U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 02:06 PM

285 posts, read 747,918 times

Advertisements

It's so nice that it has been snowing for several hours without stopping, but it won't stick. How sad. We got cheated out of a winter this year

thats all.
I love Boise, but it needs more snow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 05:35 PM

266 posts, read 629,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILI.EB View Post
It's so nice that it has been snowing for several hours without stopping, but it won't stick. How sad. We got cheated out of a winter this year

thats all.
I love Boise, but it needs more snow!
Too warm for snow to stick in the valley during the day, today. If you want to see snow stick, head up to the mountains, they are not to far.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:56 PM

537 posts, read 1,435,870 times
Too warm and the snow is too wet to stick. Not sure why I just repeated pretty much what was posted above me.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 AM

It sure didn't feel too warm! It must have been all that wind.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:19 PM

1,955 posts, read 3,082,809 times
The ground has to be cold enough for the snow not to melt on impact. Since it was above freezing for quite awhile before it snowed, the surface didn't get cold enough.

Personally, after the last two cold, wet springs we've had, I'm hoping it warms up early this year. Last year we barely got out of the 50s until June.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:25 PM

Yes, I remember last year. The cold temps were very persistent well into the end of spring.
I'm relatively new to this part of the state. Were this year's and last year's snowfall total normal? light? heavy?

Old 03-22-2012, 04:31 PM

8,043 posts, read 24,398,358 times
I'm 33 and I have lived in Boise all my life. When I was little, it was totally normal to have a real winter. I remember spending lots of time outside building snowmen, or forts, or making snow angels, or snowball fights. Recess in the wintertime usually involved playing in the snow. We didn't get a TON of snow, but we got a fair amount most winters. On rare occasion, we got enough that it was measured in feet instead of inches. I remember getting enough in 89-90 that it reached the level of our trampoline. The last 15 or 20 years have been much more mild. Most years, I shovel once or twice, and the rest of the time it melts quickly enough it isn't worth shoveling. One recent year, I had to shovel like 8 or 10 times, but that is the exception rather than the rule, of late.

A normal winter in Boise these days is cold, but dry. If we do get snow, usually it sticks around for a long time because we get an inversion, which keeps it cold.

Edited to say: So this year's snowfall was about typical for recent years. Last year was heavier than normal for recent years, but more normal for 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area