomers' questions, the search function is there for a reason...to give newcomers a good sense of much of the info that's been shared. And if you personally disagree, then I invite you to be the first to step up and answer any/all questions posted on the board...we certainly don't mind you sharing from your own personal experiences as an Idaho/Boise resident. Now let's get back to talking about Mossy's question(s)....

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area