U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 01:07 PM

11 posts, read 14,056 times
Default Boise Bound!!!!!

hello
I am currently looking to move to Boise and i have a few questions that i hope someone ore people can answer

1. How bad are the spiders in Boise???

2. How easy is it to find a job when relocating to Boise

3. How bad is the Humidity in Boise in the summer months??

I hope someone can help these are just a few question that i have and i will have more to come soon.
I know i can look up research on all these questions but i would rather hear from someone who lives there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 01:13 PM

674 posts, read 689,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltamborini25 View Post
hello
I am currently looking to move to Boise and i have a few questions that i hope someone ore people can answer

1. How bad are the spiders in Boise???

Not terrible. Hobos and black widows can be common though.

2. How easy is it to find a job when relocating to Boise

Not easy at all, depending on what you're looking for. Call centers, retail and server jobs are the easiest; the rest... good luck.

3. How bad is the Humidity in Boise in the summer months??

No humidity.

I hope someone can help these are just a few question that i have and i will have more to come soon.
I know i can look up research on all these questions but i would rather hear from someone who lives there
Use the search too!

Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 PM

thank you for the reply how common are those spiders due to the fact that i am allergic to spider bites??

and any labor jobs how hard are those to get

and what about rent for a 3+ bedroom with pets?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Default boise bound 2

a couple more questions i have

how good are the schools in boise?

and what would make boise a great place to live??

Old 03-20-2012, 10:50 AM

674 posts, read 689,684 times
Quote:
thank you for the reply how common are those spiders due to the fact that i am allergic to spider bites??

Every place I've lived had hobo spiders; black widows are mostly hidden in places like garages and sheds and crawl spaces. I've never had a spider bite, though.

and any labor jobs how hard are those to get

Pretty tough. Depends on too many things to be able to answer here.

and what about rent for a 3+ bedroom with pets?

Craiglist would be a better guide, but if you're looking for a 3 bedroom home with pets in the Boise area... maybe $850+. Apartments... maybe $750+ but good luck with the pet thing. Prices will drop if you get out toward Nampa and Caldwell; will increase the closer to downtown Boise you want to be.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:39 AM

285 posts, read 326,815 times
I think pets + boise + decent neighborhood + 3br is going to be $1,000 or more.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:59 AM

2,741 posts, read 5,764,403 times
Quote:
a couple more questions i have

how good are the schools in boise?

and what would make boise a great place to live??
Merged into this thread. Please do not make multiple threads just to ask follow up questions along the same general theme. Thanks!

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***

Old 03-23-2012, 06:42 PM

208 posts, read 251,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILI.EB View Post
I think pets + boise + decent neighborhood + 3br is going to be $1,000 or more.
I just rented a 2br/2ba apartment for 735. I think the 3 bdrm units go for 850.
It looks like a really nice place. My sister went and checked it out for me, she is picky as h*** and she says its beautiful and really liked it.

Check them out, Stoneridge apartments

Old 03-23-2012, 06:55 PM

285 posts, read 326,815 times
I was thinking house, not apartment, sorry.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 PM

5,368 posts, read 10,271,535 times
I'm pretty anti-spider, and I can say we do get some. Worse than most other local bugs, but not horrible overall. Right now is the season for them, I saw 2 at home today and one at work. But the ones we get, most people don't have a good reaction to (the aforementioned black widows and hobos), so the fact that you are allergic is sort of irrelevant. Some people can just shrug off a hobo spider bite, but most will need some sort of treatment. It really depends where and how you live though. If you live in an existing subdivision, keep your lawn under control and don't spend a lot of time outside off the beaten trail, you'll see a few a year. If you prefer to live out in the sticks or near fields, or you spend a lot of time on trails, you'll see way more.

We do get a lot of black widows though. My mom was working on a house one day (parents are general contractors), and the post holes had been dug for fence posts, but the fence wasn't up yet. Every single post hole had at least one black widow in it. But the house was next to an empty field. But black widows are pretty cowardly. If you come near, they are likely to run for cover. You will get bit if you are stupid, and stick your hand down into your sprinkler box or into a woodpile without wearing gloves, but if you pay attention, you can avoid them. Hobo spiders are less common in Boise (I've actually never seen one), but more aggressive. In 33 years, I've only been bit once, and it was at an outdoor wedding out in the boonies. I think it was hiding on the underside of the chair I sat on for the wedding, since the bites were on the backs of my knees. My hands and feet itched for 6 months and the bites formed huge blisters. Could have been a hobo, the doc couldn't say from the bloodwork.

Jobs are tough everywhere right now, and I wouldn't suggest anyone move to a new location unless they have a job already lined up, or a year's expenses in savings, because it could take that long to find a job. On the other side, I heard today that Idaho's UE rate is down to 8%, which I think is quite a bit better than average, and our housing market is starting to recover, so my fingers are crossed for further improvement.

The rental market is currently crazy in town, so finding a 3 bedroom will be tough with pets unless everything else about you is perfect. If your credit is 750+, you are a nonsmoker without a ton of extra vehicles, great rental history, good income, etc, then a LL might be convinced to allow the pets. We're getting 4-5 applicants on most of our 3 bedrooms the day they come available (houses and plexes and in the $800-$1100 range, mostly around $900-$1000, apartments will be less money and easier to find, but less likely to take the pets). It also depends on what types of pets and how many. We don't ever allow aggressive breeds of dogs or any puppies under a year, and many of the owners we manage for won't take cats. Anything more than 2 pets will probably be a rejection.

I can't speak to schools at all, as I have no kids.

And "what makes Boise a great place to live" is too vague to answer. What makes it great for me might make you hate it. I suggest browsing back through the myriad of other posts on this topic to see what people love and hate about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area